• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Plant isolation techniques to prevent open hybrids

I have a bunch of different syrains right next to eachother. All are true to thier seed
But the seeds from those plants have a very good chance of being cross pollinated and not coming true to type.

Selling that seed as a specific variety is sketchy at best. You have no idea of the genetics of the seeds growing in those pods on your plants.
+1 solid advice, it's either that or only grow one variety per season which I've done in the past but can be boring unless you love that one pepper :rolleyes: You'd also need to know that none of your close neighbors are growing other varieties as well ...

ok so if you place this netting over the entire plant before the flowers open, do you need to hand pollinate or shake the plant to assist in pollinating these flowers.

Just came across this from another thread that linked it. I have been doing this for a good while. Fabric stores are where you need to go. I have been experimenting with color(reflected light is low but still there). White is good, but I have found a color can help IMO. I have also tried blue and red. This past season I did 2 Morouga scorpions in 5 gallon buckets. When it came time to isolate I covered one in red and one in blue. I got twice as many pods off the one covered in red. I have since tossed the bags I made with blue and only have 1 white and the rest are red.

Now that is some good, real world experience info. Thanks Ill definately keep that in mind.

ok so if you place this netting over the entire plant before the flowers open, do you need to hand pollinate or shake the plant to assist in pollinating these flowers.

I usually wait until some flowering starts then take the time to remove all open flowers and cover. Then I tie around the top of the bucket to secure the netting and let them go. On a nice warm day if I think about it I will tap the bucket with my foot(read:kick but no field goals) while watering through the netting. They will drop flowers, but even my in-grounds do that. Once I can see several pods and enough that I am happy I remove the netting and mark those pods.

Marking: Cut a drinking straw in [sup]1[/sup]/[sub]4[/sub] inch lengths and then slice lengthwise. I just slide the short lengths onto my scissors and snip. Then simply pull open and put on the stem right above the pod's cap. Unlike yarn, it won't restrict growth and I have had major winds not take them off.

You shouldn't need to but it may help dislodge and distribute the pollen and increase fruit set. Late mornings seem to be the best time for "gentile agitation".

If you don't have many insects netting isn't going to actually stop airborne pollen. So in my opinion unless you have non porous isolation material Its a waste of time excepting stopping flying insects. I have yet to have a cross from saved seed and my plants have little to none space between them. I also have hardly any flying pollinating insects around my house which probably also helps.

1.5 miles (I think is the magic number) space between capsicum species before they are to be considered isolated unless using cloches etc to isolate plants

What's the procedure if I DO want to make a hybrid?

I.e if I wanna make a ghost x butch T next year?

Is it something fiddly like remove the stamen on a host plant and use pollen from another to rub the stigma?

Ok I have ants crawling into my flowers and I'm pretty sure they are doing a lot of pollinating. No aphids by the way, they must be nice ants :)

These plants are in a garden bed not pots, and so if I wanted to cover the whole plant with fabric then I guess I'd have to secure it around the base of the main stem?

It might be easier to put smaller bags around branches.

I have lots of different plants close together so I might give this a go.

What size organza bags mentioned in the first post does anyone use?

I'm amending this first post to include the techniques as we've discussed in the thread below:

Plant/Flower Isolation techniques.
  • Distance Isolation : seperating plants by a significant distance to avoid crossing. This is difficult to do for most home/hobby growers the recommended distance is 1/2 mile or more between plants.
  • Caging isolation: create a mesh cage around the plant or individual flowers/branches using Tulle fabric or Organza bags. This is probably the most popular method, and is used by commercial seed banks such as Chili Pepper Institute (see below).

_6050179.JPG
  • Flower sealing: use gel caps (vitamin type) or elmers glue to seal the flowers after they are full size but before they open. The glue or caps pop or fall off when the pod develops. People have reported mixed results with these methods, such as bud drop and problems with rain melting gel caps, or washing off the glue. YMMV.
sizecaps.jpg

I wrote to the NMSU Chile Pepper Institute and asked what procedures they follow. They replied that they use the caging method and sent me this article which details their method of isolation.​

The material in the picture looks like Tyvek , and nothing like what i have just googled on Tulle fabric... Its different no? Perhaps it could work better as the Tulle fabric holes look a bit large and could have some wind pollenation issues, can anyone confirm?

the picture looks like organza. Tulle seems to have much smaller holes. Try Hobby Lobby for a source. It is fun when the clerk asks if you are making a wedding dress, and you blush, grin, and say loud enough for all the ladies to hear, "no, it is for my peppers."

:rofl: or ask for 10 yards of red while in your garden clothes(read: dirty) and after "the look" get asked if you are make a tutu. "No it is for isolation" requires explanation or a hasty exit. lol

Guys sorry for this stupid question ...
I planted 26 plants, and 7 different kinds. They will be next to eachother.

The only danger is that the seeds may be hybrid ?
( And my peppers will still be normal right ? )

And if so, i will have to start from 'real/true' seeds from the store again next year ?

Laphroaig said:
Guys sorry for this stupid question ...
I planted 26 plants, and 7 different kinds. They will be next to eachother.

The only danger is that the seeds may be hybrid ?
( And my peppers will still be normal right ? )

And if so, i will have to start from 'real/true' seeds from the store again next year ?
Thats exactly right... but if you hand pollinate a couple of flowers on each plant from another flower on the same plant and then mark that pod, you can simply save seeds from those pods and know they are pure

Trippa said:
Thats exactly right... but if you hand pollinate a couple of flowers on each plant from another flower on the same plant and then mark that pod, you can simply save seeds from those pods and know they are pure
Oh yeah, that is awesome advice ! Thank you

Back