• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant droops when outside

Every time I put this plant outside it starts to droop like it's going to die but when I move it indoors for a few days, it'll perk back up like it never drooped in the first place. I gave it a little bit of water just now to see if it would pick up. 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wow, that plant doesn't look happy.  I don't think it is but it almost looks like damping off, how does the stem look where it meets the soil? 

Some are more sensitive to the heat than others.  Peppers especially don't like hot roots.  I'm thinking that ATV tire of a pot you got there heats up pretty good with all that black surface area.  I'd definitely give it shade.  My plants in broken sun all day do much better than those that spend most of the day in direct sunlight.

Good luck!
:)

PS- What is the container? 

When moving plants from indoors to outdoors they require "hardening off" which is a process of slowly exposing the plant to its new conditions, giving it time to adapt. Basically the process is this:

Day one you set the plant outside in the shade with no sun, bring it in if it wilts.
Day 2 you give it sun til it wilts, then move it back in the shade.
Day 3 it should tolerate a bit more sun, then back into the shade.

Repeat this process as long as necessary until the plant can tolerate full sun without wilting. Usually takes about a week.

Do you have to harden off the plant each time you move it? We had a week where it was really bad rain so I brought it indoors. 

I will try hardening it off again, btw the pot is a superoots airpot.

If it has been properly hardened off it just needs more shade. Id give it more am sun than pm sun also
ghostmp said:
Do you have to harden off the plant each time you move it? We had a week where it was really bad rain so I brought it indoors. 

The plant needs to adapt to being outside again. Just give it am sun and the proper amount of shade when it begins to wilt if it does nit to be watered. The air pots and root pouches need a little extra watering due to the air drying out the soil faster then a regular plastic pot.

ghostmp said:

It depends on how long the plant is kept inside. It takes about a week to fully harden off so I figure it probably takes about a week indoors to reverse the process. I know for a fact that if you keep a plant indoors long enough it will need to be hardened off again, I just do not know how long you can keep it indoors before it is required. 

Moved it indoors, I'll try the hardening off process once again

You're trying too hard.  Put the plant outside in the shade, out of the direct sun.  With your heat, the plant may wilt during the day and perk up in the cooler night.  Water completely until you see runoff.  Pour out the water after 15 minutes and keep in the shade for a full week.  Don't water again if the pot feels full.  Check in 3-4 days.  Then do what megahot said. 

Thanks. This is exactly what I did and it seems to be doing better!
catherinew said:
Moved it indoors, I'll try the hardening off process once again

You're trying too hard.  Put the plant outside in the shade, out of the direct sun.  With your heat, the plant may wilt during the day and perk up in the cooler night.  Water completely until you see runoff.  Pour out the water after 15 minutes and keep in the shade for a full week.  Don't water again if the pot feels full.  Check in 3-4 days.  Then do what megahot said. 

Back