• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pinching Buds

Here's some of my Annums (NuMex 6-4 and Jalmundo) that are starting to get some buds, and was just wondering how long to wait to pinch them off.

15e74u0.jpg

rm8sjp.jpg

I'm potting up the majority of the rest of my plants up to the beer cups this afternoon. I wish I had room for a month or so to put them into bigger pots before the 5 gal. These annums really took off when I potted them up.

Those plants look great LC, I am sure there are a hundred different opinions on when or whether to pinch em.
I dont pinch mine and I have never had a problem, I dont see any difference in plant size or production.
alot of times once I plant out those flowers will drop anyway, Nice work!

Kevin

Those plants look great LC, I am sure there are a hundred different opinions on when or whether to pinch em.
I dont pinch mine and I have never had a problem, I dont see any difference in plant size or production.
alot of times once I plant out those flowers will drop anyway, Nice work!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I'm tickled shitless with how plants are coming out as a first time grower and it's all attributed to the great folks and their help here.

Squeeze the Sharman. . . pinch the Pillsbury Doughboy. . . don't pinch the buds.

See what could happen!

Point taken RF that's pretty fricken cute.

Very nice logchief. My annums are also blooming. Your setup look very similar to mine :D I just put my larger plants outside under shade as its day 1 of hardening.

Very Nice Plants ace.

My view differs from most, you can find it here. Look the post with a pic and those are only what is left over after 3 to 5 pickings they were hung just before the frost.
When I wrote that it never dawned on me for a second that you won't. Over stepped my bound and apologize.

On the other hand if you have never tried it how could you possibly know the difference?

This is one of the great things about this forum, I get to read everyone’s stories and opinions and decide for myself.

Keep it Hot, SC

"""""""Do not condemn the opinion of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong""""""" LOL

They're still in cups? You gotta pinch IMO. I would pinch until they are well established in their final location outside. Anything else saps the energy the plant needs to grow. Patience will pay off in the long run, bigger plants make more pods.

They're still in cups? You gotta pinch IMO. I would pinch until they are well established in their final location outside. Anything else saps the energy the plant needs to grow. Patience will pay off in the long run, bigger plants make more pods.

Thanks BigT, pinching is what I recall a bunch of folks saying around here last season, but I didn't grow from seed then. They're still in cups because I'm traveling a lot right now and havn't had time to harden them off properly. Gonna start that this weekend, maybe pot up the biggest ones to #1 pots.

I wouldn't worry about pinching buds per se, as most of them will drop naturally being indoors. If any of them start to form a pod, pinch that off until the plant gets to a more mature size.

I like to especially pinch large podded annuum buds and I do it and for several months. Otherwise I usually end up with mini plants growing only a few peppers.

This chimayo had 4 or 5 large pods growing on it but the plant never got much bigger than in the pic. Ones that I pinched grew much bigger and were a lot more productive with multiple flushes of pods.
445030295d8a1340be7gv9.jpg

I pinch SOME off. I go by this pic...
16.gif

I found this pic in a pepper grow guide by some commercial greenhouse in Florida. Its worked well for me. Ive never done an experiment on pinching (pruning) vs let it be, but ive had great results with this method.

Don't pinch off if your not doing the dutch "V' trellising(2 main stems) system or the spanish "4" trellising system(4 main stems). There is a reason why we commercial growers pinch off and it's to help the indeterminate pattern of growth, that's been suppported vertically with twines in the greehouses that you are going to have a production from 8 to 10 months...

Log don't pinch off...

Back