• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

Pr0digal_son said:
Awesome stuff Greg. Always great lighting in you photos. Very cool orange annuum pods. The nebru I grew looked like a round yellow 7 with a slighly rough skin. It is a yellow 7 x bonnet.

Another great season,probably even better than the last few. It was a pleasure tagging along.

Thanks my friend...
The orange pods are pretty cool, they came off the plant that stayed stark green throughout the summer. I haven't seen annuums that small and uniform.

It was a great season from start to finish.... I didn't change too much from the previous years, except I started up a month later than usual and I hit the plants heavy with AACT.....other than that we had a shit load of rain in June and a drought in July.

J...if it wasn't for your inspiration last season I may not have started a Glog..............tanx
PaulG said:
All too beautiful, Greg!

Thanks for further advice on the cuttings - the cups do have drain holes.
There is a sleeve for adding water.

Great Paul, I'll have to catch up and check out your glog for updates...
ronniedeb said:
Beautiful Greg. The bonnets in a jar look delicious.

ronniedeb said:
Beautiful Greg. The bonnets in a jar look delicious.

Thanks Ronan.....in a couple of months I'll start fishing some out for snacking on or an addition to a  Jerk marinade/ paste
romy6 said:
 Great story from beginning to well almost the end . :dance:
The narrator and photographer are the cats meow. :P

Again I say give the man a badge for hands down best glog of the year . 3 years in a row !!!!! :party:

:oops: .................WoW...Thanks that's quite a complement........appreciated

To read that made the effort worthwhile !

It has been 3 years...or as the ump says,"Strike Three !"...............Chances are I may not fire up a glog next season, but I will snap a few photo's of my plants to share in the growing section. It's been enjoying a for me to keep this somewhat entertaining.......and thanks to all who checked this out.

Here's a couple of shots from today.....

I got home from work today and the temp was already in the 40's so I thought I'd pick pods from the back garden in the easement. A good 5 gal buckets worth.
Only green pods hang from the plants.........they'll probably get "Freeze Dryed"  by the weekend since the temps will be in the low 30's.

A closer shot.....I started deseeding and grinding up pods this evening. It took a couple of hrs to get a little over 1/2 gal of pure mash. I'm surprised very little damage to the pods. Only 1 out of 100 had mold or darkening seeds. Little or no rain the last few weeks has also helped with very little pod splitting or softening.

Tonights dinner...It was suppose to be Italian Sausage sandwiches but I left the Italian bakery bread at work.......... :cry:
No prob though, I always have fresh pizza dough in the fridge, so I made an Artichoke Focaccia bread with sliced Tomatoes and Rosemary.
Fried up the Sausage rope, cut into coins and added that to some Tagliati and Red Sauce..........with slivered Bhut Jolokia........ :drooling: 

final   update after the weekend............thanks all !

It would been a big loss no PIC 1 glog in 2015, the best cook of all THP and for sure a top grower and photographer too!

Have you considered to make some 'nduja? It requires loads of peppers (around 30% on meat weight seeing some recipes), i want to do some (if i have time tomorrow i'll buy some guanciale and pancetta, i'll have hard time to fill guts with that meat) but i must use some powder not from my peppers, i don't have that much and i don't want to use it all. :P You have more than enough and i bet it will be fun and a good use. :D

Portuge said:
No glog next season? Gonna miss all of your excellent pics and cookery...

No glog next yr...but I'll post a few photo's here and there
ronniedeb said:
I also hope you reconsider not keeping a glog next year. 

I'll still be around....some folks fade away and completely disappear .......never to return............that's not me...
Devv said:
Good stuff all a round Greg!

You set a mark that's hard to beat for sure.

I'll bet you're ready for a break!

I've enjoyed your glog immensely this year ;)

Thanks Scott it was a pleasure participating here !
Essegi said:
It would been a big loss no PIC 1 glog in 2015, the best cook of all THP and for sure a top grower and photographer too!

Have you considered to make some 'nduja? It requires loads of peppers (around 30% on meat weight seeing some recipes), i want to do some (if i have time tomorrow i'll buy some guanciale and pancetta, i'll have hard time to fill guts with that meat) but i must use some powder not from my peppers, i don't have that much and i don't want to use it all. :P You have more than enough and i bet it will be fun and a good use. :D

Thanks for the over kind words !
I'm not sure what nduja is, but I will look it up..........see ya in the cooking sections
Here's the final update from my garden.......

Well we finally got hit with a hard frost........this came pretty early this season

Frost on the Bonnets...

Frost on the "EOB's"...

Most of the pods look like they just came out of the freezer.....very soft and mushy.

The last shot of the plants.......many pods were left on. I've been processing peppers all week........and yes, I do need a break !...lol

Thanks to all that have  supported not only my glog , but others............it's been a fun run

Great Glog to read this year. You sure do have the growing peppers process down pat, as well as so many ways to utilize them.  Loved seeing all the garden and food shots this year, thanks for the visual treats!

Amazing once again! Glad you'll be sticking around next year - I'll be looking forward to your additions wherever they are, but I'll miss your glog.  Maybe I'll have to go back through your previous ones.  Or you could just have a special Greg's greatest hits grow log full of wonderful food pictures and your best growing tips (cause I know you're looking for ways to fill your time ;) )

Well, the frost means you finally get a tiny break, Greg!

Awesome blog this season just in case I didn't say it before about seven times!

PIC 1 said:
I'm not sure what nduja is
Basically pork and pepper. And yeah, it's just that good on pizza (and pasta and bruschetta and so on). It's a thing i'm sure all chileheads here would love. Googling homemade nduja returns some recipes, i don't know wich one is the best. :D
Really cold at your home btw, here it's still not so cold.

You did good with keeping the frost away for that long.  Frost blanketed the ground and plants the same morning as you!  Well done sir,  you had an awesome run.  You should have ran downtown last night and gave Nik Wallenda a Reaper to eat while he walked across skyscrapers!  

Sad to see it go down by natures hand, but such a fantastic run this season!

I know I'm enjoying the break, the few plants I have left are easy to maintain compared to what I had in the garden. And you had twice the number!

One thing I miss about living up north is the sleigh riding. Pile the kids on your back and let it rip, of course now it would be G-kids...

Enjoy your upcoming break!

R.I.P. to a fabulous grow Greg... Thanks for the foodies too!

stc3248 said:
Such sad shots with the frosty pods...Sorry to have been so absent this season brother! 

Hey Shane! I tried to send you a pm, but your mailbox is full. Cheers!

Greg your Glogs have always been an inspiration for me. Hope you'll be around and through our grows with comments and bit's of advice to help us to better grows and beautiful gardens full of yummies!

Cheers Brother 

Back