• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pic: The Hornworn: Satan's representative on earth

It took a hornworm one afternoon to do this. I am just glad that the hornworm decided to leave 5 or 6 leaves, in total, on my habanero for its future growth. Rather generous on its part. Or maybe it was just too stuffed to eat even one more leaf. After all, it pretty much consumed an entire plant.

006-3.jpg

I had one decimate a pequin plant of mine. I just snipped the edges where leaves once were, and its starting to stretch its little leaves out again. Sorry to hear it man. I hate those little things. The one on my plant was at least as round as a nickel and maybe 4 inches long. He took out a whole branch of leaves.

My Red Savina and Congo Trinidad plants got completely stripped, no leaves left at all. They are just starting to sprout new leaves now. Another wierd thing is that only the plants from a certian vendor were attacked, all others were left alone.

Interesting. Im thinking that was what happened with my Jalapenos and a few of my bhuts. Only them. But this was with aphids. Anyways, they have since been neemed and are disapating quickly. Is anyone still selling ladybugs out there?

hey Mega...if you can find a fire ant mound, have some fun....poke a hole in the top of the mound big enough to stick the worm in, let the ants swarm and stick the worm in the hole...he won't stay there long, but the ants will totally consume it within the matter of an hour or two...we used to do that to small snakes when I was about 7 or 8 years old...

Awesome. So ants are angels now? Sent to send satans representatives home!!

About ants, are they a threat to pepper plants. I have constantly had a dozen or so on a few of my plants and they never seemed to hurt em, so I have left em alone. Are they a hindrance in any way?

hey Mega...if you can find a fire ant mound, have some fun....poke a hole in the top of the mound big enough to stick the worm in, let the ants swarm and stick the worm in the hole...he won't stay there long, but the ants will totally consume it within the matter of an hour or two...we used to do that to small snakes when I was about 7 or 8 years old...

I worry about you, AJ......

:rofl:

Went out and sprayed with a half strength dose of BT based on those pics. I havent seem one in about a month, so I'm getting nervous. A little preventative dose never hurt anyone.

Awesome. So ants are angels now? Sent to send satans representatives home!!

About ants, are they a threat to pepper plants. I have constantly had a dozen or so on a few of my plants and they never seemed to hurt em, so I have left em alone. Are they a hindrance in any way?

They can be if they are milking aphids. Or moving aphids. Keep an eye out.

That's why it's important to check your plants everyday if possible. Hornworms are nasty and voracious. They can do tremendous damage in 24hrs.

Those fat green monsters can ravage a plant in a short while. Glad ya finally got the critter.

I've only seen one so far this season, but it managed to lop the tips off of two upper branches on a BS before I caught it on the way up climbing toward the third branch tip. My chooks had it shredded in a matter of seconds.
devilsmokin.gif

I'm glad we don't have them here in Holland...
I really hope your plant survives, it looks great with all those pods

Back