• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Pests, deficiencies, or both?

4’ x 4’ Grow tent
800 W COB LED Grow Light
Fertilizing using Dyna Gro Foliage Pro at 0.8 mS/cm (EC), with added Calcium and Magnesium, Pro-Tekt Silicon Supplement, and Beneficial Bacteria. All adjusted to a pH of ~5.8. pH in the semi-hydroponic containers and Kratky is usually below 6.5. Using gritty mix with added gypsum, 5:1:1 with added dolomitic lime, potting soil, semi-hydroponic, Kratky, and deep water culture as growing methods. Ambient temperatures don’t exceed 78 degrees F. Constant fan provides air movement. Lights are on 16 hours a day. The plants in gritty mix, 5:1:1, and soil all have Osmocote controlled-release fertilizer top-dressed. I don’t fertigate on a schedule, I just do it when the medium becomes dry/water level gets too low. Found what appear to be black aphids on a few of the plants. All plants were sprayed with a Pro-Tekt/Neem oil/Soap/Water mixture, including under the leaves. As pictures show, the leaves have yellow spots, tend to droop even when not over/underwatered, have shiny stuff on top, new growth is deformed and sometimes yellow. So am I dealing with a pest problem, nutrient deficiencies, or both? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Pics here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3784059/pests-nutrient-deficiency-or-both?n=8

800 fucking watts? how many led chips is that? 8 x 100w?

cob still means circuitry on board right?

i though COB only applied to LED modules that take ac? so each LED module has its own power supply? thats fucking stupid if so.

^ COB just means multiple LED dies deposited on the same circuit board. Electrically each die takes single digit DC voltage, but are often wired in series and parallel, requiring a higher DC voltage, and when as high as 800W, a complete light product/fixture that includes an AC-DC current regulated driver circuit.

Additionally, most of them aren't really 800W. What they do is use 5W "capable" LEDs, then multiply like 160 leds * 5W equals 800W, but they aren't capable as-implemented in the product due to insufficient thermal capacity, and end up at a sum power level around half that... which is fine, it's still X amount of light for y amount of money. Some are honestly rated but the overrated generics are still more light for the money. Unfortunately it's also harder to diagnose based on pictures when everything is tinted purple.

The leaves are actually that color. And any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated. What would cause the yellow spots seen in many of the photos?

Back