• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PJ's 2012 Glog with a Kaleidoscope of Colored Peppers

This is my second season growing superhots. I decided to branch out and grow some tasty peppers that others will enjoy. I've been collecting and buying seeds busily!

So i decided to start my seeds early-mid january since last frost date last year was in early april. Here is my list. Some i bought, some i got for free from the amazing THP members! Thanks again all,

seedlist2012.jpg

I'll be germinating my seeds in cups. I had great success last year using this method. Once they sprout, i'll move them to my 72 plug seed tray. I'm using gardener's supply germinating mix. It has very fine peat, vermiculite, and trace minerals and is pH balanced. Once they get their true leaves, i'll move them to 3.5x5 inch pots (P86D) and 1 pint root pouches (just to experiment). After that they will go into their 5, 7, 10 gallon root pouches and plastic nursery pots.

I started the kashmiri seeds 1 weeks ago to see if the dried pods' seeds i got from UK were viable. They were! So these were the first to go into the 72 plug tray.

I have some plants in the garage under flourscents that are overwintering since november. They are brain strain, red bhut jolokia and chocolate bhut, red and yellow 7pods, fatalli, and a bhut-habanero hybrid. Also some annums like serrano and kung pao just to see if it works
icon_mrgreen.gif

I dedicated one room in the house as my "plant room". Pretty bare bone, its a 48 inch wide, 7 foot tall steel rack. 2 of the shelves each have 4 T12 GE aquarium and plant flourscent bulbs. I have a heat mat where they cups are sitting on to help in the germination.

The Plant Room
P1020660.jpg

The Seeds in their cups
P1020667.jpg

The Kashmiri Mirch in their 72 plug tray, i'm using little cups as a "dome" to keep humidity in. Using foil to cover the other plugs so water doesn't just evaporate away making the germinating mix really dry and also keeps it from growing algae.
P1020666.jpg

Lets see how it goes! Wish me luck!

Straight BX is really good. I water when the containers become really light. I fill about 3 liters for each 1020 tray and if there is any excess water, i take it out. I leave it for a 5-6 days and i'm good. I think the heat in the room also help evaporate the extra vapor. I'm using 3 fixtures with two T12 bulbs each which probably generates some heat to help in the drying of the soil.

I'm mixing 3cf of vermiculite per 7cf bale of promix. I think it should be enough. I'll have run my fingers into the soil and see. If its not enough, i'll add more to make sure drainage is not an issue.

Picture perfect PJ! Where did you get the extra deep square pots? I've been looking around for a good deal on those. Thanks.

Picture perfect PJ! Where did you get the extra deep square pots? I've been looking around for a good deal on those. Thanks.

I got them from growerssolution. The 100 pack. Call them up and see if they can match the price on ebay, they did for me. Really nice folk. Pots are p86d.

+1 on growersoultion. Here is the link. Totally friendly and willing to work with you.

http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/CTGY/roundgreenhousepots

Thanks all, just an update. Plants were getting more crowded for comfort. Each pots leaves are overlapping the others. So I moved two of my fixtures to the 3rd level rack and I spaced out my bigger plants like so:
spacing.jpg

Here is the new layout now:
P1020771.jpg

The annums really wanna go outside, not sure what to do. Still have a month+ left to go.

On a cool note, i went the Whole Foods Market, and go some orange peppadews just so i can get some seed. Eh, what the heck i said to my self. I collected about 12 seeds. I thought, this time, i'll do scarification on them, wouldn't hurt, since the last time i tried i got nothing after 6 weeks of germination. So i dunked the seeds in hydrogen peroxide and cut them up realll good :D And i wake up this morning and guess what i saw:

P1020770.jpg

WHUUUUU, 5 seeds germinated in 1 day ... i guess they go their germination cycle in that sweet brine peppadews usually are stored in. Woot. I put 4 of the seeds in plugs. So lets see how that goes.

Damn PJ...Those Annuums are trying to take over the world! I would kill them all and start over....orrrrr you could cut them back and try to start some clones....ooooor you could get a bigger shelf and more light! Sugarland can't be a month from plant out?!?!? If you would stop doing such a damn fine job of taking care of them...maybe they wouldn't be so big! LOL

Nice Job!
Shane

Another update, Everything is doing great, Galapagoense is doing well too:
P1020772.jpg

Kashmiri Mirch is pumping some nice large flowers:
P1020774.jpg

Good work, pj - really nice plants. Flowering! Way cool.
Also impressed with the scarification thing - looks like a
great technique.

Great video( love the high def) and super healthy plants. Can't wait to see them sitting in the Texas sun !

Jamie

That was well worth the 4 page read PJ! Great pictures and Great video, your shelving setup is exactly what I wanted to do but didn't have room for. Way to make me jealous! lol. Nice foot tall annums ya got there as well. good luck with finding a spot for those during the next month.. Maybe if ya have a nice sunny window or sliding glass door you could harden them off a bit to sunlight indoors and let em hang out there if they get too big.. I think Patrick did that last year. Anyway. Great glog, my best of luck to you, should be fun seeing those take off outside.. Your gonna have some monsters!

Brandon

Just some updates, annums are getting real big, lots of flowers, i'm leaving them on for now so it can slow their growth until they go outside. Some of them have pods!

Bunch of c. chinese on 2nd rack
P1020775.jpg

C. Galapogoense
P1020778.jpg

Kashmiri Mirch pods
P1020779.jpg

Round Pepperonicini pod, the white stuff on that leaf is pollen :D
P1020780.jpg

Mostly C. Annums in lower rack. i lowered the bottom rack even more and raised the lights
P1020781.jpg

Late starts, C. Galagapoense, Serrano Huasteco, 7pod primo, siling labuyo from bagiou, phillipines. The seedlings all the way to the back are tomatoes and basil starts.
P1020783.jpg

I'm hoping to start mixing my soils this weekend and start setting up the infrastructure. Lets see how it goes!

I am trying to understand. Did you say that the 4 bales of Pro-Mix is how much it will take for you pot up all of your plants for once they are outside? Will you keep all of your plants in containers? Did you get the Pro-Mix locally and how much did you pay for it where you are?

One more question for the people that have ordered stuff from Growers Solution. What did your order consist of and how much did you pay for shipping? I have gone to their website and their shipping seems to awfully expensive.

I am trying to understand. Did you say that the 4 bales of Pro-Mix is how much it will take for you pot up all of your plants for once they are outside? Will you keep all of your plants in containers? Did you get the Pro-Mix locally and how much did you pay for it where you are?

One more question for the people that have ordered stuff from Growers Solution. What did your order consist of and how much did you pay for shipping? I have gone to their website and their shipping seems to awfully expensive.

Yes, 4 bales, but im also adding compost and vermiculite. I got them from texas hydroponics for 35 bux each. For grower solution, i got 100 - 3.5x5 inch pots and 6 - 1020 trays. It was 32 bux, 12 bux shipping.

Yes, 4 bales, but im also adding compost and vermiculite. I got them from texas hydroponics for 35 bux each. For grower solution, i got 100 - 3.5x5 inch pots and 6 - 1020 trays. It was 32 bux, 12 bux shipping.

That's a pretty good price on the Pro-mix. The cheapest I have found it locally is $54 a bale. How many plants do you think you will have in 5 gallon containers once moved outside?

Back