• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Pickled Eggs

I do like a pickled egg!
I am not sure if you get them outside of the UK but they are great.
Start by making hard boiled eggs, peel and set aside to cool completely (they peel easier if they are still warm)
I then layer the eggs into a jar with sliced peppers of your choice (optional), I like to use Scotch Bonnet but use what you have or like.
Then cover with pickling vinegar. Leave for about a month and enjoy!

With pickled eggs its very hard to make them good and hot so I always overdo it with as many super-hotties as I can fit in the jar and/or start out with a spiced up vinegar

we definitely can get pickled eggs here in Texas and I know you can in the Southeast US...they are delicious...

and if you have someone you want to mess with...eat 3 or 4 pickled eggs and drink about a gallon of draft beer...you will be a gas emission device the next morning.... ;)

They are a staple up in the Upper Peninsula. College super food. The way we eat them is put a slice of pickled jalapeno on top, dash of tobasco, bite. Repeat. The B&B bar in Houghton had some of the best pickled eggs I've ever had(biased.....only slightly :) ) I made some years ago with a bunch of orange Habs I grew. Good stuff for sure.

we definitely can get pickled eggs here in Texas and I know you can in the Southeast US...they are delicious...

and if you have someone you want to mess with...eat 3 or 4 pickled eggs and drink about a gallon of draft beer...you will be a gas emission device the next morning.... ;)

Used to do that topped with a couple of chili dogs -- :whistle: was that you ?? :lol: :lol:

UPDATE

I just tried my last batch.
I used 12 eggs, 5 Scotch Bonnet and 5 Naga Morich. Absolutely the best I ever made.
My gums were burning before I had bitten all the way through.
A really good whole mouth heat but I could still taste the fruitiness of the chilli and the egg.
Only problem is I only have 4 left... sooo moorish

They were a staple food growing up in Norhtern Lower Michigan. However, we added cans of sliced Beets, thin sliced white Onions and sugar to the mix you mentioned. This added a few more things to nibble on in addition to the eggs. Gives the eggs a wicked red color right to the yellow of the egg!

Back