• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

condiment Pico De Gallo/Salsa question

I have been wanting to make some salsa that mimic's a local Mexican restaurant.  So far all my attempts have been a "close but no cigar" kind of thing.  I have 6 pints in the HWB right now.  I followed the Ball Blue Book, "Zesty Salsa" recipe on page 82.  A couple of things have me asking questions though.  First, why boil the salsa mixture if you are going to put it in a HWB?  And second, what is a "Long green pepper"?  The only thing I did not do ingredient wise was add the "long green peppers" and the hot sauce.  Oh, and I cut back on the Cilantro a bit because my wife is not a big Cilantro fan.  Anyway, if anyone has any helpful tips I would really appreciate it.  

Tomorrow or the next say I am going to do a couple of quarts of mixed pickled veggies with Habanero's added in for a buddy of mine who LOVES hot stuff.  I could probably benefit from some tips there too if anyone has any they wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks in advance.

LD

Fresh pico is the only way to go.   I whip it up before the meal, set in fridge, then eat immediately with meal.  Be sure to squeeze some fresh lemon or limes into it for a kick up.

Canning is just that..canning.   I leave that to pickles,  jellies, sambas, sauces , and chutneys

Back