• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

PEPPER SPECIES: BROKEN DOWN

WHAT IS THE DEAL?

• All that matters is taste and heat.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • It is imperative to have a basic understanding of pepper species.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • I can name all of the pepper species.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I named my son "Frutescans"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My name is POTOWIE and I'm about to splain it.

• My name is OMRI and I have some Strong opinions about this.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I know the difference between a habanero, and a non hab c chinense.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Aren't all peppers the same species?

• My name is IGG and I no longer publish my thoughts. (all in good fun bro;))

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
OK, so I have no idea why there are so many species of peppers. I have no idea of what any of the species mean, other than the fact that c chinense has the potential to be hottest, but is not always hot.

What is the deal? and does your average chilihead actually need to know any of this?

Not a well thought out poll, SORRY!

Polls are just more fun.;)

The poll should have allowed multiple choices;)
Each species has its own unique characteristics so I think its quite important for chileheads to have a basic understanding of pepper species if they want to grow them and appreciate them optimally.

Yeah, OK. The poll is fuggered.

I apologize.;)

Why are there versions of jolokia;s etc. that are normally c chinense, but it is the "frutescan" variety.

What the heck?

Are you talking about the naga jolokia (Pc-1) which is a frutescens, or regular nagas/bhuts which are mostly chinenses with some frutescens?

The naga jolokia(pc-1) was the first type available in these parts with the naga name(along with purple naga jolokia). Originally it was thought to be the hidden jewel we now know as Naga morich/bhut etc. but many people have been ripped off and dissapointed by seed vendors who still market them as the hottest in the world:(

That may be most of the problem.

So species basically denotes a group of peppers that can easily interbreed?

While type separates the members of a given species?

I would say a basic understanding is important for chilliheads.

From growing conditions through to cooking what varieties are best for particular dishes/cuisine a basic knowledge will save any painfull experiences.

He used to publish his thoughts straight from his brain, and they were damn near incomprehensible;)

Thanks for the link Omri.....but it'll have to be the thought that counts!;)

Back