• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow Log 2012: South Africa

Hi All,

So I'll give it another try this year. God knows I love chillies and I would love nothing more than to have a bumper harvest... but I suspect the truth of the matter is I do not have green fingers. In fact, give me a chilli and I will be pretty guaranteed to kill it lol That's not negativity talking, that's reality based on last years experiences lol

Last year it was pots. This year its a farm east of Pretoria, here in South Africa. My reasoning for this madness is pretty much like a hunter hunting with a machine gun... out of the thousand seedlings I plant... I must walk away with something lol (I hope).

So I have a pice of land. Good soil down by a river in the african sun.

The planting area has been divided into two sections. An enclosed area (±40mx40m) with shade netting and an open area (±40mx40m). Water is limited, but there is borehole water.

Outside Area:
outside.jpg

Inside Area:
inside.jpg

Temps this time of the year are in the mid to high 30ºC. It's the rainy season, so there is rain and it comes in buckets and hail-stones!

So here are the pics I took of the inside and outside areas Saturday 6/10/2012. It was 37ºC that day. I have a video as well which I took last Sunday when I started the planting (to come). Luckily we have a cold front at the moment, so since monday it has been overcast, cool and we have rain (magic). I think its about 23/25ºC at the moment. I planted on Sunday (36ºC) early morning (24/25ºC) and late afternoon and pretty much watered for the rest of the day. Didn't look like rain at all... but it's here and could not have come at a better time really!

As you can see I have laid out the beds in rows. Planting is at 45-60cm intervals. I am doing a little experiment also with double planting and single planting. I suspect the yield will be lower with the bushes that have been double planted... but who knows. A different climate... maybe results will show different.

On the grow list:

Bishops Crown
PeriPeri (naturally)
Hotazel
Hot Pixie
Thaibo
Thai Dragon
Baby Belle
Cal Wonder
Yellow Scorpions
ButchT
Black Pearl
Naga Viper
White Hab
Orange Hab
Brown Hab
Red Hab
Big Jim
Long Thai
Cayenne
Cheyenne
Jalapeno
Carolina Reaper
Serrano
Pasilla Bajio
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia
Naga King
Scotch Bonnet
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Cherry Bomb
Boriya Mirch
Brain Strain
Ring of Fire

Still to come...

Angkor Sunrise
Devils Tongue White
Barrakpore
Douglah
Jonah
JonahxButchT
Primo
Naga Morich
Infinity
Goronong
Devils Tongue Choc
Hab Choc

One or two other... but I can't remember.

First lot I planted on Sunday 7/10/2012.... details will follow...

Over and out for now!

PeriPeri

Man, things are going off on farm PeriPeri! Too many varieties to comment individually, but most everything looks awesome. That Ignite is funny in an awesome way. Sorry to see the carnage on the Big Jims. Those snails are massive!
Them snails will taste awesome with abbit of garlic... but now where will I find garlic that biiiig lol....

These are the Vervet Monkeys that often hang around. This one had made it into the Goose enclosure next to the indoor garden... feeding on scraps meant for the birds lol

DSC_1144.jpg

This is our resident "Po"... best alarm system in the country!

DSC_1146.jpg

Now this were the pods on my one Scotch Bonnet... doesn't quite look right to me... could this be a Scotch Bonnet guys?

DSC_1153.jpg

The Fish Peppers...

DSC_1154.jpg

I found these in amongst the plants in the outside area... I have no idea what these are... not Big Jims... Fatalii? Look odd...

DSC_1190.jpg

A better pic of the Golden Orb spiders hanging from the netting...

DSC_1173.jpg

Close up of the Big Jim...

DSC_1192.jpg

DSC_1180.jpg

DSC_1177.jpg

That's me over and out!

Love the monkey shot. It may be a pest, but it's a cool looking pest. Po is cool, too. Big Jim pod is huge! Golden Orb looks like it belongs on the cover of a Heavy Metal album!

PeriPeri stop using the Caroline the Reaper account to bump your topics. Shell accounts are not allowed.

Them snails will taste awesome with abbit of garlic... but now where will I find garlic that biiiig lol....
Pass, there’s no land sail that I could eat, sea snails are a different story, for example I love conch.

These are the Vervet Monkeys that often hang around. This one had made it into the Goose enclosure next to the indoor garden... feeding on scraps meant for the birds lol
Cool ape but I wouldn’t feed the birds too much, they might just decide to eat some of the chilies one day and they can take the heat.

This is our resident "Po"... best alarm system in the country!
We have them here and I agree, great alarms :)

Now this were the pods on my one Scotch Bonnet... doesn't quite look right to me... could this be a Scotch Bonnet guys?
I’ve never seen any Scotch Bonnets that grow upwards, AFAIK it’s not a Scotch Bonnet, where did you get the seeds from? And have you asked for a refund or free seeds?

A better pic of the Golden Orb spiders hanging from the netting...
Your picture this time is better than the one I commented on the other day, while not the same they are very similar to our banana spider like this one in my backyard below, I leave them be as they kill all kinds of bad bugs.
2wncmye.jpg

Close up of the Big Jim...
Looks big enough for that huge land snail to eat ;)

PeriPeri stop using the Caroline the Reaper account to bump your topics. Shell accounts are not allowed.
Busted & pwnd :/

Hi The Hot Pepper, apologies. Caroline the Reaper is my girlfriend who has joined the forum, not me. Please check the email account and you will see it is someone different.

Yes okay but you guys were talking as if you didn't know each other in this topic. Same IP, and acting like you don't know the person. Looked like shell account. She should post as herself and not a newb liking your peppers. Thank you.

:welcome: Caroline.

Apologies, this is true. Noted, will not happen again. She will introduce herself in the forum as well.

Pass, there’s no land sail that I could eat, sea snails are a different story, for example I love conch.

WalkGood, sounds very rude - but if you say so I am sure it's ok :)

Cool ape but I wouldn’t feed the birds too much, they might just decide to eat some of the chilies one day and they can take the heat.

The problem is, where there is one there is more - like 20 or so... imagine what that will do to a field of chillies. Hopefully my rubber snakes in the fields will suffice.

We have them here and I agree, great alarms :)

Dang, there goes my great idea. I had the packaging and everything sorted: "Peacock 2000, the burglar proof alarm. *corn and water not included"

I’ve never seen any Scotch Bonnets that grow upwards, AFAIK it’s not a Scotch Bonnet, where did you get the seeds from? And have you asked for a refund or free seeds?

:( Man, that sucks. A good chillihead would have written down the supplier. I guess. Luckily I have more bonnets growing from Grant... those are sure to be Scotch Bonnets!

Your picture this time is better than the one I commented on the other day, while not the same they are very similar to our banana spider like this one in my backyard below, I leave them be as they kill all kinds of bad bugs.

Great picture. Why is it not eating a Banana?

Looks big enough for that huge land snail to eat ;)

lol this is true - a starter.

Busted & pwnd :/

:oops:

Thanks for the welcome,
Am a bit of a newbie, so just sticking round the site I know for now, but'll spread my wings as I get familiar with the territory. :oops:
Don't be mad with my Chillihead, he loves you guys!
PS love the chilli emoticons :onfire:

Yes okay but you guys were talking as if you didn't know each other in this topic. Same IP, and acting like you don't know the person. Looked like shell account. She should post as herself and not a newb liking your peppers. Thank you.

:welcome: Caroline.

Now worries! Thanks for joining. Enjoy.

Definately a time for a wee celebration... with my trusted friend Windhoek Lager, which is our locally brewed Namibian beer. Not a lot of people know this, but South African Breweries is the second largest brewery in the world - we like our beer on a hot day :) Not half bad for a small country such as ours.

IMG_1641.jpg

Ah yes, BEER!!! Right on man. Things look great down there. Enjoy!

WalkGood, sounds very rude - but if you say so I am sure it's ok :)
Conch from the mollusk family as in conch salad, conch fritters, cracked conch or conch burgers made with Bahamian Goat Peppers FTW :) … yea I like that other stuff too ;)

The problem is, where there is one there is more - like 20 or so... imagine what that will do to a field of chillies. Hopefully my rubber snakes in the fields will suffice.
WalkGood runs and gets shotgun, dam those pesky critters :D

Dang, there goes my great idea. I had the packaging and everything sorted: "Peacock 2000, the burglar proof alarm. *corn and water not included"
lol, that might work ...

Man, that sucks. A good chillihead would have written down the supplier. I guess. Luckily I have more bonnets growing from Grant... those are sure to be Scotch Bonnets!
As long as they’re tasty and you have others, you can’t go wrong :)

Great picture. Why is it not eating a Banana?
Dem eat bugs ... if they touch my banana’s they’re in trouble :D Enjoying the glog, nice job and you my friend will soon have more pods than you’ll know what to do with or you’ll have a very profitable year :)

DSC_1153.jpg

That is some serious wildlife you've got there, incredible!

I like the looks of this pepper, is it from seed you saved yourself? If so, what do you think it crossed with?

Hi Spicegeist, I am pulling a blank here. I have absolutely no idea what it might be - and growing upwards. It could possibly be a red pepper I found at our local supermarket last year that I aptly names the Condom Chilli as all the chillies were condom shaped and had this odd looking resevour/teet at the end.

IMG_0480.jpg

The resemblace is striking! .... I think this could be it. I have no bloody idea how that got in there ?!?

Conch from the mollusk family as in conch salad, conch fritters, cracked conch or conch burgers made with Bahamian Goat Peppers FTW :) … yea I like that other stuff too ;)

Yea, but hopefully without the Bahamian Goat Pepper dressing :onfire:

Dem eat bugs ... if they touch my banana’s they’re in trouble :D Enjoying the glog, nice job and you my friend will soon have more pods than you’ll know what to do with or you’ll have a very profitable year :)

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I am looking at chest freezers at the mo and getting my office prepped for some serious chilli processing lol

Ugh men and their spider pics. Brew looks great and that monkey was adorable.
In no specific order Pia lol. I could show you my Barbie collection but it just would'nt be as interesting lol But I agree with you the Brew is awesome on a hot day and the monkey is pretty adorable. But if he thinks he can come and pick my peppers, I'm gonna bust his balls.... er.... he already has blue balls - ok - I'll kick his ass :D

Ah yes, BEER!!! Right on man. Things look great down there. Enjoy!
Thanks Chewi, it's all that keeps me going. Temps have been 95 - 105 ºF, and humidity is high too... so sucking on an ice cold beer just doesn't get any better!

IHey Sicman, about 45 - 60cm in and between the rows :) Going to stake and tie back the bigger plants like the Bishops as they are spreading out too much what with the pods on them now.

That condom peppers or whatever looks a lot like the aji lemons I grew last year. Upright pods and same shape.

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss305/Droptyne1/343.jpg

Back