• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Pepper size (rellenos)

HellfireFarm

Business Member
I really like Chile Rellenos, but I seem to have a hard time getting peppers consistently big enough to make good ones. For Anaheims (and the related Numex varieties) I use Sahuaro and Big Jim - Sahuaro is the most consistent size-wise, Big Jim generally turn out a bit small for stuffing. For Poblanos I have yet to find a variety that produces good-size peppers.

I've SEEN what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find the right varieties, or the right growing conditions, to get it.

And on a side note - I would like to get some bigger Jalapenos too, for my customers. The ones I've had last couple years are a bit on the small side.

I've grown a good size pepper for stuffing this year, only problem is I have no idea what it is, possible seed or tag mix up. Whatever they are they are big and tasty. If I ever find the name I'll let you know - not much help for you there.
ETA: it's probably one of the Spanish peppers - that helps doesn't it? :lol:

As for jalapenos - have you thought of growing espelettes, they're bigger and have the same heat

Last edited:
I really like Chile Rellenos, but I seem to have a hard time getting peppers consistently big enough to make good ones. For Anaheims (and the related Numex varieties) I use Sahuaro and Big Jim - Sahuaro is the most consistent size-wise, Big Jim generally turn out a bit small for stuffing. For Poblanos I have yet to find a variety that produces good-size peppers.

I've SEEN what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find the right varieties, or the right growing conditions, to get it.

And on a side note - I would like to get some bigger Jalapenos too, for my customers. The ones I've had last couple years are a bit on the small side.

Have you tried Poblanos? My favorite pepper for them. There are some that grow hotter if that is what you are looking for.

I make them out of Rocotos,too but it's not easy to get them to grow as big as they do in the Andes.

Although I haven't tried them as such, Prairie Spice might be very good for rellenos. Its size is consistent and the plant quite prolific. Nice little heat as well.

I have grown several things from Bunny Hop Seeds, and have been pleased with the results. We grow Prairie Spice every year now. Plus, Ellie is awesome to work with.

While I was just on her site, I see she has listed Lytles Jalapeño. I haven't tried it yet, but reading about its origins sure makes it interesting. It sounds like a jalapeño you might like. Dunno. I like growing jalapeños, so I might give it a try next season.

Just some options for you.

Have you tried Poblanos? My favorite pepper for them. There are some that grow hotter if that is what you are looking for.

I make them out of Rocotos,too but it's not easy to get them to grow as big as they do in the Andes.

Same issue, even more so, with poblanos. I'm trying Carranza this year, but so far every variety I've tried are rather small (last one I tried was Trident). So far, Sahauro (anaheim) has been the most consistent with large peppers.

save the seeds from a big, fat, meaty Hatch pepper next year when they are in stores. Most Mexican joints use Pablanos I think

Last edited:
Hidalgo Poblano (hybrid)
Poblano Ancho Gigantea
I think I've tried the second one, but worth trying again. I'll check out the Hidalgo.

Good call. Just gotta make sure to roast those skins off. Thats the primary pepper used for rellenos here in socal
I use them pretty much interchangeably (poblabo vs anaheim), depending on size. The stores often have huge poblanos, but the ones I grow don't have enough room to stuff well :(

Looks like I have a few seeds to order!

I'm not sure about that Hidalgo, usually that's the name of a serrano so I might avoid that one, but maybe it's a poblano too, I found it in google so buyer beware. However the other one I have heard of.

A quick search turns up a place called Hoss seeds with Hidalgo Poblano, and Reimer seeds. Refining fire has the hidalgo serranos, as does ChilePlants.

Might be worth trying a pack of seeds, that's not a major investment.

Back