• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pete Maws' 2013 Glog

Hi,

My 2013 growing season is starting off on shaky ground, but hopefully the New England weather will warm up so I can get some huge plants from my overwintered survivors, select some nice F2 hybrids in my breeding attempts, and make more interesting crosses. Holding me back for the time being is a lot of shade (huge oak tree) in the backyard and somewhat limited space/resources. I’m also having to start seeds late and without dependable heat. Despite their being in a very cool basement, I was able to overwinter plants under 4 T8 lights. (Wish I had a warm window in addition to the lights, but that will have to wait). There was a aphid explosion and then flies and mold fed off the aphid waste. I finally controlled the aphids and most of plants pulled though. For a few weeks now, they've been outside during the day (mostly 60’s temperatures) and inside at night with a few extra hours of lights. Now some are looking anywhere from a little limp to a quite sick as you'll see below. Could it be too much water? There was heavy rain last week right after I upped their watering. I had been keeping them fairly dry over the winter.

Overwintered plants:

annuums:
3x chiltepin Sonoran orange
"PRGW" = Puerto Rican generic hot pepper x goat’s weed (the Puerto Rican pepper was probably “large thick cayenne” or similar).

chinense:
2x CAP 691
1 large red 7 pot (my only superhot started last year and seems to be deceased as of a few days ago).

The above chinense were started very late last summer, suffered greatly over the winter from the aphids and mold and then, just as winter was ending, I let them dry out – fortunately at least one of the CAP 691's is recovering.

frutescens:
3x Bradley’s Bahamian - got these as bonus seeds from Pepper Lover and they seem to be nice plants; overwintered well and have dark leaves, a trait I like.
2x Malagueta – got them as a hotter, earlier and darker-leaved alternative to tabasco (though the Bradley’s are darker, seem hardier and are supposedly very early for a frutescens).
1 large tabasco - stems are still green but it may be dead (it was brought in mainly for ripening pods last fall).

Other:
3x “ABCD” - Aji dulce (chinense) x annuum cross – these plants looked very like the Aji dulce mom at first, except more compact. Thought they were all chinense til they got bigger and had fruit. The fruit was much, much hotter than I expected and the winter leaves are much smaller. None of the winter fruit had a lot of seeds, but I hope to get a bunch of F2 seeds soon. I did outcross the first pod last fall and got some seeds. “Plant A” seemed the best last year (maybe had slightly more buds than others) and still looks great, but suddenly the other 2 plants have wilted.
Blue Mystery from Pepper Lover – was a free bonus that I really liked and the plant was the healthiest through most of the winter, but something happened to it in the past few days so it may be on its way out.

Recently sown seeds:
Superhot chinense:
Monster naga – hope this grows fast, like the regular nagas did for me in PR.
Bhut red
Brain Strain
Large red 7 pot
Other chinense:
Datil
Wild Brazil
Bode

Hybrids:
25x PRGW from best plant – will select fuzziest plants, then earliest flowers/fruit, then shape and taste (F1’s didn’t taste much better than goat’s weed); Not a really special cross, but I’m going for a cayenne-like fruit on a pubescent plant that overwinters well; a “Fuzzy Cayenne”. Hopefully I’ll get that black to red fruit trait as well from goat’s weed.
Also Growing a few tabasco x habanero – I know this cross has been done many times, but maybe I can use these as a “bridge” for some later crosses.

Here are some pictures I took today (bear in mind that these were started late last summer and overwintered in far less than ideal conditions):

Chiltepin Sonoran orange:

Does anyone know if the above is good choice to put in one of my largest containers? Chiltepins can get huge; correct? Would it grow significantly in it's second season?

Bradley's Bahamian:

A recovering CAP 691:

Sickly CAP 691 - they both had shriveled, but this one grew back light-colored leaves and then the leaves started curling up yesterday:

Healthy "ABCD" pepper:

A sickly ABCD:

Thanks for looking and let me know if you have ideas about the sick plants. I just checked the weather forecast and it will indeed warm up (80's !) so hopefully I'll get to repotting and see some germination.

Thanks Ramon!  Hopefully I'll get a nice wave of ripening pods/plants and have more colorful pictures to post.  The tepins should look great with a lot of ripe pods on the them.  The CAP 691s are also supposed to go through a few color changes, but so far they are just light greenish-yellow.  Wish I had a few superhot pod pics to post as well but the bhut has been uncooperative so far!  Lots of new buds though.

- Tick

[SIZE=9.5pt]Another update:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]The plants are mostly doing well and ripening is picking up.  Many of my planned crosses  have set as well.  I've even started some seeds from these crosses and I'll hopefully see what comes up soon.  Unfortunately, just as some of my most anticipated crosses have both parents flowering, some key plants are getting sick.  I think it's BLS.  It’s been kind of gray, warm and humid by day and rainy and cooler at night.  Good news is that the bhut is flowering again and there are some new seedlings which are mostly doing well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Here’s the aji dulce x annuum pod from last time after further ripening:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]I could definitely taste the raspberry flavor of its mom over the fairly high heat.  I’ve planted some of the seeds.  If any comes up they will be ¾ annuum.  I will look for the most pubescent and/or chinense-like seedlings.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Here are more pods on the plant (either open-pollinated or various crosses):[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]After moving one of my 3 aji dulce x annuum F1s into the backyard it seems that they (it) cannot set pods on its own.  The backyard plant has set pods if I use pollen from other varieties, but doesn’t on its own even if I use my fingers to help it.  (Neighbors must think I’m a pepper pervert).  Its pollen must be nonviable or nearly so.   I now assume that most non-hand pollinated pods are from neighboring plants.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Here’s my second favorite cayenne x goat’s weed:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]It grew best last summer, and it was pruned severely this spring after it dried out.  The pods are bigger but don’t turn as chocolate as the ones in the last update.  I could detect some decent flavor and possibly sweetness (beyond that of plain goat’s weed).  I’ll probably grow some F2s from this one as well.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Here’s the sick CAP 691:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
The CAP 691s are most affected with the frutescens only mildly and the Portugal Hots having maybe brought in the disease (I bought them as seedlings and they have been strruggling off and on ever since).  It's probably been spreading in part because of the beetle damage.   I still see the beetles and they really can mince up leaves overnight.  I’ve moved the affected plants away from the rest and to where they will have more sun and air circulation[SIZE=9.5pt]  I’ve removed a bunch of leaves and many have dropped.  All I have right now is fungicidal oil and sulfur to treat it.  I’ve used the oil in case it’s actually a fungal disease or that it may help anyway.  I may make up a sulfur solution and spray in the evening as well.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]The whole CAP 691 plant:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]It had been impressive with how it performed and it’s unique yellow anthers.  I think it may actually behave like a frutescens in some ways more than the wild chinense it’s supposed to be.  A lot (but not all) of the crosses I’ve tried using it as a pollen parent with annuums haven’t set.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]At least now I have this Wild Brazil seedling:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]It could take the place of CAP 691 for me as a wild chinense.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]The aji dulce seedlings are very vigorous but have brown-tipped leaves:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Their pot was extremely water-logged for whatever reason so I hope that’s what the problem was (and not disease) as the newer leaves on the left look ok so far.  I brought them in for some extra lighting and to avoid rain a few evenings ago.  Of course, it finally rained after I put them back outside and went to bed![/SIZE]

Finally monster naga and datil after repotting:

[SIZE=9.5pt] Hope they stay healthy - it looks like it will be drier and sunnier for a few days at least and then warmer again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]- Tick[/SIZE]

It looks like things are doing really well for you tick, and ripe pods are the main event! You've got some very interesting crosses going... If it has a Raspberry flavor to it, the Aji Dulce sounds intriguing... I may have to try that one in future since I know the Ajis do well here. Cheers!

Thanks Simon and Stickman!

The mother aji dulce was bought from a supermarket in Puerto Rico in a 4” pot.  Shortly before I left, it produced a lot of reddish-orange pods with “scorpion” tails.  It was pretty broad mite resistant as well.  I can't match it up well with the other chinense aji dulces listed on various websites.  There’s a pic of the unripe pods (very cool scalloped calyxes) in my previous glog and I reposted the plant pic in this glog.  I ate them off the plant – had that nice raspberry flavor and were a few hundred SHU at most.  I returned to PR after a year and it was the only plant still alive.  There were a few unripe pods.  My 2 seedlings are from those and they are a priority of mine.  I hope they make it to maturity to get a lot more seeds.  I have 7 likely viable seeds left from the mother, but Stickman, you’re welcome to some.  Since you’re an experienced grower (and also in MA), I think you would increase the likelihood of keeping the line going.

As for the aji dulce hybrids, I’m surprised at the colors of the ripening pods.  Some go yellowish, some go dark.  The plants are compact, produce tons of flowers and take cool weather and overwintering well.   They have the same aji dulce mother as above.  Their annuum father was from a Peppermania mystery seed.   It had very large flowers starting when just a few inches tall.  The flower stems forked so there were multiple pods per node but not in the manner of a chinense. Its pods were long and going from yellow to orange just as it got killed by mites.  I’m sure many of you can guess from the description but I’ve haven’t said what I think dad was because I’ve been waiting for F2s.   At the moment, I think most of their open pollinated pods aren’t selfed based on an experiment I’m trying.  I think the nearby tepins and cayenne x goat’s weeds have been helping with pollination though. Since the hybrids’ pollen might be bad, I’ve also been hand pollinating with other varieties:

For now, the x tepins (Sonoran Orange) are the ones I’m most interested in crossing back.  The above pod on the right has turned red as of today! I’m hoping the tepin’s wildness will improve genetics and pollen viability.  Of course, if the new aji dulce seedlings survive and my hybrids overwinter again I’ll cross back to the mother line as well.

-          Tick

A Chiltepin Sonoran Orange looking like a little fruit tree:

Used it in my chili tonight

Some new seeds for next year are finally coming up and this time they're healthy - I must have been planting too shallow before or had bad luck, but I've had a lot of seed caps staying on this year.

This PI 257176 came up in 6 days and is growing very rapidly:

Other new additions are red 7 pots, more datils (these seem to be quick and reliable germinators), brain strains and a tray full of cayenne x goat's weed F2s is starting to have sprouts!

- Tick

Hi Tick,
   The Aji Dulce cross and Orange Chiltepin chiles are looking great! Thanks for the offer of seeds, but I'll look around for ones that'll grow true. :)  The chili sounded excellent... what kind of flavor did the Chiltepins have?

I like that Chiltepin Orange.....they look like kumquats!
That's a cool photo of your labeling process with the crosses...

[SIZE=9.5pt]Thanks PIC 1 and Stickman,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Yes, that chiltepin looks just like a little citrus tree.  The pods were much juicier than I expected and the flavor, but not heat, was a little disappointing with the first few I tried. Maybe it was a difference between plants or earlier pods, but now I detect slight apricot tones and maybe some sweetness.  I thought tepins had quick sharp heat that then fades.  I guess it is for these but it sneaks up after 5-10 seconds and hits your throat.  It does fade fairly fast.  In cooking (chili), it's definitely a throat burn.  Also used my hybrids for some spaghetti sauce and got just the right amount of heat. The labeling works great for me [/SIZE] but the problem is finding different colored twist ties - [SIZE=9.5pt]tracking in Excel helps.   [/SIZE]

Most of the garden -

A garden friend and next years helpers? -

Problem is that pod is the aji dulce F1 crossed with the bhut.  It's one of the few crosses left that I'd like to start seeds from this summer.

That PI 257176 seedling from above:

It's still growing fast.  Kind of lanky and seeds were large.  The seeds, height and growth are like my old aji rojo  (chinense version, also from Peru).

CGN 21566 -

My cayenne x goat's weed F2 tray -

Sown 7/28 and now 47/48 have at least hooked!  Marked which ones seem to be most pubescent, but waiting on true leaves to really know.  Got 1 tricot!

- Tick

Went away for almost a week and a bunch of stuff going on in my life, but the peppers have been doing fine.  In fact, too many for me to use and everyone else I'm cooking for now hates spicy food.

The pruned cayenne x goat's weed is in full glory:

I've already harvested several pods off it.

Here's the biggest of my aji dulce x annuum plants:

The bhut is finally getting in on the pod action:

Here's the biggest Chiltepin Sonoran Orange:

I don't know what to do with all those pods!

Bradley's Bahamian is ripening and getting more flowers:

I've sprayed it with copper sulfate -  looks like paint - too concentrated maybe?  It's been that way for a few days and no obvious phytotoxicity 

Malagueta is finally blooming, but in one huge flush of buds:

Here's the monster naga from earlier this spring:

It only had a few leaf spots, but I'm playing it safe.  The BLS seems to be backing off anyway.  If not for a recent (beetle?) attack it would be a really nice young chinense plant.

Here are brain strains under protection from beetle attacks:

And some more hopeful overwinters, including some dark PI 21566s:

Finally an (aji dulce x annuum) X (cayenne x goat's weed) that is a little pubescent (only 1/4 goat's weed) and maybe a little chinense-like:

Out of 10-12, there's one more sort of like it.  

Other new crosses are growing as well.  Have pics of the one that I'm most excited about, which has a tepin mom, but the 3 seedlings up so far are growing very slowly.  Hope it really is a cross.  Also, have a batch of 5 (aji dulce x annuum) x tepin seedlings that have good variability, including 1-2 that have red stems and cotyledon edges. Not sure if it's environmental or even that unusual, but I don't think I noticed that trait before in any of the parental varieties.  Hope some color stays as they mature.  If the future overwinters do well, next year should be even better for crosses with more diverse chinenses.

- Tick

Fall update - some late-performing plants and new prospects for overwintering:

Here's the Bhut:

It's come into its own, but waited until the second half of summer to start setting.  It's no longer yellow and is now a nice, big and stocky plant.  I noticed that these pods were heavily-streaked with orange tonight and it will be warm for a while so they'll be at least a few ripe pods to try.

The malagueta was even slower:

It seemed even slower than last year's Tabasco, plus it had the leaf spot which mostly affected my frutescens and CAP 691.  Unless it (somehow) tastes much better and is significantly hotter than the Bradley's Bahamians, I'll probably not grow it next year.  It did rapidly get loaded with pods once it got going.

Here's the Bradley's:

I prefer it to the Tabascos I've grown in its growth habit and the flavor and texture of the pods.  Sets fruit much earlier than the Tabasco and malagueta, but the pods still take a bit of time to ripen.

Next is the datil I started earlier in the summer:

It seems to be healthy but I'm not sure where I'll put it and the first monster naga, since most of my other overwinters will be smaller.  The leaves were narrow for a chinense when it was younger but now they're broader and it looks like it could be a big plant next summer.  The first monster naga was a little bigger than the above datil, and had flower buds already, but I had to trim it back because of some diseased and/or damaged growth.

Clockwise from upper left are CGN 22207, a back-up monster naga, PI 257176, CGN 21566 and I think an F2 cayenne x goat's weed:

Brain strain:

And now some hybrids, some more random than others,

Here's my top cayenne x goat's weed F2 selection:

I'm growing 4-5 of the fuzziest and stockiest plants.  Hope some will grow to be bushy and have cayenne-type pods.

I crossed the aji dulce x annuum with the cayenne x goat's weed just to see if anything would look a bit chinense and still be fuzzy and the following plant stood out:

I think it looks fairly chinense-like for a plant that is 3/4 annuum and it is noticeably pubescent.

Next is a cross of the same aji dulce x annuum mom with a wild chinense dad:

This particular seedling has some color on its leaves that neither parent had.  It's 3/4 chinense and it and its siblings are growing fairly fast.   

Finally, a tepin crossed with the same wild chinense dad:

It was growing extremely slowly (much slower than the mother did last year), but it's starting to pick up.  It was #2 of my planned crosses  (and #1 may not have worked) so I hope it and/or its 2 siblings make it through the winter and perform well next summer.  Hope to find some interesting plants if I can get F2s.

- Tick 

Back