• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ph question for anyone

So my soil is testing around 8pH on my little 10 dollar tester from Lowe's. I have recently done a foliar Epsom spray as well as a small bottom watering with some Fish emulsion (5-1-1) since the pH check. Should I be concerned considering I am going to be planting up to their final bags sometime this weekend? I do have some blood meal and cow manure and sphagnum moss on standby for potting up. Do you suggest I mix some of this into my MG Moisture Control potting soil? As always, thank you ahead of time for the help.

-Jesse

Miracle grow should be pH balanced, I'd trust it more then the 8$ tester you bought, unless you're talking about the  cheap litmus paper test's which are reliable.

I got chlorosis on my seedlings with a pH of 7.8    so I'd take care of that if I was you. I needed to repot anyway, so I just started out with fresh ProMix, which is buffered to pH neutral.

Monkey Hunter said:
Miracle grow should be pH balanced, I'd trust it more then the 8$ tester you bought, unless you're talking about the  cheap litmus paper test's which are reliable.

No its a cheap two prong tester that has light detecter, ph and moisture test on it.

stickman said:
I got chlorosis on my seedlings with a pH of 7.8    so I'd take care of that if I was you. I needed to repot anyway, so I just started out with fresh ProMix, which is buffered to pH neutral.

I have been searching all around me in Jacksonville for ProMix. I cannot find it at any of the local nurseries that are around me. I wish I could though.

fupalooter said:
I have been searching all around me in Jacksonville for ProMix. I cannot find it at any of the local nurseries that are around me. I wish I could though.

Try Lowes and Home Depot, and local hardware stores.

fupalooter said:
No its a cheap two prong tester that has light detecter, ph and moisture test on it.

Try cleaning both prongs with steel wool before each use. You will get a more accurate reading.

I would definitely get a more accurate reading before assuming there's a problem.  One of the reasons MG works, is because it's buffered to provide the right amount of nutrients at the proper pH.  As much as pro-mix is anyway.  I'd be more concerned about acidifying your soil if you aren't using a buffered sphagnum peat moss.

Yeah I don't trust the cheap home testing solutions anymore.  I used a home tester and it said that my PH  ~7.5.  Being concerned about a high PH I sent a sample to my county cooperative extension to be tested and they said the PH was 6.3.  From now on, if I want to test my soil/potting mix I'm using the cooperative extension.

willard3 said:
Get the Ph down to 6-6.5. I grow in aeroponics and this works best.

Most definitely, having the right pH is essential for healthy plants.  The problem is, if the tester is off and you lower it, when it was already in a good range, you're creating problems that didn't exist.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I think I am going to just leave it alone and just pot up and throw some cow poop in with it to fert. They all seem to be growing well right now so I dont want to mess a good thing up because of a cheap ole' tester.

compmodder26 said:
Yeah I don't trust the cheap home testing solutions anymore.  I used a home tester and it said that my PH  ~7.5.  Being concerned about a high PH I sent a sample to my county cooperative extension to be tested and they said the PH was 6.3.  From now on, if I want to test my soil/potting mix I'm using the cooperative extension.

How long does it take to have that test done? Seems like it is kinda a bit intensive for container gardening.

fupalooter said:
How long does it take to have that test done? Seems like it is kinda a bit intensive for container gardening.
They quoted me 3 weeks, but I got the results in 1 1/2.  It is indeed intensive, but you learn a lot about the nutrient value of your mix.  The test cost me $10 and told me PH, N, P, K, Conductivity (EC), Calcium, Magnesium, Boron, and Sodium levels.  I got the test done because the high PH reading from the home kit and because my plants were growing at a snails pace with very light green leaves.  So I suspected a nutrient lockout scenario because of the high PH.  However, the PH turned out being fine and I had a VERY low N count (3 ppm when optimal is 110-174).  So yeah, you learn a lot about your mix from those tests.  I'll be sending samples in every year from now on so I can be prepared for the upcoming season.

Back