• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Pepper Variety Confirmation

Hi folks,

I was mis-sold chilli pepper seeds last year and instead of growing Fatallii peppers, I ended up with some weird C. annuum hybrids. I'm now paranoid and want to make sure I'm growing the peppers I think I'm growing.

Does this look like a young Habanero Chocolate to you?
IMG_1601.jpg

And does this look like a Trinidad Scorpion in the early stages?
IMG_1603.jpg

Also, my plants are a bit odd in that although they're both C. chinense, my two Trinidad Scorpion plants are a LOT bushier than my two Habanero Chocolate plants. Have a look for yourselves. The Trinidad Scorpion plant is in the black pot, and the Habanero Chocolate is in the red pot. There's quite a noticeable difference in bushiness – is that normal?

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

Different varieties of chinenses do grow differently from each other, so don't worry about one being more or less bushy than another - that's normal. I grew 48 chile plants a couple summers ago, most of which were chinenses and let me assure you that each variety had a unique shape.

The scorp looks scorp-shaped. The hab is hab-shaped but as far as being chocolate, you won't know til it ripens. So far, it looks like you did alright. Sorry you had a bad experience with your previous seed source, that would suck caring for a plant that isn't what you wanted it to be...a real waste of resources. Keep up the good work. Happy growing.

-ms1476

Thanks folks! No doubt I'll keep you updated and upload photos of the peppers once they ripen. It's not like you'll have ever seen what a Trinidad Scorpion or Chocolate Hab look like before ;)

That Trinidad Scorpion looks exactly like the first Trinidad Scorpion Butch T that fruited this year and is now almost completely red (the tip being the last to turn). Saying that, the only other fruit on the same plant looks nothing like that and the 10 fruit on the plant at work all look like alien variations of that shape.

I also have 5 chocolate Habanero plants in my grow room and some of the ones just starting to ripen look similar to yours.

I've just cut off my first Trinidad Scorpion Butch T and will be having a small part of the placenta and the top for dinner tonight. I've put the two main halves in the freezer for the moment. It took ages to start turning red and it took just as long for the colour to extend to the tip of the tail. I put a couple of millimetres of the placenta on the tip of my tongue and it exploded with heat. It has a really intense sweet aroma and flavour.

TrinidadScorpionButchT.jpg

Back