Perlite versus Rice Hulls

I was looking for something online and came across this:

http://www.groworganic.com/rice-hulls-50-lb-bag.html

The description says:

"This uniquely processed rice hull amendment is a readily renewable resource requiring no mining or land disruption to produce. As so many growers have learned, it is a perfect replacement for perlite in the growing media - providing a less dusty mixing environment, lower basic cost and decomposition over time, while remaining stable during the typical plant production cycle. PBH Nature's Media Amendment is OMRI listed and WSDA registered for organic production. Extremely lightweight and highly compressed when packaged, it generates less waste and reduces storage requirements, handling and freight. De-compressed, it is 7.5 cu. ft. Its physical size, shape and bulking properties produce optimum air-filled pore space, water-holding capacity and drainage, while its natural color blends with other media components. Uniquely processed to ensure purity, PBH Nature's Media Amendment is sized, cleaned and subjected to a series of heat treatments that collectively sterilize the rice hulls and render any residual rice kernels, weed seeds or disease pathogens non-viable. Greenhouse-proven PBH Nature's Media Amendment offers environmental, horticultural and economical advantages. Growers who rely on it gain sustainability, reduce input costs and sacrifice nothing in terms of plant quality."

Have any of y'all tried using Rice Hulls and if so how'd they work out? If they were good I might pick up some to add to the raised beds I'll be building.

they are in my berger soilmix, they appear to work good.
They don't stock this at my local nurseries or i would try it. (also seems more expensive atleast the link you provided)

That was just the first link that had it so I used it to post the question. I'm pretty sure I can find them for less just have to do a little more searching.

I don't think it's more expensive at all.  $30 for 7.5 cubic feet is a good deal IMO.  My local hydro shop sells 4 Cubic foot bags of chunky perlite for that price.  Home depot sells 2 Cubic foot bags of perlite for $17.  You certainly get a lot more rice hulls than perlite for your money.

RocketMan said:
I was looking for something online and came across this:

http://www.groworganic.com/rice-hulls-50-lb-bag.html

The description says:

"This uniquely processed rice hull amendment is a readily renewable resource requiring no mining or land disruption to produce. As so many growers have learned, it is a perfect replacement for perlite in the growing media - providing a less dusty mixing environment, lower basic cost and decomposition over time, while remaining stable during the typical plant production cycle . PBH Nature's Media Amendment is OMRI listed and WSDA registered for organic production. Extremely lightweight and highly compressed when packaged, it generates less waste and reduces storage requirements, handling and freight. De-compressed, it is 7.5 cu. ft. Its physical size, shape and bulking properties produce optimum air-filled pore space, water-holding capacity and drainage, while its natural color blends with other media components. Uniquely processed to ensure purity, PBH Nature's Media Amendment is sized, cleaned and subjected to a series of heat treatments that collectively sterilize the rice hulls and render any residual rice kernels, weed seeds or disease pathogens non-viable. Greenhouse-proven PBH Nature's Media Amendment offers environmental, horticultural and economical advantages. Growers who rely on it gain sustainability, reduce input costs and sacrifice nothing in terms of plant quality."

Have any of y'all tried using Rice Hulls and if so how'd they work out? If they were good I might pick up some to add to the raised beds I'll be building.

I've never used them, but from the description it sounds like they last about one growing season before decomposing. It seems to me they would be better suited for containers when you plan to discard the soil at the end of the year. For raised beds you would have to add rice hulls every year? Perlite lasts a really long time, so it seems it might be the better choice for your application.

Just a thought.

rice hulls are awsome i have used them in my mix for pots for years. very cheap at the feed stores less than the home depot.
ive heard it burns nitrogen as decomposes but i use rabbit compost and have never even come close to having N deficiency.as far as decomposing i would think that was a good thing and turn in fresh next year .

Back