• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow Log 2012: South Africa

Hi All,

So I'll give it another try this year. God knows I love chillies and I would love nothing more than to have a bumper harvest... but I suspect the truth of the matter is I do not have green fingers. In fact, give me a chilli and I will be pretty guaranteed to kill it lol That's not negativity talking, that's reality based on last years experiences lol

Last year it was pots. This year its a farm east of Pretoria, here in South Africa. My reasoning for this madness is pretty much like a hunter hunting with a machine gun... out of the thousand seedlings I plant... I must walk away with something lol (I hope).

So I have a pice of land. Good soil down by a river in the african sun.

The planting area has been divided into two sections. An enclosed area (±40mx40m) with shade netting and an open area (±40mx40m). Water is limited, but there is borehole water.

Outside Area:
outside.jpg

Inside Area:
inside.jpg

Temps this time of the year are in the mid to high 30ºC. It's the rainy season, so there is rain and it comes in buckets and hail-stones!

So here are the pics I took of the inside and outside areas Saturday 6/10/2012. It was 37ºC that day. I have a video as well which I took last Sunday when I started the planting (to come). Luckily we have a cold front at the moment, so since monday it has been overcast, cool and we have rain (magic). I think its about 23/25ºC at the moment. I planted on Sunday (36ºC) early morning (24/25ºC) and late afternoon and pretty much watered for the rest of the day. Didn't look like rain at all... but it's here and could not have come at a better time really!

As you can see I have laid out the beds in rows. Planting is at 45-60cm intervals. I am doing a little experiment also with double planting and single planting. I suspect the yield will be lower with the bushes that have been double planted... but who knows. A different climate... maybe results will show different.

On the grow list:

Bishops Crown
PeriPeri (naturally)
Hotazel
Hot Pixie
Thaibo
Thai Dragon
Baby Belle
Cal Wonder
Yellow Scorpions
ButchT
Black Pearl
Naga Viper
White Hab
Orange Hab
Brown Hab
Red Hab
Big Jim
Long Thai
Cayenne
Cheyenne
Jalapeno
Carolina Reaper
Serrano
Pasilla Bajio
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia
Naga King
Scotch Bonnet
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Cherry Bomb
Boriya Mirch
Brain Strain
Ring of Fire

Still to come...

Angkor Sunrise
Devils Tongue White
Barrakpore
Douglah
Jonah
JonahxButchT
Primo
Naga Morich
Infinity
Goronong
Devils Tongue Choc
Hab Choc

One or two other... but I can't remember.

First lot I planted on Sunday 7/10/2012.... details will follow...

Over and out for now!

PeriPeri

Hi Spicegeist, I am pulling a blank here. I have absolutely no idea what it might be - and growing upwards. It could possibly be a red pepper I found at our local supermarket last year that I aptly names the Condom Chilli as all the chillies were condom shaped and had this odd looking resevour/teet at the end.

The resemblace is striking! .... I think this could be it. I have no bloody idea how that got in there ?!?

Hmm, well the proof is in the pudding... I'll be curious to read how it tastes, hope it's a winner...

That condom peppers or whatever looks a lot like the aji lemons I grew last year. Upright pods and same shape.

http://i586.photobuc...optyne1/343.jpg
Hi Jamison. They do look alike. I know now it sure isn't a Scotch Bonnet though :( I hope Grants plants will come through for me :) Love those Scotch Bonnets!

Barbies and spiders give me the willies
lol I'll take spiders over Barbie any day ;) Beer is better than both and Chillies trump them all!

I think we have the same list, just offered differently, I'm going from worst to best. it seems from your barbie and spider comments that you're listing in reverse.

What the hell? I must be drunk if I'm reading that much into this.

I think we have the same list, just offered differently, I'm going from worst to best. it seems from your barbie and spider comments that you're listing in reverse.

What the hell? I must be drunk if I'm reading that much into this.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OHHHHHHHH My bad. Yes. You and I are seeing eye to eye through drunk gargles.

Now just add lisdexia :think: to the list of our ailments and we are all screwed! lol

Look Pia, it's an excerpt from the forthcoming Barbee movie done by Tanrantinos... it's called "Barbee and the spiders from Mars"... this is the scary scene where Barbee is eaten by the giant marshian spiders while drinking beer and eating a chilli. It's going to be released this spring :) You know you want to see it... ;)

IMG_1747.jpg

Apparently it's also going to be available in 3D!!!

Lourens,

Sorry buddy, I haven't been on lately with the newborn and all. Your plants look absolutely, positively fan-freaking-tastic! I asked my wife if we could move to a climate more suitable for growing peppers. She said "No". Damn it.

Keep those pictures coming!
Conor

lol on spider, and for the question I really don't want to ask, how did that condom chili taste :D
lol I have no Idea (he says with a very gruff lumberjack voice)...

That spider looks a little feely.......eight legs, might make any woman squimish............ :shocked:
I tell you, this movie is going to be scary and a box office hit!

Lourens,

Sorry buddy, I haven't been on lately with the newborn and all. Your plants look absolutely, positively fan-freaking-tastic! I asked my wife if we could move to a climate more suitable for growing peppers. She said "No". Damn it.

Keep those pictures coming!
Conor
Conor! I thought you had dropped off the face of this earth! I was about to give you a shout. Was thinking about you the other day and thought... thats odd! CONGRATULATIONS my friend! - boy or a girl, 1, 2, 3, 6 or 16?

If it had been me I would have said while seemingly reading a magazine" Darling, Angel, Love of my life.... I'm reading this article... did you know that in South Africa, not only is the weather much better, but our dollars would be ten fold more. That would equate to endless shopping, sunbathing and sunset cocktails for you every day on the beach :). Apparently women don't work there, they have nannies to look after their kids and the women are women of leisure... hm, imagine that" :)

OOoops Caroline the Reaper just read my post. Now I'm screwed :shocked:

Darling, Angel, Love of my life.... l have read this article about Ontario, Canada... sounds like an amazing place.... :D

On a more serious note lol... I will be going to the farm tomorrow. So, I will take more pics for you guys.

I have done taste tests of the first Habanero, Thaibo and Thai Dragon... and the heat just wasn't what I expected. I think the consistant watering is making the pods quite low heat wise... or is it just normal for the first couple of pods to be quite mild?

Does anyone have any information to add to this? Is it better practice to stress the chillies (cut down on watering) before going to harvest? Will reducing the watering force the chillies into going red as well?

Calling all gurus to give me some advice!

It's true that chiles are hotter in drought years... we had one last year and my chiles had more zing. I'm not sure if it's from less water, hotter outside temperatures or a combination of both. I'm interested in the consensus on this one too.

Well, we are having a heat wave at the moment, its 38ºC today... haven't had rain for quite a few days now... so come on heat!

Back