• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Pet Word Peeves

Oy. Sometimes I see the way native speakers slaughter the English language, and it just makes my skin crawl. Sure, we all just make typos from time to time, but here are a couple of my pet word peeves:

- Misuse of an apostrophe to make a word plural. "Ants" is plural - no apostrophe should be used.

- Misuse of their, there, and they're. "They're" is a contraction of "they" and "are" - they're going on vacation. "Their" is possessive - that is their car. "There" either refers to a location or a general state of existence. An example of a location: put the box over there. An example of a general state of existence: there are people who like hot peppers.

Can't claim perfection here, by any means, but those two..... :lol:

Please feel free to share your own!

You covered one of my pet peeves. I also hate phantom limb pain. It should be phantom limb sensation. It might not be pain. I experience itching,I feel like water is between my toes. It is a more extreme referred pain. You hurt or itch somewhere that isn't injured but the place that is actually injured you fot some reason you don't feel it where it is coming from.

pet peeve- when I find and correct more grammar and spelling errors in my document than SpellCheck or Word does. The new Word is better but the older Word....pathetic! And I don't have a college edjumacashun. sheesh, it's pretty bad when a high school graduate does better than the computer program.

other Pet Peeve-----AUTO CORRECT/TYPE on the cell phone! If I wanted to say chitlins instead of chipotle....I would have written CHITLINS!!!! But technically, I suppose that should be chit'lin's.

Pet Peeves could almost be merged with Petty Gripes.

Some times I think of this but I would not call it a pet peeve. I think the intelligence on this board is pretty good. You should try going on some car related forums.

You covered one of my pet peeves. I also hate phantom limb pain. It should be phantom limb sensation. It might not be pain. I experience itching,I feel like water is between my toes. It is a more extreme referred pain. You hurt or itch somewhere that isn't injured but the place that is actually injured you fot some reason you don't feel it where it is coming from.
I've more often heard it called phantom limb syndrome or more simply "phantom limb", but I've also heard phantom limb pain used. For kicks and grins, I googled "phantom limb", and yep, "pain" came up much more often than "syndrome." Weird, I agree. The articles I found acknowledged that the perception may not be pain at all, but still used "pain" throughout the rest of the article.

Our brains are fascinating things.

The expression is "for all intents and purposes". The expression is NOT "for all intensive purposes". Get it right people.

Also, irregardless is not a word. Irrespective is a word. Regardless is also a word. Irregardless is a double negative which makes it mean the exact opposite of what people are trying to say when they say irregardless. Also it's not a word. I've been in meetings with people with advanced degrees who say this and while I probably should not judge them for it, I do. Every single time.

"so therefore" - pick one. "My arm hurt SO I went to the doctor" or "My arm hurts, therefore I am going to the doctor". Using both is redundant.

My final and perhaps biggest pet peeve is people who come into topics like this where people are having an intelligent and interesting discussion & rather than participate they say snyde/snarky things that aren't in the spirit of the topic and are more like a vaguely disguised personal attack on the topic starter.

Really sticks in my craw. (an expression that's also a pet peeve, btw)

My final and perhaps biggest pet peeve is people who come into topics like this where people are having an intelligent and interesting discussion & rather than participate they say snyde/snarky things that aren't in the spirit of the topic and are more like a vaguely disguised personal attack on the topic starter.

Really sticks in my craw. (an expression that's also a pet peeve, btw)

Pretty sure at least part of that was directed at me vaguely. Lol.

My main pet peeve is the word "anymore" used incorrectly.

Proper: "It used to be my favorite restaurant, I dont go there anymore."

Incorrect: "It used to be my favorite restaurant, but it sucks anymore."

Nuculer. (if that's even how you spell it). Made popular by one of the dumbest most powerful men in the free world. GWB.
C'mon man. Really? If a third grader confuses nuclear and nuculer, it's still appalling.

People who nitpick.

So what's your word pet peeve? "People", "who", or "nitpick".
Seems a little passive aggressive towards the OP.

Grammer...Grammar is my pet word peeve. Just messing around with you Salsalady! Scovie,that nucular word has had my gander for years!!! How about "textes".. He sent me 15 textes today.

Grammer...Grammar is my pet word peeve. Just messing around with you Salsalady! Scovie,that nucular word has had my gander for years!!! How about "textes".. He sent me 15 textes today.

damn....missed that one....(shouldn't of re-wined while posting) ...:lol: :cool:

Back