• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow Log 2012: South Africa

Hi All,

So I'll give it another try this year. God knows I love chillies and I would love nothing more than to have a bumper harvest... but I suspect the truth of the matter is I do not have green fingers. In fact, give me a chilli and I will be pretty guaranteed to kill it lol That's not negativity talking, that's reality based on last years experiences lol

Last year it was pots. This year its a farm east of Pretoria, here in South Africa. My reasoning for this madness is pretty much like a hunter hunting with a machine gun... out of the thousand seedlings I plant... I must walk away with something lol (I hope).

So I have a pice of land. Good soil down by a river in the african sun.

The planting area has been divided into two sections. An enclosed area (±40mx40m) with shade netting and an open area (±40mx40m). Water is limited, but there is borehole water.

Outside Area:
outside.jpg

Inside Area:
inside.jpg

Temps this time of the year are in the mid to high 30ºC. It's the rainy season, so there is rain and it comes in buckets and hail-stones!

So here are the pics I took of the inside and outside areas Saturday 6/10/2012. It was 37ºC that day. I have a video as well which I took last Sunday when I started the planting (to come). Luckily we have a cold front at the moment, so since monday it has been overcast, cool and we have rain (magic). I think its about 23/25ºC at the moment. I planted on Sunday (36ºC) early morning (24/25ºC) and late afternoon and pretty much watered for the rest of the day. Didn't look like rain at all... but it's here and could not have come at a better time really!

As you can see I have laid out the beds in rows. Planting is at 45-60cm intervals. I am doing a little experiment also with double planting and single planting. I suspect the yield will be lower with the bushes that have been double planted... but who knows. A different climate... maybe results will show different.

On the grow list:

Bishops Crown
PeriPeri (naturally)
Hotazel
Hot Pixie
Thaibo
Thai Dragon
Baby Belle
Cal Wonder
Yellow Scorpions
ButchT
Black Pearl
Naga Viper
White Hab
Orange Hab
Brown Hab
Red Hab
Big Jim
Long Thai
Cayenne
Cheyenne
Jalapeno
Carolina Reaper
Serrano
Pasilla Bajio
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia
Naga King
Scotch Bonnet
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Cherry Bomb
Boriya Mirch
Brain Strain
Ring of Fire

Still to come...

Angkor Sunrise
Devils Tongue White
Barrakpore
Douglah
Jonah
JonahxButchT
Primo
Naga Morich
Infinity
Goronong
Devils Tongue Choc
Hab Choc

One or two other... but I can't remember.

First lot I planted on Sunday 7/10/2012.... details will follow...

Over and out for now!

PeriPeri

Well Pia is my first name. Sanarda is my middle or (second) name. And Counts is my last (or birth right) name. Hope that clears it up.

outside1.jpg

outside2.jpg

It's been very hot and very dry... I take my hat off to the chillies outside, they have had to rough it... but as they say - what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger :) This has certainly been the case for these guys...

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

I tried one of these Tabasco pods and they were scorchingly hot... I imagine they will get hotter when they turn red! Got quite a few Tabasco bushes inside and outside. I do get the feeling that there are more pods on the inside plants though. Not sure what this means?

Pasilla Bajio courtesy of Pepper Joe. Don't know these at all... any one have any info? Do these go red? What size... at what stage are these mature?
IMG_1550.jpg

Busy little producer that Naga Morich. Its a small plant, but already throwing pods... can't wait to munch on these babies :onfire:
IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

These Cherry Bombs are way bigger than I imagined... I jst can't wait to try these. I have imagined these will taste a bit like the Bishops... similar heat...
IMG_1592.jpg

Plenty more pics from yesterday... but I think the glog limits me to 10... so I will post more later :)

Well Pia is my first name. Sanarda is my middle or (second) name. And Counts is my last (or birth right) name. Hope that clears it up.
Yea... didn't want to reveal your name :) Yes, my sister's name is Pia too. Unusual name... it comes from India I believe?

ok you can post more now
Thanks! That is a huge help :)

Habaneros turning out to be prolific podders...
IMG_1598.jpg

Love those Black Pearls...
IMG_1528.jpg

Fatalii Red, small but flowering already...

IMG_1532.jpg

Red Habanero's taking flight... pod on this one. Love the gentler heat and awesome fruitiness of these. Don't see them much locally... and in my humble opinion a much tastier pod to the Orange and Brown Habs...

IMG_1537.jpg

Talking of which... Brown Habs also going strong....
IMG_1541.jpg

For some reason my iPhone struggled with the smaller plants. I planted a whole load of seedlings from the nursery to the Inside area:

Bhut Jolokia
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Naga Morich
Naga Viper
Jonah
Primo
ButchT
Moruga
ButchTxMoruga
ButchTxJonah
Purple Tiger
Cabe Marah
Yellow ScorpxBhut

But yea... they are all about the size of the Primo below... but as I said pics are blurry...

IMG_1552.jpg

The Carolina Reaper... coming on nicely... I hear there is some rumblings about the pods not looking as gnarly as advertised... all good in my book - lets hope it tastes good :)

IMG_1545.jpg

Apologies for the poor image... but yea... coming on nicely I think...

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

Hi Lourens
The Pasilla chiles will turn a chocolate brown when ripe. They're fairly mild as chiles go, but have a great flavor. They're especially useful dried and ground in a chili powder blend. I make my blend of Ancho, Pasilla, Anaheim and Chimayo chiles, garlic powder and ground toasted cumin seeds. If you want, you can also add ground cocoa nibs.

Your chiles are definitely going ape! Keep up the good work and stream of pics!

I still have wild dreams about this baby... man these pods are delicious!

IMG_1556.jpg

Hi Lourens
The Pasilla chiles will turn a chocolate brown when ripe. They're fairly mild as chiles go, but have a great flavor. They're especially useful dried and ground in a chili powder blend. I make my blend of Ancho, Pasilla, Anaheim and Chimayo chiles, garlic powder and ground toasted cumin seeds. If you want, you can also add ground cocoa nibs.

Your chiles are definitely going ape! Keep up the good work and stream of pics!
Thanks Stickman... I have started putting sticks next to all the new seedlings I am transplanting from the nursery... no more insectacides!

I still love the original 7 pod... it packs a punch and makes and amazing salsa/sauce... great on pasta and pizzas :)

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

When it comes to harvesting... these bushes are covered in pods - probably going to be the most time consuming! I am an absolute noob when it comes to picking chillies on this scale... Anyone with info please advise :) I imagine scissors and cut the stalks?

IMG_1560.jpg

The Thaidragon's also producing a fair few pods per bush. I tries the Thaibo, PeriPeri and Thaidragon pods... they are still green... but the PeriPeri floored me lol Didn't see that one coming :) I ate it on an empty stomach - 101 chilliehead mistake... never eat chilli on an empty stomach & mistake no2... respect all hot chillies lol

Not too sure about this Hong Kong - got it from a friend who bought the seeds in India... We will see...

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

This Musk Melon is also from India... my mate with the Indian connection. Know very little about this one. Fruit looks tiny... Anyone with info... I would appreciate it :)

IMG_1567.jpg

Talking of tiny... this is the smallest chilli bush in my collection. It is called Ignite... and I think it also comes from India... anyone with Info?? It keeps flowering, but not seeing any pods yet... can't imagine the pods will be big lol The plant is probably only about 4x4x4cm

IMG_1594.jpg

Got to do the school dash quick... will post more pics shortly :)

These babies burned me bad lol... I really regretted eating one of these on an empty stomach...

IMG_1568.jpg

The Scotch Bonnets keep growing but not many flowers yet... come on team Scotch Bonnet!

IMG_1574.jpg

The peppers are sure responding to the heat. It seems like yesterday when they were only a few fingers high...

Hey PIC1, oh man... loads of watering in those days! But looking back, it has been a prosperous adventure so far!

A good friend of mine who visits the US frequently, gave me these Fish Pepper seeds. Certainly pretty... I love chillies like these that have various colour changes.

IMG_1575.jpg

The inside area is covered with cob webs in the mornings. The Golden Orb spider. Look quite intimidating. They grow to about the size of the palm of your hand. Occasionally I get wrapped up in their web lol Nothing much phases me, and even though they are harmless... these do give me the shivers lol Good for those nasty bugs though. I saw a locust trapped in their web the other day... so they must be good :)

IMG_1579.jpg

Thaibo changing colour :)

IMG_1581.jpg

Brainstrain going well. These are slow growers... probably the slowest of them all to date.... still got some way to go, but I think growth will be quick from here on...

IMG_1589.jpg

Phuli Jyoti, another plant from my India connection. Pods are coming on, looks like thin long thai like chillies. We will see...

IMG_1590.jpg

Turn red already damnit!

IMG_1591.jpg

The Moruga... just transplanted a few of these to the Inside area. It was very hot... I hope they will survive :)

IMG_1596.jpg

Not much height gain on the White Haba, but its branching out... also a slow grower in my books.

IMG_1599.jpg

Apologies for the bad pic... I think I may have rushed these pics... had to get home in time for my kids.

But it still shows where we are at with this...

The Nagalah... I also have a few Douglah's growing ofcourse :)

IMG_1600.jpg

The Red Savina has been slow to grow for me too. Could possibly be the soil in this part of the garden?

IMG_1601.jpg

You have some good growth going there and some new and varied varieties (for me anyway). Keep on growing bro!!

You have some good growth going there and some new and varied varieties (for me anyway). Keep on growing bro!!
Thanks Trippa! It's the first time in the soil for me. I will see what grows well etc for next year. Still loads coming through the ranks lol

Oh I forgot, I planted out the Chocolate and White Devil Tongues as well... really keen to try them Devil's. Going to invest in some serious antacid when harvesting time comes along lol

I grow the Fish peppers also, my sister uses the chilis while green while I let them turn red and sun dry on the plant. Strong long durations of light will bring out the white varigation in the leaves.

I have to start my seedlings indoors because of the cold off season climate where I live. The 7200k metal halide lights that I use will turn the leaves mostly white colored with very little green...very ornamental !

When I read up about the Fish Peppers, I read it is used for a specialized white fish sauce... Will need to scour for a recipe... Want to see what all the hype is about

Wow PeriPeri, it's really going off! I swear it must take a month or more for a full-sized green pod to ripen. I know I keep looking at them everyday, then one day there is this little splotch of color. Hat's off to you, my friend, that is one huge grow. And everything looks so healthy. Love the shot of the Golden Orb. With sentries like that around, hard to imagine any pests have a chance.

Loads of Golden Orbs on the corners of the shade netting and load of Lady Bugs... those little fellas are simply incredible.

Going to set up my laptop in the garden to take videos of the taste tests in stitue when the time comes lol yum yum

Wow PeriPeri, it's really going off! I swear it must take a month or more for a full-sized green pod to ripen. I know I keep looking at them everyday, then one day there is this little splotch of color. Hat's off to you, my friend, that is one huge grow. And everything looks so healthy. Love the shot of the Golden Orb. With sentries like that around, hard to imagine any pests have a chance.
Hey Doc, I have a little time left. Winter starts first week of May. Day time temps are 24/25ºc but night time temps go below freezing. Night time temps fall below 14ºc around middle April... two and a bit months for all to be done and dusted :) Hope that will be enough...

Thanks man, every body part for sure. Feet is not far off. Damn dirt is so claggy, always take my shoes off... better doing the gardening barefoot lol

Your grow has really shaped up. Peri.
You will be busy harvesting before your winter starts, but
two-and-a-half months should be sufficient for them to really
ripen up for harvest.

Nice work, Luorens.

When I read up about the Fish Peppers, I read it is used for a specialized white fish sauce... Will need to scour for a recipe... Want to see what all the hype is about

Wow what a great grow you have!!! I liked to eat the Fish Peppers like Jalapenos and Serranos. I haven't dried them or anything, just ate them fresh. I though they had a great taste and packed quite a punch. Do try them fresh right off the plant once you get a few red ones! :dance:

Your grow has really shaped up. Peri.
You will be busy harvesting before your winter starts, but
two-and-a-half months should be sufficient for them to really
ripen up for harvest.

Nice work, Luorens.
Thanks PaulG. Again, hats off to you... I have absolutely no idea how you guys work with so little time. Here I am looking at the calendar and I have summer weather for 6 months and then some lol Chilliheads in the north have this grow thing down to a fine art!

Wow what a great grow you have!!! I liked to eat the Fish Peppers like Jalapenos and Serranos. I haven't dried them or anything, just ate them fresh. I though they had a great taste and packed quite a punch. Do try them fresh right off the plant once you get a few red ones! :dance:
Certainly will do, I do like the red ones... they still have faint stripes in them. Ate one last season and you are right... same category as the Serrano/Jalapeno. Not too sure about them when they are still green striped. Not very hot, tasted a little herby to me. I know I want to do a taste test video of every chilli. Ambitious, but I want to do this for my website if an when it goes live. All good fun!

Back