• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Picklese...You Have To Try This!!!

I just made 2 batches of this. Amazing.
It was recommended to me by a Haitian friend of mine.
The idea is to keep replenishing the same jar as contents get low.
Have to keep everything under the vinegar. Enjoy.

Picklese
Pikliz - Vinaigre Piquant

by Mirta Yurnet-Thomas

Pikliz, or pickled scotch bonnet peppers, is used to give flavor to many dishes.
It is also placed on the table at mealtime so that you can sprinkle as much as you want over your food. Every Haitian kitchen has pikliz in the cupboard or refrigerator.

Yield: Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:

6 Scotch bonnet peppers
2 cups thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
½ cup thinly sliced or shredded carrots
¼ cup thinly sliced or shredded onion
¼ cup green peas (frozen)
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
8 to 10 peppercorns (optional)
3 cups vinegar
Method:
Snip off the stem of the peppers, cut each into 4 pieces, and keep the seeds.
Place hot peppers, cabbage, carrots, onion, green peas, cloves, salt, and peppercorns in a quart-size jar, then add the vinegar.
Close jar tightly and let sit at least 24-48 hours before using. Once you commence using it, store in the refrigerator.
It lasts for months.

Ok I'm on the Picklese band wagon!! - the jars I bought were too small but I have a lot of 'em :crazy:

Delicious stuff this Picklese :clap:

picklese.jpg

picklese2.jpg

looks good. Yea, those jars are quite small, but that's ok. Did you make the pikliz and the label? Or is that a store-bought product?
I made those yesterday, and had a sample for lunch today on a shredded beef wrap - delicious, and I'm sure the flavor will only get better with age. I printed up the labels, I have so much home made stuff in jars and bottles that I've gotten in the habit of putting a label on everything! (I'm sad, I know :) )

I noticed that on some of the pictures, folks have layered in the ingredients, rather than mixed everything together, then added it into the jar. Is there a reason for that, other than how it looks? I would imagine it makes it harder to use.

Also, a tip for anyone making this for the first time - I made more of the mixed ingredients than I needed. I made a hot slaw out of the leftover mix and it tastes great. I just dumped the blend of cabbage, onion, peas, habs, carrots into the food processor and give it a quick chop, then added mustard powder, dijon, paprika, mayo, a bit of lime juice, dash of apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. It's great!

Thanks!

I like to layer it because it looks nice. A few shakes and twists mixes it all up real good.

It all ends up mixed up anyway. But I give these away to people as gifts, so it looks impressive layered. Enjoy!

Last night we had hot dogs and Frots. I wanted to try the picklez on a dog but I sliced it all too thick and it doesn't sit well on there. So I put a bunch of it into the food processor and

2f313aad.jpg

It was perfect. Didn't have the raw consistency of the cabbage and peppers that was bugging me. Now I really love this stuff. Next time though cutting it thiner and fermenting it.

Cheers,
RM

Edit: looks kinda like a Chow chow now

I just mixed up some of this.

Bhut Jolokia in the bottom, shredded carrot, 2 cloves of garlic, packed with shredded cabbage, a tsp. of salt, a dash of celery salt and mustard seed, a dash of balsamic, and filled with apple cider vinegar. I hope it lights my face on fire when it is ready.

Woops I ate a whole jar with dinner tonight.. This stuff is great I am making more now and will keep my current stash full with more bits . Thanks heaps for the recipe

Hells yeah, just made my second 1 gallon batch. My brother loves it so much he kept hitting me up for more so made him one too. The thing is for me I like it even more after it's set and all the flavors have gotten happy together for a couple of months then I run it through the food processor and I wont eat a hot dog with out it anymore.

Ok I am really into this stuff.. just ate another bottle (after 2nd additions) I am going to make a a ton this weekend.. I believe this goes with pretty much everything.

Oh and to just add to this the frutier chillis would definately be best. Habanero's seem to be great for this mixture.

Ok I am really into this stuff.. just ate another bottle (after 2nd additions) I am going to make a a ton this weekend.. I believe this goes with pretty much everything.

Oh and to just add to this the frutier chillis would definately be best. Habanero's seem to be great for this mixture.

The original recipe calls for Scotch Bonnets, but I know it would be good with Habs. I hold a special place in my heart for habaneros.

And it really does go with everything...

Sandwich... topped with picklese.
Hamburger.... yes, some more picklese, please.
Meatloaf... never made a song about picklese, but should have.
Chicken... pass the picklese to me
Pulled pork with coleslaw.... and picklese.
Grilled yellowtail [fish] topped with picklese.

Back