• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow Log 2012: South Africa

Hi All,

So I'll give it another try this year. God knows I love chillies and I would love nothing more than to have a bumper harvest... but I suspect the truth of the matter is I do not have green fingers. In fact, give me a chilli and I will be pretty guaranteed to kill it lol That's not negativity talking, that's reality based on last years experiences lol

Last year it was pots. This year its a farm east of Pretoria, here in South Africa. My reasoning for this madness is pretty much like a hunter hunting with a machine gun... out of the thousand seedlings I plant... I must walk away with something lol (I hope).

So I have a pice of land. Good soil down by a river in the african sun.

The planting area has been divided into two sections. An enclosed area (±40mx40m) with shade netting and an open area (±40mx40m). Water is limited, but there is borehole water.

Outside Area:
outside.jpg

Inside Area:
inside.jpg

Temps this time of the year are in the mid to high 30ºC. It's the rainy season, so there is rain and it comes in buckets and hail-stones!

So here are the pics I took of the inside and outside areas Saturday 6/10/2012. It was 37ºC that day. I have a video as well which I took last Sunday when I started the planting (to come). Luckily we have a cold front at the moment, so since monday it has been overcast, cool and we have rain (magic). I think its about 23/25ºC at the moment. I planted on Sunday (36ºC) early morning (24/25ºC) and late afternoon and pretty much watered for the rest of the day. Didn't look like rain at all... but it's here and could not have come at a better time really!

As you can see I have laid out the beds in rows. Planting is at 45-60cm intervals. I am doing a little experiment also with double planting and single planting. I suspect the yield will be lower with the bushes that have been double planted... but who knows. A different climate... maybe results will show different.

On the grow list:

Bishops Crown
PeriPeri (naturally)
Hotazel
Hot Pixie
Thaibo
Thai Dragon
Baby Belle
Cal Wonder
Yellow Scorpions
ButchT
Black Pearl
Naga Viper
White Hab
Orange Hab
Brown Hab
Red Hab
Big Jim
Long Thai
Cayenne
Cheyenne
Jalapeno
Carolina Reaper
Serrano
Pasilla Bajio
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia
Naga King
Scotch Bonnet
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Cherry Bomb
Boriya Mirch
Brain Strain
Ring of Fire

Still to come...

Angkor Sunrise
Devils Tongue White
Barrakpore
Douglah
Jonah
JonahxButchT
Primo
Naga Morich
Infinity
Goronong
Devils Tongue Choc
Hab Choc

One or two other... but I can't remember.

First lot I planted on Sunday 7/10/2012.... details will follow...

Over and out for now!

PeriPeri

Stefan :) In my experience there are all those pods that are over lets say 1,3 mil SHU... and those are really really vicious. We are talking burning coals at the back of the throat... really painful! But then there is the ButchT. It is for me the most painful chilli I have ever eaten. It attacked my tongue like there were actually scorpions under and over my tongue that were stinging the tonge constantly (besides the burning coals at the back of the throat) and the pain is so severe... its a pinching, bighting, ulcerated kind of pain... your nerves start twitching in your face... and your earsdrums start vibrating. lol Seariously, be very affraid! I had one straight after a Doughlah and the Doughlah felt like a Habanero in comparison. And straight after the ButchT I had a Moruga lol and I couldn't taste it anymore. Possibly not a plan. This was my back to back taste test I did a while back, but I had to split it over 3 vids :)
Uphoria and ego kick in. Drunk on capsaicin lol But not a thing I will do in a hurry again lol

Time to go to the farm and pick some chillies... yay!

the Ignite has all of four pods I think. It had its first red pod. Almost need a magnifying glass for the seeds from these. The pods are tiny... the flavour is thai chilli like... and given its size, its heat is remarkable.

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

Now that is a small chilli lol

Now the Fish pepper's seem to be throwing a couple of freeky pods lol

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

Condom chillies ripening by the dozen...

IMG_2479.jpg

Yellow Fatalii's ripening fast now...

IMG_2480.jpg

Yee Haw!! That's what I'm talkin' about! Nice haul Lourens :onfire:
Looks awesome, fancy helping me deseed and chop up? lol

Wow, nice harvest Peri! Gonna have to check the vids later.
Sure is... just wish I didn't have to be the one to dem chillies :)

Red Fatalii's getting colour yay...

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

Carolina Reaper 1 looking like its on the brink of chaging colour :)

IMG_2482.jpg

Carolina Reaper 2...

IMG_2537.jpg

Freaky pods nothing... I think it's "glad" to see you... ;)

If travel logistics weren't so daunting I'd be right over! lol!
lol you're right... man that is a freaky pod if I ever saw one. Now that's a tail, never mind the one's engineered on the reapers lol

Talking of which, Carolina Reaper 2 pic was taken after I picked this...

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

Going to do the taste test video on the Reaper tomorrow... I can't wait!

Red Haba's changing colour... nice big pod there :)

IMG_2490.jpg

Lourens,

Great to see your photos!!! Now do all of us in the northern hemisphere who are just starting a favour.... eat the Reaper. On camera. Right now. Then be gracious enough to post it on here... we all want to know how hot it is.... tomorrow is too far away

Ohhh have milk on hand... lots of milk. And perhaps a puke bucket.

Again, great stuff mate!!
Conor

IMG_2558.jpg

Brown Habas...

IMG_2559.jpg

I call these fallas Baby Belle Pimento's... I think locally they are known as Peppadews... crunchy, fruity and packed with a wee bit of zing... love these guys...

IMG_2560.jpg

Lourens,

Great to see your photos!!! Now do all of us in the northern hemisphere who are just starting a favour.... eat the Reaper. On camera. Right now. Then be gracious enough to post it on here... we all want to know how hot it is.... tomorrow is too far away

Ohhh have milk on hand... lots of milk. And perhaps a puke bucket.

Again, great stuff mate!!
Conor
lol I want to sleep tonight... tomorrow looks like a good day to die, but tonight I sleep with my throat and mouth in one piece thanks!

Bishops galore...

IMG_2561.jpg

This is supposed to be a 7 pod... but it looks more like a Moruga to me hmmm...

IMG_2562.jpg

Bhuts...

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

Looks like they are about to change colour

7 pods

IMG_2491.jpg

White Habanero starting to pod...

IMG_2492.jpg

Man Lourens... Those Chocolate Habs and Bishops are huge! The rest are looking very nice as well. Is it a touch of sunscald, or are your Bhuts starting to color up a bit?

Wow, what amazing pictures! I am going to have to take another look later on whent he little one goes to bed and check out the video and make more comments. So many peppers, my head is going to explode!

Man Lourens... Those Chocolate Habs and Bishops are huge! The rest are looking very nice as well. Is it a touch of sunscald, or are your Bhuts starting to color up a bit?
They are quite big hey? Also happy with their size. The Bhuts are changing colour... not sunscald... can't wait for them to ripen. They are very bland looking... had expected them to be more gnarly... maybe I am thinking of the Bhi Jolokias :)

Wow, what amazing pictures! I am going to have to take another look later on whent he little one goes to bed and check out the video and make more comments. So many peppers, my head is going to explode!
Thanks Stefan... I know what that is like! I ahve two of my own... Scarlet did not want to go to sleep tonight lol

I am hoping the White HAbanero here is the Jelly Bean type... I know I have some of the large White Habs floating around too and while they taste great... they have no heat. But these look like the Yucatan Jelly Bean type...

IMG_2520.jpg

Found this Douglah among the Brown Habs... that was a nice surprise :D

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

Another 7 pod...

IMG_2503.jpg

Nagalah. Already had one pod. Did the taste test and thought it was a wee bit on the mild side. Tasted just like a Naga really... but maybe they will get hotter with time :)

IMG_2506.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

Red Savina... never was much of a looker... but who knows... looks just like an Antilaise or Carribean Red or Red Habanero... actually they all look the same to me :)

IMG_2512.jpg

Brainstrain...

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

A Bump please someone :)

Thank you Henning!

Naga Viper... changing colour now...

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

Naga Kings still looking very pale green and ghost pepper like...

IMG_2538.jpg

More 7 Pods... (just in case)

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

Purple Tigers...

IMG_2494.jpg

Amazing colours there

ButchT X Jonah flowering up. Looks like there might be pods before winter hits...

IMG_2498.jpg

These three plants got in a bit of a muddle... but looking at the one before and the options, these are ButchT X Moruga....

IMG_2499.jpg

ButchT...

IMG_2500.jpg

and oh hell I don't know... I guess when I see the pods I will know lol

IMG_2501.jpg

Now the biggest problem I had this week, besides trying to get all the ripe pods picked... was no watering. I arrived to find my plants parched! Had not been watered for days... and it has been hot and very dry the last week or so. I found out that the staff were on fence watch.... unfortunately the farm fencing is being stolen all the time. Hundreds of metres at a time. Encroaching informal settlements and the lucrative trade in scrap metals, make farm fencing, wire and poles very popular. So the guys have been busy patrolling the farm and not watering the plants. Needs must, unfortunately did not do my plants much good. So we spent quite a bit of time watering... some of the smaller plants look toasted... but they sprung right back to life after watering...

I enjoyed the videos; you’re a little braver than me, hehe. Your assistants were great on the first one, making faces behind you made me laugh and abandoned you by the second one. Maybe a little mild chili they could try might help keep them helping ;)

Great harvest, boy I bet you were up late washing and chopping, another good job to delegate ~_^ Man that fish peppers seems to have put out a fishing rod of it’s own, Fatalii's lookin good and especially like the Rasta colors on that Red Fatalii! Looking forward to seeing the video on the Reaper, should be great based on all the one’s I’ve seen so far. Love the green look on the King Nagas, dem brown Habs look very big, nice size to them. Everything else looks great, too much to comment on everything but love it all, keep up dat great grow, fantastic update ^_^

Beautiful pods and plants. I love looking at all those gorgeous pods. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Pia, you are welcome!

I enjoyed the videos; you’re a little braver than me, hehe. Your assistants were great on the first one, making faces behind you made me laugh and abandoned you by the second one. Maybe a little mild chili they could try might help keep them helping ;)

Great harvest, boy I bet you were up late washing and chopping, another good job to delegate ~_^ Man that fish peppers seems to have put out a fishing rod of it’s own, Fatalii's lookin good and especially like the Rasta colors on that Red Fatalii! Looking forward to seeing the video on the Reaper, should be great based on all the one’s I’ve seen so far. Love the green look on the King Nagas, dem brown Habs look very big, nice size to them. Everything else looks great, too much to comment on everything but love it all, keep up dat great grow, fantastic update ^_^
Thank you Ramon. Always appreciate your feedback. Thank you! And... man I am not looking forward to trying that Reaper! But it has to be done right? lol

Ok... I just did the taste test of the Carolina Reaper :onfire: Now THAT is a chilli that will put hair on your chest...

and the soles of you feet, palms of your hands and other unreachable places lol

MAN it feels good to be Alive!

Love the look of the Purple Tiger, great harvest and the plant and pod shots will come in handy for folks to research upon.
Thanks for the warning on the Reapers...the dosage I'll try will be a sample size portion.........ha

Back