• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Peroxide and fungus

Ive got some White habaneros in jiffy pellets that have the lovely white fungus on the surface of the dirt/medium. Ive seen on here about treating/misting it with hydrogen peroxide. Diluted,full strength? I have been bottom watering but stll misting the tops because they looked so dry. I know just the bottom. Read on one post scrape it off, treat until gone. Also, they are inside, and this may sound stupid but, is it ok to have fungus growing in your house? They will shortly be outside, but have plenty coming behind them. Can you have fungus andit not be dampning off, the plants look fine, just want to resolve it. thanks in advance

White or geen mold is no big deal on the soil surface. Simply scrap it off, loosen the top 1/8" of peat to let the air penetrate the lower level. If you want to spray HP. I would use 2 oz to a qt misting bottle diluted with water. Its important to get the top layer of soil to dry. If not its a "Disco" for fungal gnats.
I'd bottom water the jiffy's , let the peat wick up the water. No big deal.........

Here's a link to a handy chart someone posted a while back: http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

Sorry, don't remember who posted it originally!

But, note that when I mist the surface soil I usually use it straight. Only when watering with it or starting seeds do I dilute it.

Any pics?

The reason I ask is that I've seen a couple of posts on here about white fungus on Rapid rooter type plugs that really isn't fungs at all. Just the salts and minerals from the water that evaporated.

I'll post some pics, its definitely white and growing. The plants don't seem to mind but wasn't sure if it could escalate into something . Thanks geeme, chart says 1 tbsp to a cup of water, I'll try that. Thanks also to everyone else.

Here's a pic of salt build up.

DSC027672300x1725_zps90a4321c.jpg

I bottom water so the salt is wicked up along with the water and it gets deposited on the surface. This comes off in chunks, mold will just mush together and slide off of the surface. If you're bottom watering don't worry about the surface looking dry. As long as the plants aren't sagging the roots are getting the water and that's all that matters. Some air movement directly on the plants will keep mold issues down too.

Back