• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Pickling Jalapino's

YEah i know......... its been asked before.......... Ahhhhhhh not another lighting thread!

BUt i was wondering if anyone knows the best way to preserve these as the tasty little rings you buy in jars to put on your Pizza/cheese and buickies/breakfast!

Im guessing a 50/50 Water/white vinigar mix but how do you treat them.......... do i just chop them and chuck them in of di i bring them to the boil first?

Any advice will be much apreciated........... i have lots on the way.

cheers

Knowing the fowl smell that comes from your arse, I would suggest you put the chillis in a bottle with some water then fart in it and put the lid on........

That should pickle anything.......:lol::lol::lol:

the longer you boil the peppers, the softer they will be because you are essentially cooking them...I found out that pressure canning them makes them very soft...hot water bath canning is what the "ball complete book of home preserving" recommends...

here is the recipe for hot pickled peppers out of it..makes 5 500ml jars...

1.5 L hot bananna peppers sliced
1 L sliced jalapenos
250 ml sliced serranos
6 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
3 cloves crushed garlic
1/8 tsp calcium chloride (pickle crisp) per 500 ml jar

1. prepare your waterbath canning equipment and sterilize jars
2. slice all peppers and put in a SS or glass bowl mixing well
3. combine water, vinegar, and garlic in a SS sauce pan and boil gently for 5 minutes, then discard garlic
4. pack peppers into canning jars with 1 cm headspace (space between top of peppers and the top of the jar)
5. put 1/8 tsp Calcium Chloride (stay chrisp) on top of the peppers
6. ladle hot pickling liquid over peppers in jars until all the peppers are under the liquid still leaving 1 cm headspace...
7. using a non metallic utensil, slide around the sides removing the air bubbles and adjust the headspace if necessary...
8. place prepared lids on top of jars and screw lids down until resistance is met
9. place jars in canner making sure all jars are covered with at least 2.5 cm water over the top of the jars...
10. Process in boiling liquid for 10 minutes
11. turn heat off, wait 5 minutes, then remove the jars from the canner, clean them up and they are ready to store...

if there are any jars that have lids that are not "sucked down", either eat within a week, or reprocess them...

I soak my peppers in a salt water brine overnight before pickiling to help keep them crisp, and then I pickle with a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar with some salt and some herbs/spices in a water bath. Also, if you are going to refrigerate your jars you can skip the water bath and the peppers won't get soft.

how long will they last while refrigerated Potawie?...long time until you open them?

These are my favorites to pickle haven't tried last years crop yet but my recipe is rather simple.

Prep all jars as washing them and makeing sure there is no chips in rim.
Then I take a 50/50 mixture of water and applecider vinegar (or white but I like the taste of apple)

Bring this solution to a rolling boil.
I wash (in cold water) all my chillis and place them in the jars
1 tablespoon of pickling salt/or regular salt
1/2 teaspoon of garlic chopped or more if like garlic

After all the jars are prep with the goodies pour the water/vinegar over the chillis, wipe the rim off and take lids that is sitting in HOT water and tighten on the jars just snug with a little more. Then take jars and turn upside down and place on counter if you don't have the rings tight enough they will tell you when you do this. Leave upside down for 30 minutes then flip back over and you should hear the lid pop if not then drain liquid and start all over again.

I even use old jelly jars without the jelly of course. Or the jars with the rubber lineing on top of lid and usually get two or three uses out of them.

Oh if you want you can even add califlower, carrots, brocolli, whole garlic, and olives to your mixture and let it set for at least 30 days , more the better. These have stayed good for me 6 months plus and seems to keep their crispness.

AlabamaJack said:
how long will they last while refrigerated Potawie?...long time until you open them?

I've had some last over a year after opening, but they usually get eaten sooner than that.

Some people like to add carrots and onions to jalapenos. I'm not big on that.

I did do some with whole garlic cloves that were good. The garlic cloves were yummy too!

I want to do some with olives, I had some spicy olives recently that were awesome!

Hey its been moved. Nice to be let known so i can find it again.

Anyway........... i pickled some today. made one jar.

I soaked them in a warm salt brine for a few hours and brought a 50/50 mix of water/apple cider vinigar to the boil. Chucked in the sliced peppers and a few garlic cloves and let them simmer for about 1 min. Removed from heat, spooned peppers into pre boiled hot jar ans topped up with liquid. Secured lid and let cool upside down.

The lid popped in as it should and they look just like the bought ones. Cant wait to get into them. They are lovely thick fleshed peppers. Not bad for hardware store plants!

Thanks for your kelp folks....... i will have jars of all sorts of things to nibble before long.

A bit pee'd off that my Ancho and Jalepino seeds didnt make it in past customs. I had giant hybrids, low heat ones for the wife, purple ones. Oh the posabilities.

Next year!

cheers

Tried my pickled chillis and they are great. Still crispy but soft. Perfect.

Moyboy and my mum and dad tried them amd all aggreed they were better than the bought ones.

Will be growing a few different Jals next year for some variety.

cheers

Back