• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pics Pics of My Plants for this season

I finally found my digital camera!

The first 8 pictures are from peppers that I started form seeds collected from Open Pollinated Super Chile F1 Hybrids, which I believe makes them F2. I think there is a limit on linked images per post, so I'll post 4 here, then reply:

sup28.jpg

sup27.jpg

sup26.jpg

sup25.jpg

9 days later, there is mostly good news. The only bad news is that 1 Fatalli died and the other is not looking well. Everything else is growing well. Nothing is going into the ground until may 27th. Let me know if anything looks like I will need to put it in a bigger pot, before then. So far, I am only worried about 1 of the F2 Super Chile's.

Take a look:

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

I have a question for you dragon49. The first plants are Open Pollinated Super Chile F1 Hybrids. When you say open pollinated is that the name of the pepper or were they actually open pollinated? If they are open pollinated that would make the seeds F1 again. For an F1 to become an F2 doesn't the seed need to come from an isolated F1 pod?

If you plant seeds that are pure and the plant isn't isolated the the seeds you get from those pods could be crossed. If you grow them out and they don't have the same characteristics as the original plant then they are first time hybrids or F1. If you grow those seeds it's possible they became crossed again. If they are crossed and don't have all of the same characteristics as the F1 then it's another F1. If the plant/pods were isolated and self pollinated and the second year plant had the same characteristics then it would be called an F2.

I think.

Patrick,

I need to take university class on Pepper Breeding to understand all of this.

This is the situation:

Last season, I purchased plants called Super Chile's, and transplanted them in my garden. It is clear from pictures of similar plants on the internet, as well as seeds for sale, that these are Super Chile Hybrids, which makes them F1. They grew in the garden, and produced peppers. I am about to post 4 pics, and will continue the post with a reply. These are some pictures of the results:

img_0813.jpg

img_0812.jpg

img_0811.jpg

img_0804.jpg

I describe the peppers as "open pollinated," as I took no effort to isolate them from other peppers in my garden, and have no idea at all if they crossed. Until some poster informed me, I had not idea, that even if they did not cross, they would not breed true, and the offspring would not be like the parents. I was however, under the impression, that If they did not cross, they would be called F2. If they did cross, I have no idea what they would be called. I probably can't be certain from the offspring, whether they crossed or not, although, I know what other peppers grew in my garden.

In any event, this is fun, and I'll be sure to post pics, when the peppers emerge.

Don't feel alone bro, I've been doing this for six or seven years and it still confuses the heck out of me.

I am confused about the person who told you that a plant would not breed true even if it wasn't crossed though. If a hybrid grows and the seeds from that plant grow another plant that has the exact same characteristics as the original one obviously grew true. What the heck else would you call it?

I'm still trying to find a simple way to explain F1 and F2 and so on.

I am not trying to start a fight between members, but am answering your question"

"I am confused about the person who told you that a plant would not breed true even if it wasn't crossed though..."

I started this thread:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20959-origin-of-super-chile-hybrids/page__p__438175

POTAWIE stated:

"Super chili is a hybrid so the seeds you saved will not grow true."

Don't feel alone bro, I've been doing this for six or seven years and it still confuses the heck out of me.

I am confused about the person who told you that a plant would not breed true even if it wasn't crossed though. If a hybrid grows and the seeds from that plant grow another plant that has the exact same characteristics as the original one obviously grew true. What the heck else would you call it?

I'm still trying to find a simple way to explain F1 and F2 and so on.

Back