• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Peruvian food tomorrow!!!

Just got back with this nice jar and 3 lbs of beef cheeks. Looks like Peruvian food is on the grill tomorrow - Antichuchos!

And I happen to have a few more Aji peppers as well,

They're all different, usually the menu has at least 10 ceviches. All kinds of fish (halibut, red snapper, salmon, tuna, etc.) and shellfish, all kinds of marinades, some with papaya, some with ginger, some with corn nuts (just like those corn nut snacks, but awesome marinated in the ceviche), onions, lime, and aji limo peppers. Some with habs. The best.

Usually they all have key lime juice and aji limo peppers.

very garlickey and limey, I think. 
No ketchup. The ceviche itself is very light in color.
I don't know what it is, but the sauce they use is amazing, and it seems to be pretty standard across different restaurants.
It's great everywhere.
You can order it "mixto", which comes with fish, shrimp, squid, and octopus. 
I get mine "sin pulpo". Don't dig on the octopus myself.
Its served with a mound of paper thin red onions, boiled sweet potato, and steamed white corn on the cob that has the biggest kernels you've ever seen.
Like each one is the size of a lima bean.

My place features rotisserie chicken too, "Pollo a la brasa" I think it's called. They have the beef with french fries too. But I've yet to try those.

They speak NO ENGLISH there, and apparently my dialect of spanish as I know it doesn't jive with what they think I'm saying.

I let the waitress order for me. 
This is usually an expensive decision to make, but I have yet to be disappointed.

frydad4 said:
and steamed white corn on the cob that has the biggest kernels you've ever seen.
Like each one is the size of a lima bean.

Yup, that's what I meant by corn nuts. To me they tasted like the corn nut snacks, just rehydrated a bit in the marinade. I wonder what they really are. Steamed you say?

Sounds like we have very similar places. I love it. I had the menu in hand tonight, but got sushi instead. Gonna get this soon. Sooo good. I often get it multiple times per week.

Oh yea, they serve fried corn-nuts too.
But they are pillowey soft in the middle. Crunchy outside, coated in salt.
Those come in a little bowl on the side.
The steamed corn comes in the middle of the ceviche. 
Totally moist, like corn on the cob as we know it, just giant sized.
The fried ones are something different (and awesome)

Damn, I love Peruvian food more and more as I think about it!!!

If you don't know about this cuisine, I HIGHLY recommend finding your local joint and paying it a visit. 
It should be more widely known!!!!

Oh okay! Yeah here they add the corn nuts to a few of the ceviches. It's good.

frydad4 said:
I don't know what it is, but the sauce they use is amazing, and it seems to be pretty standard across different restaurants.

Leche de tigre. The "run off" of marinade, they often add it back into the ceviches, and also serve it as a drink. Boom!

http://www.yumsugar.com/What-Leche-de-Tigre-Tiger-Milk-10881673

texas blues said:
Stop it!

I think I'm swooning!

Corn Nuts.

Beer Nuts.

In ceviche?

Geez..

I need oxygen.

Cancha - is nearly always at a table to pick at while you wait for your food in any Peruvian restaurant, people also traditionally add it to their ceviche (its not served with it) to add a crunchy texture to the ceviche, chifles (plantain chips) can also accompany the cancha. In Ecuador they also use popcorn for this effect, whaich ofcoarse the Peruvians find blasphamous lol.

cancha-main.jpg

Ceviche literally changes between regions and restaurants. Choclo (giant white corn) can be a common ingredient served in ceviches, but is not necessarily the norm. In the North it is also common to find white beans in a ceviche. A popular street food in Peru (one of my favs) is choclo con queso, which is the ridiculously simple, boiled cob of choclo served with a piece of Peruvian cheese

DSC04499.jpg

frydad4 said:
You can eat Chupacabra????

:rofl:

Nice research Tinnie! :)

Thanks for the names of the corn.

Reminds me of a dish called pastel de choclo. If y'all can find this GET IT!

Tinnie said:
Cancha - is nearly always at a table to pick at while you wait for your food in any Peruvian restaurant, people also traditionally add it to their ceviche (its not served with it) to add a crunchy texture to the ceviche,

It may have been "in" mine because I order it to go so they pop a few in, unlike having the bowl at the table. Or it may just be in some of the ceviches. Not sure on that. But it does add a great texture to ceviche!

I'd have to actually dine there to find out. It's one of my take-out/delivery places that I have yet to dine in.

I LOVE pastel de choclo. My friends used to make it in when I lived in London. That plus Empanadas. Crap, now I have to find the ingredients and make some!

Dude post that up in here. I haven't had that in so long, and it's so good. Would love to see one THP style. The heat would go so well with the sweet.

JayT said:
We have a Peruvian place here.  It is the Mrs. favorite place to eat.  I love the ceviche.

You bring that and don't post pics?

It's mrs. JayT fave place for cryin' out loud!

And Peruvian sheeit too!

Dan!

Whereda' pics at from your pickup joint?

C'mon now.

Who knew?  El Serrano in Lancaster.

How did you know that was me TB?

My accent gave it away didn't it?

Back