• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South African

Welcome to PeriPeri's Grow 13/14/15/2016: South Africa

If you would like to see the 2012/2013 Grow, you can see it Here

First a little info about our country:

South Africa is situated at the very southern tip of the African continent. Our country ranges a divers spectrum of cultures and religions and of course habitats. Our country is flanked by the Atlantic on the SW coast line and the Indian Ocean on the NE coast line. Our diverse habitats range from tropical to sub saharan and even desert up north. One thing is for sure, the high summer temperatures and generally mild winter temperatures mean that our country does offer a great opportunity to grow chillies (among other things). To those who are not familiar with our country, Africa probably conjurs up images of harsh barren landscapes with dry baked un-fertile soil and wild animals roaming all over the place. South Africa is probably one of the most established african countries with a large farming sector and loads of fertile soil.

The locality of where this grow will take place is largely situated inland near Pretoria. Altitude here is about 4000ft above sea level. We are talking mild winters with some frost early mornings (temperatures drop at night due to altitude). Daytime temps in winter are round about 21ºC and night time temps can drop as low as -4ºC on a very cold night. There is no rain on the "Highveldt" as we call it in winter. As a rule of thumb all months of the year without an "R" do not have rain. These are our dry months, which go from May till August. Our summer is also our rainy season. This goes from September till April. Temperatures in Pretoria in Summer vary 30ºC - 40ºC daytime to a low of 17ºC on average at night. While there is often long dry spells without rain, rains usually accumulate as huge thunderstorms that bring flash floods, hail and sever lightning.

The farm has a borehole which provides water for the garden. Although at present there is no irrigation system. One of my projects for this year.

Animal wise, we have loads of insects, snakes, scorpions, spiders, primates (Baboons and Vervet Monkeys) as well as Carnivores such as Jackals, Rooicats (mountain lion) and other smaller wild cats. But as far as chillies go, the monkeys and baboons are the biggest problem as they do eat the milder chillies and destroy plants while foraging. There are no traps big enough for monkeys and generally they are very clever to get around most deterrents, so full enclosure with shade netting is the best way.

Other than this, I would say that while there has been much bad publicity about the country in the press, our country is a beautiful country with diversity everywhere, the land, the people, the cultures and the religions. Hence our country is called the rainbow nation. Most famous person is probably Nelson Mandella who established our new democracy in the New South Africa after the apartheit era. Our country is a young democracy in the making - but most of all, our country is a diverse and beautiful country with much to offer and of course home of the Big 5, Blue Whale and Great White Shark... and much much more. Just a quick and very narrow snapshot of what our wonderful country is about!

Last years experience has given me a better understanding of growing at the farm and these are the pitfalls from my exercise last year.

Generally last year was a great season. Great weather - hot and dry. Lots of mistakes made, but things that will not be repeated. Last year we had about 78 different varieties of chillies. We had an estimated 1000 plants in the soil. Last season was our first season growing in the soil and based on previous experiences with growing in pots... I will say adieu to pots and hello soil.

1) Watering. As mentioned there is no irrigation. Water is available a plenty, but regular watering in these hot climates is a must. So for me, I will be looking closely at getting some sort of a watering system up and running. Added problem is that the farm is located about 1 hour from where I live, so watering every day during the week was reliant on staff at the farm watering ever second day during the week. Staffing issues resulted in the loss of quite a few plants due to non watering. So irrigation and a computer will be priority.

2) Season. Last year we started planting seedlings late October/Early November. This year we aim to be in the soil early October. Germination started earlier this season beginning July. I have also acquired a green house which I will use for the seedlings.

3) Planting. Last year planting got into a big muddle. This year I will be more methodical. Also, we planted too close. We found that this becomes a problem when harvesting. We did not feel that last years approach of planting two seedlings together being a problem. We did not notice any significant lower yield with plants that had been planted together as opposed to individually. And found that the cohabitation of plants together (in pairs) actually helped in areas where seedlings were exposed to direct sun. In fact, cohabitation resulted in better growth and larger plants.

4) Spacing. Last year we planted seedlings approx 45cm apart. We would like to extend this to 60cm as we found 45cm to be too dense. We were happy with using channels and rows which helped retain water for approx two - three days between watering and helped channel any run off out of the field. Also, there was no pooling or puddling which was better I think.

5) Insects/monkeys/Snails. Mostly cutworm issues with small seedlings. We will tackle this by using (Stickman's stick method) and through pellets - if need be. Pepper maggots: We suffered quite extensively with Pepper Maggots. We will implement sacrificial boundary plants, fly tapes and beer traps (not for me but the wasps). Monkeys: Plant inside enclosures only. We will be looking at extending the current shade net enclosure, but will need to raise funding for this. Giant African Land Snail: Amazing buggers these. We found lots but only a few that had dug into the plants root system to suck the minerals from plant roots. Not much of a threat as these were just removed by hand, but the enclosure goes a long way to preventing them from getting in.

6) Weeds. Last year we had a problem with weeds. Weeds were time consuming at the start of the season and probably brought about by the application of horse manure. We will try and look at applying some kind of ground cover to reduce weeds, but this will be advised at a later stage.

7) Planting. Last year we took young seedlings and planted them in a nursery. Once big enough we transplanted them densely in the inside enclosed garden (which has 40% shade cloth) and then transplanted the young plants to the open fields once about 15 - 20cm in size. We would like to cut out all the extra work and transplanting, which we found to just delay growth. Every time you transplant, the plant growth is set back... so we will be planting directly into the plants final destination. This means we will be waiting for the pants to get to 15-20cm in size before planting in the soil. Last season we planted seedlings in the soil when they were very small and this also resulted in losses through cutworm.

8) Fertilizers. Nothing hectic. The soil at the farm is incredibly rich and fertile soil. But we found last year that Seaweed and Fish fertilizers to be brilliant and totally harmless. So we will definitely be sticking with this recipe. Out of time constraint, last season, pellets were applied to the surface as opposed to mixing the pellets into the soil around the base of the plant, so this season we will try and do this properly. We alo will pay particular attention to maintaining the mounds around the root base and regularly loosening the soil. With our flash floods and heavy downpours the mounds do flatten and the soil becomes compacted. This results in roots being exposed, water running off the soil as opposed to into the soil and ultimately impacting on the plants optimal growth.

9) Support. Last year we added support as the plants became bigger. Not knowing how big some of the plants would get. We have a better idea this year and will be implementing supports at the beginning. We have two types of bamboo on the farm and will be using the harder thinner bamboo as this does not disturb the roots as much.

10) Drink. More beer. Last year we did not have nearly enough beer to get us through the backbreaking work... so there will have to be more beer for sure :) Just one more thing on that, Nature is an amazing process. Trust in nature. Everything has its place and jumping to intervene (which we always want to do) is sometimes the worst thing that we can do. Plants are very forgiving once established and a lot more resilient than we give them credit for. So chill. Have a beer when the nerves are frayed and you want to reach for the napalm. Nature is amazing most of the time and things in nature have survived a million times over. For aphids there are ladybirds. For insects there are the birds... if you napalm the aphids, the ladybirds will go... just chill and have a beer :) This is my theory and I am sticking to it lol

Ok, lots on the cards this year. plenty to do and arrange and it will be kicking off shortly. The plants from last year are still in the garden and field. I only over wintered the special plants. Of these there are 100 mature plants that I rescued from the winter frost. The other 900 plants are still in the soil. It looks like armageddon in the fields. Some plants have been taken by the frost for sure, but others are showing signs of life. I plan to go this week to weed out the dead plants from the survivors and prune dead wood. I am planning to rearrange things somewhat, so once I have established the survivors, I will be transplanting those plants to get order back into the fields. This will allow me to get the vacant land ready for new plants.

As mentioned germination is well under way. Propagator has been fired up now for month and a bit and seedlings are coming along just great. First week of October will be my D-Day for planting.

Loads of exciting new chillies on the go this season. I had intended to cut down on the number of plants this year... but guess what :D

Grow List 2013/2014

Aji Lemon
Angkor Sunrise
Anheim
Antilaise Caribbean
Avenir
Baby Belle Pimento
Bahamian Goat
Bali Long
Bali Naga
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Cappuccino
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia X Habanero Giant White
Big Jim
Bile Bile (Zimbabwean PeriPeri)
Biquinho
Bishops Crown
Black Pearl
Blondie
Bonda Ma Jacques
Boriya Mirch
Cabe Merah
Calapeño Thunder
California Wonder Golden
Calypso
CARDI Red
Carolina Reaper
Cayenne
Joe's Long Cayenne
Cherry Sweet
Cherry Bomb
Cheyenne
Cheyenne X Thai
Condom (Aji Verde)
Datil
Devil's Tongue Brown
Devil's Tongue White
Ecuadorian Sweet
Explosive Embers
Facing Heaven
Fatalii Red
Fatalii White
Fatalii Yellow
Fidalga Roxa
Fish Pepper
Goronong Cili
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Champagne
Habanero Gambia
Habanero Golden
Habanero Paper Lantern
Habanero Peach Long
Habanero Red
Habanero Large White
Habanero White Jellybean
Hong Kong
Hot Pixies
Hungarian Hot Wax
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Hungarian White Apple
Ignite
Jalapeño
Jalapeño El Jefe
Jamaican Gold
Jawala
Long Thai
Madballz7
Makulu Peri
Malaguetta
Manzano Orange
Mata Frade
Morango
Naga King Jolokia
Naga Morich (European)
Naga Morich (Indian)
Naga Viper
NagaBon
Nagalah
Orange Blob
Pasilla Bajio
Pata Pario
PeriPeri (Mozambique)
PeriPeri (Malawi)
PeriPeri (SA)
Phuli Jiyoti
Pimenta de Neyde
Purple Tiger
Red Savina
Ring of Fire
Rocotillo
Rodo
CARDI Yellow Scorpion
Scarlet Lantern
Scotch Bonnet
Scotch Bonnet Peach Long
Serrano
Sikanya
Tabasco
Thai Dragon
Thaibo
Trinidad 7 Pot Barrakpore
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah X Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad 7 Pot Brainstrain
Trinidad 7 Pot Burgundy
Trinidad 7 Pot Douglah
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah
Trinidad 7 Pot Red
Trinidad 7 Pot White
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad Scorpion ButchT X Moruga
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow X Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion Long Tail
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow FG
Tuscan Frgitello (Pepperoncini)

122 different types - I hope that will be it :D

Thank you to Stickman for the seeds. Thank you to Conor for his seeds and thank you to Meatfreak for the amazing selection he sent. I am still hoping that Walkgood's package will arrive - so thanks for those in advance my friend!

Hi Charles... I am sure they will turn out good. In the mean time we have had a week of torrential rains... today is the first day that we have had sun since Sunday last week. It has rained non stop with rainfall of between 25 - 50 mm every 3hours on average... that is a lot of water. I knew there was a reason I made my mounds so big this year.

stickman said:
Glad the rains found you prepared last week Lourens. Are you seeing any splitting in your tomatoes and peppers?
Slitting? Exploding you mean... yea - its a fruit fly haven. I have even found Thai Dragons are splitting... Joes Long are hating the wet weather and so are the Naga Kings... to mention but a few! But more about that later... whole day at the farm on my own tending to the flock... a hot bath first me thinkst!

So where to start this week? As mentioned, we have had huge rains here... the season started with rains and is ending with rains. Everywhere there is flooding. Rivers leading through the Kruger Park into Mozambique are flooded... roads are pot holed... its all just too much rain. But some plants are fairing better than others.

The wild species... Puta Pario and Cumari are loving it. Ecuadorian Sweet, Baby Belle Pimento, Bishops,Morango, Brown Haba, Trinidad Scorpions, Douglahs all holding their own. Nagas are not liking it much.

The tomatoes are just exploding and the fruit flies are right there... and locusts too.

IMG_5426.jpg

Right on the mark there Rick!

Some chillies, like the Thai Chillies and Cayennes are not enjoying the wet weather either. Joe's Long Cayenne are rotting on the plants. Thai chillies are bursting open and rotting on the plant. One plant all pods had burst open and were rotten inside.

The Bishops and Baby Belle Pimentos are flooding in. The are simply massive producers. But this is ok... makes for good sauce base stock.

IMG_5510.jpg

IMG_5509.jpg

The Baby Belle Pimentos I call them are simply awesome. Huge producers of large, crispy, sweet and slightly hot pods. Once boiled down, these make an incredible sauce... but they are just as good chopped up for salsa or as a snack straight off the plant.

The Bishops too are coming in by the truck load. Big pods this season... all these plants were overwintered. For 5 months these plants did not get a drop of water (we get no rains at all for 5 months in the year). And subjected to frost... but come spring they bounced back. And boy did they ever!

IMG_5520.jpg

There's four bamboo poles holding up this plant and its pulling the poles over. The sheer weight of all those pods is insane.

Thick with pods.

IMG_5521.jpg

There is a lot of damage from birds and monkeys I think. They will nibble on the pods. Holes in the pods leads to rotting and rotting leads to...

IMG_5523.jpg

Enter the African Fruit Beetle... he loves rotting fruit. Lays his larvae in the fruit. Loads of these guys around at the moment.

Oddly enough I cam to the same conclusion last year... but letting the plants fall over and lie on the ground as they do is actually better. Yes the pods get muddy - but - the monkeys and insects oddly enough don't attack the pods on the ground or underneath all the plants leaves. Also the monkeys don't go for the pods that are buried under the plant. And - oddly enough, the pods seem to change colour in the darkest areas of the plant... I would say probably even more so than the pods that are exposed to the sun... So I really think next year I will leave the plants un-staked. Negative of this is, the walkways get blocked and one can't get access so easily... but I will cross that problem when I get to it - next season!

This plant has struggled with the rain. Its a type of Thai hybrid... but all the pods have burst open due to all the rain. Quite firm pods... so I am a little surprised these have burst open...

IMG_5522.jpg

The Cherry Bombs are enjoying the cooler wet weather. Lots of pods changing colour. I know lots of chilliheads don't appreciate these in the garden, but I actually think they are great little peppers. On the negative, they are slow and small producers... but for what it is worth, I think they are really sweet and tasty - even if though are not that hot. About the same heat as a Serrano I would say. They will all go into the sauce... together with them super sweet Ecuadorian Sweets. Who needs sugar when you have these sweet peppers?

IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5458.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5463.jpg

Jawala's are producing a plenty pods

IMG_5466.jpg

Boriya Mirch has been a long time in the running... but looks like its coming along now. Big plants with loads of cherry like pods. These are apparently also called Rattle Snake chillies because kids play with the dried pods and the seeds rattle inside. Or so I have been told...

IMG_5526.jpg

IMG_5527.jpg

Looks like your Cherry Bombs have bacterial leaf spot, Lourens :( Sorry to hear about all the problems you've been having this season, I know how frustrating this can be! Wish you nothing but luck beating this nasty rain and pests  :cheers:

Now this is an enigma... was labelled Tabasco, but is not a Tabasco. Sparse plant... not very leafy. Stalks have a purple blackish tinge. Juvenile pods are lime/dark green in colour. Uneven bullet shaped pods that are firm. Change to blackish before going red. Ripe red pods are firm....

IMG_5524.jpg

IMG_5525.jpg

meatfreak said:
Looks like your Cherry Bombs have bacterial leaf spot, Lourens :( Sorry to hear about all the problems you've been having this season, I know how frustrating this can be! Wish you nothing but luck beating this nasty rain and pests  :cheers:
Thank you Stefan! Ja is throwing the gardeners dictionary of pests and infestations at me for sure. I don't even see these things any more and have all put given up fretting about all these nasties. I am just letting nature take it's course and if I have a few chillies at the end of the day - I will be full of gratitude and smiles lol

Alcohol always helps soothe the aches and pains :)
And then there is the things that bring big smiles... love these guys...

IMG_5508.jpg

Here's a close up of that mystery chilli above... its pod shape is like an Aji Lemon...

IMG_5507.jpg

Flower of the mystery chilli.... and some more close ups

IMG_5506.jpg

Before going red...

IMG_5504.jpg

Loads of Tabascos on the go

IMG_5500.jpg

IMG_5501.jpg

IMG_5497.jpg

IMG_5498.jpg

Gee Lourens, sorry to hear that you've had so many water-related problems this year...  it sounds like you had a "Biblical" season like StefanW had last year. It's good that you have such diversity in your garden, so if some things don't have a good harvest, others will do better.

The pod shapes on the mystery chile look kinda like Baccatums, but the flowers say Annuum... what do they taste like?

Cheers!

stickman said:
Gee Lourens, sorry to hear that you've had so many water-related problems this year...  it sounds like you had a "Biblical" season like StefanW had last year. It's good that you have such diversity in your garden, so if some things don't have a good harvest, others will do better.

The pod shapes on the mystery chile look kinda like Baccatums, but the flowers say Annuum... what do they taste like?

Cheers!
Hi Rick, Also a bit confused here. Could not quite figure out that one! I will do a taste test for sure... very keen to see what they taste like.

Here's another mystery for you...

IMG_5495.jpg

IMG_5496.jpg

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG_5494.jpg

Them Morango's I got from Greg look interestingly peculiar... they are getting those stretch marks you find on Jalapeños... I thought they were supposed to change red... but it looks like are staying this colour.

IMG_5373.jpg

Zimbabwean Birdseye's. Larger pods than the SA PeriPeri I grew last year... Interested to see if the flavour is the same...

IMG_5387.jpg

I am not sure if the locusts are not the culprits behind the mysterious nibbling of chillies...

IMG_5385.jpg

The Indian Naga Morich has small little Naga pods. Unmistakeably Naga flavour... heat is right up there... small low lying plant - really great little producer.

IMG_5380.jpg

The european Naga Morich is still producing loads. Pods are smaller and it has produced loads of pods already... definitely one of the better producers... very consistent!

IMG_5381.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

Very beautiful! And those zimbabwe peri's look great! :)
I'm very excited about the mozambique periperi's you gave me,they have pods
but they still gave to change colour..how long do they take?

chilli whisperer said:
Very beautiful! And those zimbabwe peri's look great! :)
I'm very excited about the mozambique periperi's you gave me,they have pods
but they still gave to change colour..how long do they take?
PeriPeri can take quite some time to change colour.... a good 120 days from planting for sure... but once they do the plants do just get bigger and the pods more... ;)
Bali Long is coming along nicely... never tried this one before... quite excited to try it...

IMG_5396.jpg

IMG_5397.jpg

I think the longest has to be these Jamaican Golds... it's like they made it this far and now are just stuck...

IMG_5398.jpg

IMG_5399.jpg

Nagalahs are producing a constant stream of nice looking pods...

IMG_5405.jpg

Ramon's white Bhuts ahve recovered from the aphid plight and are actually looking quite good. The Fruit and Flower fert I laid down two weeks ago has kicked in nicely... loads of flowers and pods emerging everywhere...

IMG_5406.jpg

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5408.jpg

Close up of the Zim PeriPeri

IMG_5410.jpg

I was holding off picking the Hungarian Hot Wax... do these go red? Not sure... I picked them - I hope their flavour has developed... picken them when off white/pale yellow and they did not impress me at all....

IMG_5411.jpg

Aji Lemons also seem to take forever to change colour...

IMG_5413.jpg

Puta Parios are doing very well... these little guys are really tasty and as the name suggests pretty damn hot...

IMG_5415.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

Signs of wet dank conditions all over the place...

IMG_5418.jpg

TS Yellow FG

IMG_5417.jpg

MoA Scotch Bonnet... really struggling with these conditions... but there is a slight chance... may have to finish this one in th egreen house when things cool off more..

IMG_5419.jpg

TS Long Tails going for it now... also got nailed by aphids... but looks like they have recovered nicely...

IMG_5420.jpg

Lots of White Jellybean Habas on the go... pretty and unusual... but the flavour left me wondering why I had built up such great expectations to grow these lol

IMG_5423.jpg

Ignite has loads more pods this season than last season... but still the smallest plant in the line-up

IMG_5428.jpg

I think this plant is a hybrid between the Ignite and a Cabe Merah...

IMG_5429.jpg

GA Growhead said:
The hotwaxes do turn red. Mostly sold here in that stage. Ripe red is better.
Glad to see some doing well, coping with the extremes!
Thanks GA, I had to pick them... so far sweet peppers just get eaten before I get a chance to pick them myself... I will leave them a few days to change still - thanks!

Sorry to read about your woes this season.

Too much rain has not been a problem here, not in over 20 years. I do remember one May it poured so hard as we were coming home I couldn't see the road, lucky for me I was on my road, and used the barb wire fences to creep along, our garden is on a slope, and the erosion cut a gulley big enough to lose a coffin in.

Good luck for the remainder of the season!

Devv said:
Sorry to read about your woes this season.

Too much rain has not been a problem here, not in over 20 years. I do remember one May it poured so hard as we were coming home I couldn't see the road, lucky for me I was on my road, and used the barb wire fences to creep along, our garden is on a slope, and the erosion cut a gulley big enough to lose a coffin in.

Good luck for the remainder of the season!
Hi Scott - thank you my friend! That was an awesome pic with the Reapers... what a haul!

Looks like Charles' Choco Bhut X Douglahs are getting some colour...

IMG_5473.jpg

IMG_5472.jpg

IMG_5474.jpg

I thought the Wild Tepin would have enjoyed the wet weather... but its leaves are looking yellow ish and sparse... no signs of flowers or pods yet!

IMG_5475.jpg

The Brainstrain is a good consistent producer this year... very hot pods this season on the Brainstrains.

IMG_5476.jpg

IMG_5477.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

Yellow Bhut "c" with colour...

IMG_5481.jpg

The Cumari do Para looks like it is tiny, but busy trying to make flowers and pods lol

IMG_5491.jpg

Nagabon is coming along great guns...

IMG_5485.jpg

Some more of those Yellow Bhut

IMG_5482.jpg

Jawalas...

IMG_5469.jpg

Naga Kings on th ego

IMG_5468.jpg

Malaguetta's... loads coming up

IMG_5454.jpg
i

That mystery pepper was given a taste test. Still don't know what it is, but the tatse test revealed that it is a sweet pepper. No heat here. Not a great taster... but what an amazing shape!

IMG_5449.jpg

Unfortunately this one got nibbled...

IMG_5447.jpg

Alma Paprika, trying to leave them as long as possible without getting eaten...

IMG_5441.jpg

7 Pot Yellows...

IMG_5392.jpg

PeriPeri said:
....And then there is the things that bring big smiles... love these guys...

IMG_5508.jpg

That's a freakin' beautiful pepper! Joe's Long?

Last year was wet here and  I  had a few peppers split -tomatoes were a almost a total loss.

Bishop's cap, Alma Paprika, and Tobasco are just too slow to ripen for me. I may try them with an earlier start someday.
Hope the MoA make it for you. Those and the JA Habs are  going to be my workhorse peppers this year.

Hang in there. 200 liters is still a lot of sauce!

I like the Naga Kings & Choco Bhut x Douglahs best... the Yellow Bhuts don't look that bad, even if they are a little small...

JJJessee said:
That's a freakin' beautiful pepper! Joe's Long?

Last year was wet here and  I  had a few peppers split -tomatoes were a almost a total loss.

Bishop's cap, Alma Paprika, and Tobasco are just too slow to ripen for me. I may try them with an earlier start someday.
Hope the MoA make it for you. Those and the JA Habs are  going to be my workhorse peppers this year.

Hang in there. 200 liters is still a lot of sauce!
Hi JJJessee, thanks for your feedback! Yea, those are Joe's Long for sure. Haven't tried them yet... but I hope they taste as good as Cayennes should!

Them peppers do take long to ripen. The Alma Paprika have not been great producers for me this year and while I have not tried them red yet... they do taste very bland in their yellow state. But I will keep my opinions open until I get to try a red one.

Next year I will not be doing the variation I have these last two seasons. Next year I will make a short list of my top producers and will go big on those.

I am hoping that the MoaA will come in... it has really struggled with every adversary that has been thrown at it this season. Many of the p[lants have not seen their potential. As we speak, it is raining... it is cold and overcast. In three weeks it has not stopped raining. The sun we have seen on maybe three occasions!

200 litres of something this year. It may only be Bishops and Baby Belles at this stage... but it has to be 200 litres lol
Spicegeist said:
I like the Naga Kings & Choco Bhut x Douglahs best... the Yellow Bhuts don't look that bad, even if they are a little small...
I am letting the pods from the Yellow ripen a bit ore off the plant. I am looking forward to trying them... although I am so low on Fatalii's this year, I could do with sticking them into the sauce lol No where can I find Fatalii's this year... I think I am not the only one locally that has struggled with growing chillies.

The Naga Kings are just super tasty. Loads of flavour in them. I can't wait to try the Coco Bhut x Douglah (which could also be a Coco Nagalah or Bhutlah I suppose)... nice!
Has anyone got an ID on them mystery chillies I posted?

IMG_5495.jpg

IMG_5496.jpg

Back