• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peppers are yellow...will they turn red?

Hello,

I love spicy peppers so my friend gave me one of his plants last fall.  Right now I have three yellow peppers on my plant, one has been yellow for a couple weeks.  I was under the assumption they would turn red.  After a bit of research I found that there are varieties of yellow ghost peppers as well.  What do you suggest I do?  Pick them or wait and see if they turn red?

Thank you in advance!!

Dustin

Yes a picture would help. Also, do you have any idea what kind of plant you have?

Oh, and welcome to THP.

49f1a443c5b2a-1.jpg

Here you go!  I have no clue what kind of a plant it is, other than he planted ghost pepper seeds last year.  When the temps started to get cold last year, he gave myself and another friend each a plant.  I wasn't sure mine would produce fruit given the plant is indoors.  Not many options when you live in NYC with no back yard.  But so far I've gotten three peppers.  The leaves are large, but very sparse.  The plant continues to produce flowers every week but most just fall off.  Here is a pic of two of them, there is one more that is the same color.  Let me know if you can't see the picture.  This is my first time on this site...
photo.JPG

Beautiful peps.

Looks like yellow Bhut Jolokia, AKA yellow ghost pepper. But I am not too sure with all of the variety out there.

Pick them, they are ripe.  But they have more of a Naga Morich shape than a Bhut Jolokia.  Interesting as I have never heard of a yellow Naga Morich.  Either way, they look great.

Good to know!  Also, I want to dry them but I don't own a dehydrator and I don't have a back yard to hang them in.  How would you suggest?

compmodder26 said:
Pick them, they are ripe.  But they have more of a Naga Morich shape than a Bhut Jolokia.  Interesting as I have never heard of a yellow Naga Morich.  Either way, they look great.

That shape is more similar to your pepper.

Awesome looking peppers! I love that sharp spike they have at the end. Anything that solid bright yellow color is going to stay that way. This really makes me want to grow some yellow varieties next season.

I can only address your first question, this pepper is yellow, it will not turn red. and it looks wonderful and ripe

I was drying datils, so not too long as they are smaller.

I think it was about 45 mins. to 1 hour? The best thing to do is check on them every so often. You want them dried not burned. If you can handle the heat, you might be able to tell when they are ready by touch, like a little squeeze. They shouldn't feel springy. You should cut them in half of course, and take out any seeds you want to save.
Actually I think I had the heat a little higher, like 225. But I wouldn't suggest too much heat or they could get scorched, especially where they touch the pan. Its good to roll them around a little, or flip them when checking on the progress.

Back