• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pepper's and pollen??

does it really matter if you grow your plants close to each other and have the pollen from all the types swirling around will effect the pepper itself and taking seeds from that pepper will you get the same pepper as when you started or will it be different :?: :?: :?:

If a pepper cross pollinates, the fruit from that season will not be effected, but the seeds saved from the fruit will produce a cross bred plant. The fruit will probably look the same as the mother plant, but it may have a different heat or taste, depending on which plant supplied the pollen (father plant).

Pam said:
If a pepper cross pollinates, the fruit from that season will not be effected, but the seeds saved from the fruit will produce a cross bred plant. The fruit will probably look the same as the mother plant, but it may have a different heat or taste, depending on which plant supplied the pollen (father plant).

Are you saying there is a difference in shape/taste between a bell(mother)/jalapeno(father) cross and a jalapeno(mother)/bell(father) cross? I didn't think that mattered in peppers.

I don't do a lot of cross breeding, but it is my understanding that the baby plant's peppers are usually shaped most like the mother plant's peppers. The affect on heat and taste varies with the cross.

Back