• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Picklese...You Have To Try This!!!

I just made 2 batches of this. Amazing.
It was recommended to me by a Haitian friend of mine.
The idea is to keep replenishing the same jar as contents get low.
Have to keep everything under the vinegar. Enjoy.

Picklese
Pikliz - Vinaigre Piquant

by Mirta Yurnet-Thomas

Pikliz, or pickled scotch bonnet peppers, is used to give flavor to many dishes.
It is also placed on the table at mealtime so that you can sprinkle as much as you want over your food. Every Haitian kitchen has pikliz in the cupboard or refrigerator.

Yield: Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:

6 Scotch bonnet peppers
2 cups thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
½ cup thinly sliced or shredded carrots
¼ cup thinly sliced or shredded onion
¼ cup green peas (frozen)
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
8 to 10 peppercorns (optional)
3 cups vinegar
Method:
Snip off the stem of the peppers, cut each into 4 pieces, and keep the seeds.
Place hot peppers, cabbage, carrots, onion, green peas, cloves, salt, and peppercorns in a quart-size jar, then add the vinegar.
Close jar tightly and let sit at least 24-48 hours before using. Once you commence using it, store in the refrigerator.
It lasts for months.

Ok.  I have been looking at this thread forever.  Finally decided to make a bottle.  Here is what I used (pretty much the standard):
Yc82tOW.jpg

So, I used 4 Scotch Brains, 2 Peruvian Giallo Arancio (small Aji Amarillos) and about a dozen CGN 24360.  I got my inspiration to use the wilds from Grant's post.  I love those peppers any ways so it will be good to get one of them on my plate while eating this mix of veggies.  I thought the Amarillo's would be good for eating as well... something not as hot as the Scotch Brains.  I followed the recipe and threw it all in a quart jar.  I put in some extra cabbage and some extra peas and carrots because there seemed like there was some extra room.  It now looks like:

MRxovZF.jpg

I did crunch up a few cloves of garlic.  Do I need to worry that the garlic will go bad over time?  I put the jar on a table for now.  Once opened, I will put it in the fridge.

Looking forward to it!

bpiela said:
Ok.  I have been looking at this thread forever.  Finally decided to make a bottle.  Here is what I used (pretty much the standard):
Yc82tOW.jpg

So, I used 4 Scotch Brains, 2 Peruvian Giallo Arancio (small Aji Amarillos) and about a dozen CGN 24360.  I got my inspiration to use the wilds from Grant's post.  I love those peppers any ways so it will be good to get one of them on my plate while eating this mix of veggies.  I thought the Amarillo's would be good for eating as well... something not as hot as the Scotch Brains.  I followed the recipe and threw it all in a quart jar.  I put in some extra cabbage and some extra peas and carrots because there seemed like there was some extra room.  It now looks like:

MRxovZF.jpg

I did crunch up a few cloves of garlic.  Do I need to worry that the garlic will go bad over time?  I put the jar on a table for now.  Once opened, I will put it in the fridge.

Looking forward to it!
short answer... no-

Piklez is a PICKLED item, not a fermented item.  If there's enough vinegar in the mix, it'sallgood.

the Fermentation recipes discussed in FermentedPeppers101 do not have any vinegars involved until the end.....and only then in the final processing and that's only if the maker wants a bit of vinegar taste. 

Pickling uses vinegars/acids to keep the pH in the good zones and makes it easy to ... pickle... whatever your personal tastes likes!  

It's not kimchee (that's fermentation).  It is a PICKLED item.... like dilly beans, pickled eggs at the bar, cukes (aka PICKLES) ....  using vinegar as the preservation method, not fermentation. \

edit- might need to add this to the Weights&Measures  general questions. 

edit-PPS-That is a very nice looking jar of goodies, bpiela!

bpiela said:
Yc82tOW.jpg

MRxovZF.jpg

Looking forward to it!

Looks good! Should be really good ...

You've got a little more heat going in, which I think will make it more exciting ...

salsalady said:
short answer... no-

Piklez is a PICKLED item, not a fermented item.  If there's enough vinegar in the mix, it'sallgood.

the Fermentation recipes discussed in FermentedPeppers101 do not have any vinegars involved until the end.....and only then in the final processing and that's only if the maker wants a bit of vinegar taste. 

Pickling uses vinegars/acids to keep the pH in the good zones and makes it easy to ... pickle... whatever your personal tastes likes!  

It's not kimchee (that's fermentation).  It is a PICKLED item.... like dilly beans, pickled eggs at the bar, cukes (aka PICKLES) ....  using vinegar as the preservation method, not fermentation. \

edit- might need to add this to the Weights&Measures  general questions. 

edit-PPS-That is a very nice looking jar of goodies, bpiela!

Thanks for this explanation.  Very helpful.  I had asked because I had recently made some hot sauce with my nephew and he said something about garlic shortening the life of the hot sauce.  He brought all the stuff over to make this hot sauce.  It was mostly vinegar.  No garlic in the sauce.  I didn't get too deep with him on it although I think garlic is used in many hot sauces so it couldn't be 100% true.  Looks like I got a lot of reading to do.

frydad4 said:
I just made 2 batches of this. Amazing.
It was recommended to me by a Haitian friend of mine.
The idea is to keep replenishing the same jar as contents get low.
Have to keep everything under the vinegar. Enjoy.

Picklese
Pikliz - Vinaigre Piquant

by Mirta Yurnet-Thomas

Pikliz, or pickled scotch bonnet peppers, is used to give flavor to many dishes.
It is also placed on the table at mealtime so that you can sprinkle as much as you want over your food. Every Haitian kitchen has pikliz in the cupboard or refrigerator.

Yield: Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:

6 Scotch bonnet peppers
2 cups thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
½ cup thinly sliced or shredded carrots
¼ cup thinly sliced or shredded onion
¼ cup green peas (frozen)
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
8 to 10 peppercorns (optional)
3 cups vinegar
Method:
Snip off the stem of the peppers, cut each into 4 pieces, and keep the seeds.
Place hot peppers, cabbage, carrots, onion, green peas, cloves, salt, and peppercorns in a quart-size jar, then add the vinegar.
Close jar tightly and let sit at least 24-48 hours before using. Once you commence using it, store in the refrigerator.
It lasts for months.

Just started using my first batch - made as you described, but added garlic and red cabbage, and did not include peas.  My Scotch Bonnets are very hot, and 6 was perfect for a quart of pikliz.  Everyone who tried it loves it.  The only minor issue was that the red cabbage colors everything purple, much as adding beats to a recipe will do.  No problem though.

Pikliz is great for reviving those leftover roasted chickens - just pull off the remaining meat and dump it on top.

It also inspired me to create a recipe I had been thinking about for years: salmon tacos (recipe below).  The problem with my recipes is that 1) I don't measure anything :) 2) I use fresh ingredients from my garden that can be tough to find; e.g-ripe tomatillos - these are the yellowish sweet tomatillos that taste like apples.  I don't believe the ones in the store ever get this way.  An alternative would be to try tart green apples.

00000001-5.jpg

Ingredients
  • 3-4 tblspns Olive Oil
  • Fresh Salmon
  • Salt
  • Paprika
  • Cumin
  • Brown mustard
  • Flour (3-4 tblspoons)
  • 2 Eggs
  • Soft corn tortillas
  • Pikliz
  • plain Greek yogurt
  • fresh tomato sauce
  • ripe tomatillos

Preparation
  1. Marinade salmon with cumin, paprika and salt
  2. Bake salmon for approx 10 minutes at 350
  3. Beat eggs and flour until smooth
  4. Cut salmon into 3/4 inch strips, dip in batter
  5. Heat olive oil at medium high
  6. Place salmon strips in olive oil until colored, turn
  7. Place cooked salmon in plate with paper towels
  8. For sauce, mix 1/2 cup yogurt with 2 finely-diced tomatillos, 1/4 fresh lemon juice, 3 tblspns of brown mustard and 1/2 cup fresh tomato sauce
  9. Heat tortillas in oven
  10. Place one salmon strip in each tortilla, drizzle with sauce, add pikliz, and eat

ScottsBonnet said:

Just started using my first batch - made as you described, but added garlic and red cabbage, and did not include peas.  My Scotch Bonnets are very hot, and 6 was perfect for a quart of pikliz.  Everyone who tried it loves it.  The only minor issue was that the red cabbage colors everything purple, much as adding beats to a recipe will do.  No problem though.

Ha!  I added some red cabbage as well and it seemed to become pink and turn all of the other cabbage pink as well.  No problems!  It is all good.  I tried some today.  Good heat!  This is good stuff.

I love Picklese/Pikliz/Pikleze any way you spell it :P

I've done so many variations since I found Frydads post.
Green and Red cabbage always the base - Love the color. Bonus is when the jar is almost empty you can drop a few hard boiled eggs and let them pickle for as long as you can stand.
Carrots, peas, sweet onion, cloves, peppercorns - also part of the base. From here you can go anywhere. (go easy on the cloves, can be overpowering)

Garlic - Love garlic so I add at least 6 or 10 cloves in a quart jar.
Ginger - real thin, long slivers add a whole new dimension
Kohlrabi - Thin julienned slices, very nice
Cauliflower florets - Beautiful color, amazing flavor.
Bragg's ACV - My favorite vinegar for Pickleze. More depth than regular white or cider vinegar but use what you got, it's all good.
Sea salt - just a little to offset the tang of the vinegar.

Other ingredients I tried:
cucumbers - meh, gets too soggy
chickpeas - doesn't absorb any of the flavors
celery - absorbs well enough but loses crunch very quickly
bell peppers - not as good as I expected but not bad either

I made a jar following the instructions about a month ago. Kept it on the counter top for 2 days and then it ended up in the back of the fridge. Damn pickle gremlins... Anyway, I opened it today and it was really really good although I only used jalapeno peppers. Soooo, it was hard to open and when I was able to twist the lid, it had vacuum sealed and popped when I opened it as if I had water bathed it. I'm pretty sure I followed the directions in the OP. Is it possible for the jar (which was a sanitized by boiling water just to be safe and filled when the jar was room temperature) to form a seal like that? Again, the results were awesome so all is well. Things that make me go hmmmmm...

Back