• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

snack-food Pickled eggs?

Anyone here have a recipe for some good pickled eggs? I haven't had any in a long time!! Also, is there a source for quail eggs? I like them better than chicken eggs for pickling.

I know you can get quail eggs here at a local farmer's market, but that's the only place I've seen them. Check the hippy grocery store maybe? If not there, you may be able to find a local food/local farm guide somewhere and find a gamebird farmer.

BTW, you like pickled eggs? I don't think I'd eat one if you paid me, but then again, I've never tried one...

My favorite recipe for pickled eggs made several times a year:

12 chicken eggs. Double the recipe for additional eggs:

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed
6 whole cloves
1-2 medium onions, thinly sliced (I like red onions)
12 hard-cooked eggs, peeled.
AND THE BEST PART - - PEPPERS FOR TASTE AND HEAT.

Combine first 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Then cool. Place eggs, peppers and onions into large jar and cover with vinegar mixture. Marinate for a few days by leaving the jar in the fridge, then crack a cold beer and eat with your favorite hot sauce.

Note: Boil your jars and lids before placing eggs/onions.

Keep eggs in the fridge when not eating as pickled eggs cannot be shelved.

Enjoy.

I'm lazy all I do is buy a large jar or pickled pepper rings....eat most of the peppers and drop hard boiled eggs into the brine with a bunch of pepper rings for about a week and presto!!!! the lazy mans version...

RJC's recipe sounds awesome.. any of em with cloves is a winner in my book. i just threw some apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, cinnamon, cloves, brown sugar, and water in a jar for mine, were pretty good.

If you want spicy pickled eggs, you really have to add a lot of heat since the eggs won't easily absorb it

I made a dozen and a half yesterday. I put vinegar, orion slices, habanero pickled garlic, habanero slices, jalapeno slices, "pickling spices" from a jar, black peppercorns, and some cayenne powder and simmered it for about 10 minutes while the eggs were cooling off.

Insert blurry picture here:
IMG00199.jpg

I'll try one in a few days.

Back