• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PJ's 2012 Glog with a Kaleidoscope of Colored Peppers

This is my second season growing superhots. I decided to branch out and grow some tasty peppers that others will enjoy. I've been collecting and buying seeds busily!

So i decided to start my seeds early-mid january since last frost date last year was in early april. Here is my list. Some i bought, some i got for free from the amazing THP members! Thanks again all,

seedlist2012.jpg

I'll be germinating my seeds in cups. I had great success last year using this method. Once they sprout, i'll move them to my 72 plug seed tray. I'm using gardener's supply germinating mix. It has very fine peat, vermiculite, and trace minerals and is pH balanced. Once they get their true leaves, i'll move them to 3.5x5 inch pots (P86D) and 1 pint root pouches (just to experiment). After that they will go into their 5, 7, 10 gallon root pouches and plastic nursery pots.

I started the kashmiri seeds 1 weeks ago to see if the dried pods' seeds i got from UK were viable. They were! So these were the first to go into the 72 plug tray.

I have some plants in the garage under flourscents that are overwintering since november. They are brain strain, red bhut jolokia and chocolate bhut, red and yellow 7pods, fatalli, and a bhut-habanero hybrid. Also some annums like serrano and kung pao just to see if it works
icon_mrgreen.gif

I dedicated one room in the house as my "plant room". Pretty bare bone, its a 48 inch wide, 7 foot tall steel rack. 2 of the shelves each have 4 T12 GE aquarium and plant flourscent bulbs. I have a heat mat where they cups are sitting on to help in the germination.

The Plant Room
P1020660.jpg

The Seeds in their cups
P1020667.jpg

The Kashmiri Mirch in their 72 plug tray, i'm using little cups as a "dome" to keep humidity in. Using foil to cover the other plugs so water doesn't just evaporate away making the germinating mix really dry and also keeps it from growing algae.
P1020666.jpg

Lets see how it goes! Wish me luck!

Thanks for the tip on the fan starting to do it today with the young one hopefully their stems grow as thick as that by that stage I am using a computer fan that jerryrig to a 12 volt adaptor. Your plants look great as usual.

Thanks, since i have the front open, i use a large fan on a timer which blows from 10 feet away. That way the wind hits the bottom and top rack.

Dang, that all looks so good. I see you went to the 4-trays wide on the shelf and allowed a little room for the light gap. I'll be doin' the same at the next stage.

Those plugs came out very solid. Any tips (moisture level, tools, swearing, etc) to recommend? Looks like you used a cell to act as a mold for the incoming plugs. Nice. I'm also using ProMix BX for the pot-up.

I used scissors to cut each plug or two sets of plugs. I turned them upside down, and squished the end and massasged the plug and tapped constantly until it popped out. The plugs should not be dry, nor just fresh watered, wait a few days after watering.

The holes were made by digging my thumb into the pot and rotating/pressing until i made the hole deep and wide enough to fit the plug. The mix that is raised from this goes back ontop of the seedling. Hope this makes sense.

Promix is awesome, very airy and light. Its soiless so i dont have to worry about bugs and gnats.

Feb 9th, 2012 update, went to water the plants with a little nutes. Just some pics of progress

C. Galapagoense seedling, 6 weeks germinating with nothing, after scarification, the next day it germinated!
P1020722.jpg

Some C. Chinese, can you see the Cheiro Roxa?
P1020723.jpg

Cheiro Roxa looks amazing
P1020724.jpg

Another tray of C. Chinese
P1020727.jpg

Purple Bhut
P1020728.jpg

One serrano huasteco that i put for germination came out, still waiting for the other serrano varieties!

Signing off!

What do you use to prune you plants for overwintering? I use a nice sharp pair of pruning shears but they seem to damage the plants and kill them. Any suggestions?

What do you use to prune you plants for overwintering? I use a nice sharp pair of pruning shears but they seem to damage the plants and kill them. Any suggestions?

I use this: Fiskars Pruner, and just repotted in fresh soil. My annums died, probably because i was not watering that often or it got too cold in the garage. Most of my C. Chinese overwinters are doing fine.

Just an update, some of my annums are getting too big, too fast! I'll need to get bamboo skewers and tie them up.

Zapotec Jalapeno from Peppermania - 13 inches including pot, or 9 inches from bottom of stem to top.
P1020730.jpg

Kashmiri Mirch is the tallest. The leaves are kind of curling. Not sure why, maybe it needs some calmag? It is topping 16 inches in pot, 12 inches from stem.
P1020731.jpg

The kashmiri mirch already has flower buds, probably will pinch them.
P1020732.jpg

Due to the taller ones, i had to raise the lights, and seperate the talls from the shorts. The shortest ones on the right have some books propping them up.
P1020734.jpg

Lots of new growth, things are getting crowded. Annums are getting too big. Next year, i will start my annums later than chinese. Lesson learned!

Anyways, decided to take some mug shots of my pepper plants that are bigger. These are the annums.

Zapotec Jalapeno
P1020735.jpg

Serrano del Sol
P1020736.jpg

Kashmiri Mirch, lots of leaf curl. may a calmag defeciency?
P1020737.jpg

Siling Labuyo
P1020739.jpg

Kung Pao
P1020740.jpg

Peppercinio Round
P1020741.jpg

Piquillo
P1020742.jpg

Labuya
P1020743.jpg

Indian Jawala
P1020745.jpg

If someone replies back, i can pics of C. Chinese :)

Here you go! These are awesome plants -

Thanks, here are the supers, well mostly, some - not so much :D

Bishops Crown
P1020744.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Foodarama
P1020746.jpg

Cheiro Roxa
P1020747.jpg

Pink Habanero
P1020748.jpg

Yellow Scotch Bonnet (papa joes mkt)
P1020749.jpg

Aji Limon
P1020750.jpg

Peppadew
P1020751.jpg

White Habanero
P1020752.jpg

Top Shelf, right most Tray of C. Chinese
P1020753.jpg

Top Shelf, 2nd to right Tray of C. Chinese.
P1020755.jpg

Its about time PJ! I waited a whole 5 minutes for that.

But, everything is looking really good. Huge leaves and monster annums!

Cheiro Roxa looks cool as hell. You ever think of trying for two seasons in one down there? Sow seeds early for spring and then sow more mid summer for later in the year. I wonder if it is possible?

2/16/2012 update

Tray full of c. chinese, getting real big leaves
P1020759.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Yellow - chad s - this one is getting really big
P1020760.jpg

Another tray
P1020762.jpg

Cheiro Roxa getting bigger - real pretty
P1020763.jpg

Another tray - can u see the purple bhuts?
P1020765.jpg

Another tray
P1020766.jpg

Another tray
P1020767.jpg

Really big annums are very thirsty, getting ready for a drink
P1020768.jpg

All done drinking their water/nutes
P1020769.jpg

I decided to bite the bullet and buy some PROMIX BX bales and 2 x 20lb-bags of epsoma tomato-tone. I needed 4 bales to pot up all my plants. Since each bale expands to 7cf, here is the ratios per bale for my mix.
  • 3.8cf compressed promix bx (expands to 7cf) - 54% of the whole mix
  • 1.5 cf bag of mushroom compost - 11.5% of the whole mix
  • 1.5 cf bag of black kow compost - 11.5% of the whole mix
  • 3 cf of vermiculite - 23% of the whole mix
  • espoma tomato-tone recommended amount per pot
Vermiculite will make the mix nice and airy, and allow for drainage since BX is pretty dense with peat and adding compost will not help.

I might also get some worm castings in there, depends on how much they go for.

Your plants are huge and healthy. Do you have experience with espoma products? Curious about them. All I see around me is 4# sacks.

I don't have any experience with espoma, but if you search on the site, you will see lots of good recommendations. Cappy recommends them as he uses them with his plants and his plants area HUGE!

I have some tomato tone, soil loosener, and soil acidifer and they all worked pretty well. How do you like the straight BX inside? I used it outside in pots last year and had a ton of drainage issues. This year I mixed some pearlite into it for the few (like 9) seedlings I potted up. Do you add anything or just go straight, and if so, how is the drainage indoors?

Back