• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground plant containers in the ground

I normally plant in containers as the soil here in South Florida is very sandy. This year I've made many changes since I joined THP.
I am curious if anyone has put the containers in the ground flush with the soil verses just resting on the soil. I normally just rest the peppers
on the soil and the roots eventually go through into the ground.
I am asking as the heat here could dry out these black pots faster and could cause watering issues but I am not sure.

Last year I cut the bottoms off many small quart containers and planted those flush with the soil line. It made it much easier to water directly to the plants when they were still small and easier to keep bugs off them, slugs etc.

Sure, you can place a container in the ground and the place the identical same size planted container inside. It makes it essy to just lift the pot out and move it else where. Out of the sun or back to the sun. Sure it may not work with tree size plants!...........lol
But that's how I do it with some of the viney Herbs which can get invasive in the garden or some of the perennials, to keep them at bay with their height or to prevent them from multiplying. It also works well in an herb garden, being able to lift out the herbs and trim the plant........cuttings for the kitchen of course...

Greg

Other than watering issues, how would it affect plant growth for hot peppers if planted flush with the soil? Would production be better?

Production will always be better if the roots have room to grow. Were you thinking of small ornamentals, or large super-hots. A modest size of nursery container would be 7 gal. Bigger pot better plant...

Greg

If your plants are happy, you will keep the roots from baking in the sun by cooling the pots in the ground. You'll need more drainage in and under the pot, unless its sandy already. Gravel in the planting hole under the container would help. Unless your thinking on taking the pots out, when we get those 3 days in a row of saturating rains...

Greg

coir containers come in many sizes, that could be an option thus eliminating the black plastic pot.

i have started putting my plants into 3 & 4 inch coir containers, then when i pot up into my plastic containers, i just use scissors to make rips in the coir pot and put it directly into the plastic pot and pack loose soil around the coir.

don't forget to mulch to help retain that all important moisture. good luck.

i purposly dig the soil up an loosen it under my pots right at the beginning this seems to work too

thanks your friend Joe

I use global buckets and put one in the ground as an experiment. The plant did grow better. It is probably the best way to keep the roots cooler. The ground collapsed on the bucket and I had to dig it out. That was annoying.

Back