• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant disease help MY Whole Garden is sick!!!

Hi,

I have about 15 kinds of pepper plants that I grow on my balcony terraced beyond the railing.
I woke up today and all of my peppers are sick. Leaves on almost every plant have grave spots, some have the spots that have made it trough the leaf and you can see through it. 
Any help or recommendations would be much appreciate it. 

thanks zach.

I am trying to post a picture. 

Did you water or foliar feed the night/day before? Looks like sunburn after watering to me. The fact that they all look this way together simultaneously suggests it as well.

looks like it could be fusarium or verticillium wilt/rot:  http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3122.html

This is usually induced by over-watering.  In the pictures you proveded the soil looks very wet and indeed there is actually water stanidng on the leaves.  This could indicate another possible cause of the symptoms shown in the pictures... that is sun damage due to the lensing effect water droplets provide.  If your plants get wet during the day... and then are exposed to full sun, the water droplets on the leaves focus the sunlight into a concentrated beam that will literally burn holes in your plants.  This condition looks very very similar to the pathogen induced spots.

If your plants are in dire need of water during the extreme heat of the day... always make sure to water the soil and avoid letting water get on the plant.  I always water in the evening just before the sun goes down... this way, I can just spray the entire garden easily.  Its also best to water in the evening for the purpose fo conservation.  When you water during the day you will have a far greater percentage of it evaporate than if you water in the evening.  The soil will have all night to soak up the goodness...... Also, if one is foliar feeding, plants open their stomatae at night and close them during the day... so that foliar feeding during the day is vastly less efficient than when performed in the evening or very early morning hours.

The dumbest thing ever is when you are driving in the midwest through hundreds of acres of farm land and see those huge irrigator systems they have on rolling trusses that spray a fine mist over the crops....  when they are turned on during the day, I guarantee you like 60 percent of that water is evaporating into the atmosphere before it touches the ground.... not to mention the sun damage due to lensing.  Totally herp derp ;-/        They would do well to run them at night.... (most of the farmers are probb aware of this... but I have seen way too many of those running in 90+ degree, sunny weather)

Go to your picture here http://postimg.org/image/8pyqq7gmr/ then right click on it and pick "view Image" now the address to your picture has changed to http://s21.postimg.org/x6gwkohdj/IMG_20130721_124218_570.jpg.

So now when posting the picture you want use the "view Image" address and just click on the "Image" button when posting a picture here at the THP and paste that link.

And.....

IMG_20130721_124218_570.jpg

Balduvian said:
looks like watering mid day and the water acted as magnifying glass and burnt your plants
I may be wrong, but after many years i've yet to see plain water do what i see in the pictures. I understand the water droplet magnification thing, but it's kinda rare in real life.

My guess is either some rare, quick acting disease, which i sorta doubt, or overspray / mist droplets that somebody sprayed (high strength fert, cleaning soultions, etc etc etc)

Does anyone here go out and wipe off their leaves after a summer rain shower, so they don't get this magnification thingy burning?

The leaves were wet because i had just watered the plants. I watered the plant yesterday in the morning and it was raining/ overcast all day yesterday, so im not sure if there was enough sun to cause the water on the leaves to cause the burns.

Is there any recommendations that I should do to the plants to help some survive. 

I would say you should just let them dry out a little more.  You say that it had been raining... has it been raining alot recently?  have you been watering them alot?  And did you give them any nutrients recently?

Certain types of fert burn engender those tissue scars as well.

Also.... look for these dudes... go to google and paste this "four-lined plant bug damage".... look at images and check some sites.  Their damage looks similar to waht you have.

I had problems with those little poopers earlier in the year.... I killed them by hand... and eventually they went away.

Lookie what I found:   http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28764-frustratedwhat-the-heck-is-this/

ehhh?!

Back