• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Peppers for home made chili powder

I would like to make my own chili powder and was wondering what peppers you folks use for yours or some good suggestions.

Thanks.

To clarify, I believe he is looking for peppers to make a chili mix/seasoning (to make chili, the meal), not a chili (pepper) powder.

Try ancho for some sweet earthiness and red savina for heat and flavor, this will kick up any chili.

I use a lot of milder Mexican peppers in my chili like: ancho, chilaca, guajillo, Anaheim, casabel, chimayo, and I often smoke the peppers too.

thehotpepper.com said:
To clarify, I believe he is looking for peppers to make a chili mix/seasoning (to make chili, the meal), not a chili (pepper) powder.

Exactly, thanks thp.

Looking like it's a very personal thing. Thanks a bunch for the tips gang. Now it's time to find the farmers market. I've got a few of the hots/superhots left to spice things up, I need some of the more common ones now for the bulk.

Gonna have me some fun.:)

If you want, you can go to this google search...homemade chili powder...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...t=result&cd=1&q=homemade+chili+powder&spell=1

what I did was take about 20 different recipes and listed all the different peppers as the column headers in excel...then I put the quantities of the peppers in the appropirate column of the rows where the chile name was...then I looked at the common peppers used...

just the way I did it to get a starting place for my powder a couple of years ago...

AJ

You never cease to amaze with your analytical approach to pretty much anything....I think that's pretty cool, not often that you see that nowadays.

Thanks for letting us all in on your methods!:hell:

U Da Man!

my favorite is probably this one -
2 part orange hab
2 parts cayenne
1 part tobasco

its got a decent heat level, and some good flavors

Sid03SVT said:
my favorite is probably this one -
2 part orange hab
2 parts cayenne
1 part tobasco