• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Pickled peppers....

You can use whatever peppers you want...I went with Jalapeno and Habanero since that is all I had but I would think your imagination is the only limit with this....

The recipe is super simple and very basic. It allows for full pepper flavor but adds sweet to cut the heat. This stuff is FANTASTIC on chili dogs, burgers, burittos, anything you would normally put relish or store bought jap peppers from the jar. And since the recipe is sweet...I dare say it would make a great desert topping as well...especially ice cream. Anyways, here's the recipe...

Alum
1 cup water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cups sugar
Garlic (optional)
Peppers of your choice. I used a plastic grocery bag full of Jalapenos and about 1/2 bag of habanero to make about 14 pints of peppers.

Slice up the peppers and mix. In a sauce pan mix the water, vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Pack the peppers into sterilized jars. If you use garlic, I just drop a clove or two into the jar before filling with the peppers. Add 1/4 teaspoon of alum to each jar. Fill with the liquid to about 1/2" from the top. Put on lids and boil the jars to for about 10 minutes to seal. That's all there is to it. I have to make about 3.5 times the recipe in order to get 12-14 pints.

PickledPepper.jpg

PickledPepper1.jpg

PickledPepper2.jpg

This sounds great. I am going to make up some today. Got to love making new recipes when the weather is crappy. Thanks for posting.

Alum, it is the white stuff the resembles salt or sugar. Found where the spices are in most stores. The only use i know for it is to make whatever you are canning crisp. All i know about the stuff and that i keep some around

I do use grape leaves Dan -they seem to work but without trying Alum I dont know. I have a grapevine growing on my Pergola that is absolutely huge - Id love to stuff'em if I could find a recipe that includes freah leaves

Tried without alum, a bit of olive oil, and whole last year---still have a jar left.

But came out oily. (Duhhhhh)

Wanted to get a nice dill flavor pepper, and crisp.
Lots of dill pickling spice, whole dill etc.
Didn't work.

Will try again this season with alum, piercing the peppers instead of whole or cut, and no oil.

Any idea on getting the dill flavor (kosher, not sweet) ?

Going to try 1 using actual juice left over in the pickle jar, but if anyone has a working formula--------- :onfire:

They were talking about pulling all alum for some reason. Pickle crisp will do the same thing. I was able to find more alum at a store so I guess the pull was cancelled.

Thanks for posting. I will try this in the fall. On the hunt for Alum as I never heard of it before!

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09314.html/

Here's a couple recipes that do not use alum, and includes cook times for processing. I ended up with about 15 pounds of chiles yesterday, so this looks like a good recipe to follow. Will post pics as it goes.

Here's todays project-

Yesterday, a local farmer dropped off about 55 ounds of jalapenos (for my salsa biz), and about 15 pound of Nu Mex type chiles. (I think they're Nu Mex, feel free to let me know if I'm wrong).

This Pickled Pepper thread had me interested, so I jumped in to make some pickled veggies stuff.

I used the 6c vin:3c H2O recipe in the link I posted before. It's an approved recipe, so I didn't have to worry about pH or anything. Added some cauliflower, onion and garlic to the mix, ran everything through a thin slicer...

18822157.jpg

The chiles had a really big core, so I used a tomato de-stemmer thingy to scoop out the pith, seeds and membrane. These are medium-mild chiles, so I wasn't worried about removing heat. It was more about making an enjoyable jar of chiles that wasn't full of massive seeds.
d5585a2b.jpg

85bff69b.jpg

Look at all this scraps-
d4567982.jpg

Ready to slice
fe5adf4b.jpg

aaaand....DONE!
ca09669a.jpg

0ede890c.jpg

Mixed it all up and packed it into jars. Add the brine, used a chop stick to get the air out, wipe the rims, add the lid and ring....Ready for the pot. I didn't have a round wire rack big enough for the pot I was using, so I just used 2 rectangle racks set crosswise. Sometimes ya gotta improvise~
68a2cb4d.jpg

to be continued, waiting for another post~

Back