• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plant size

Hey everybody!

So I am trying to work through some issues regarding where I am going to grow everything this year.

I have limited indoor area but want to try and grow the smaller stuff inside.

From the following list, can you folks provide any input regarding plant size, both big and small...

Peach Ghost Scorp.
Douglah
7 pot Orange
7 pot Burgundy
Red Bhut
Yellow Bhut
Red Savina
Scotch Bonnet
Choc. Hab
Red Congo
Spicy Mustard Hab
Tobago Brown
Cayenne
Tabasco
Chocolate Finger
Aji Lemon
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Datil

You can try to control size by keeping them limited by pot size (or you can keep cutting them back I guess). From my experience the Chinenses like to grow... All my plants are from last year and I have a few that are ~3-4' tall and 6-7' wide even though they're in 4-5.25 gallon pots. They are yellow 7 pod, red scotch bonnet and chocolate habanero. Chinenses are at least pretty good at carrying their own weight. Stuff like your Ajis are more likely to act almost like a vine, especially in a small pot. At least that's what my Lemons did when I didn't pot them up.

Most of what you have on that list looks like large plants to me. Not sure about some of the stuff on the lower half.

BTW, don't trust the sizes dealers write in their product descriptions. With no exception all my plants have grown larger than they were "supposed" to. All the way down to my Tiny Tim cherry tomato that grew past double that height the first season. All regular window growing.

Excessive nitrogen will do that to you.

True, but so will giving the plant great growing conditions and then you get the excessive amount of pods to go along with the extra height. Listed heights should be a bare minimum for plant growth.

I've had Aji Limon and cayennes (some sort of "long thick" version) produce well as small plants in 1-gallon pots. I'd guess that tabascos might do well too.

Aji Amarillo, forget it---they want to grow big enough to destroy Tokyo! They also seem to like cool late-season weather (mine all survived a winter that went down to 25 F last year) and might do well outdoors in the PDX climate for that reason.

-NT

They will grow as big as you feed and allow them to. Well except for the 7 pots. They all grow to a uniform height and width despite growing conditions and fertilizing routines. The red and brown ones will get 4'9" tall by 4' 4" tall. The yellow ones however tend to be slightly taller but not quite as wide as the red and brown ones. They get to just short of 5' tall. Some people say 5' but they're just being lazy or are reading the measuring device as an angle below the actual height. You know if you look at something that you're measuring from below it always looks like it's taller than it actually is. When I measure my son I have that issue because he's 6'5" now and I'm only 6'4". I know it's only an inch but my eyes are another five or six inches lower so that adds to the problem too. Hard to believe the kid is 6'5" you know? Heck his mom is only about 5'7" so I have no idea how he got that tall. Anyway back to the yellow 7 pots. Like I said they get to just short of 5' tall but they're not quite as wide as the others staying exactly 2.75 inches shorter at 4' 1.75" wide. Now when you're measuring the width you can't go by the leaves, you have to go by the tip of the farthest stem or occasionally a pod will extend just beyond the stem. Do not include the pod when measuring! So many people want to do that but it's wrong. The Society For the Accurate Measurement of Pepper Plants, SFAMPP has issued guidelines that explain exactly how to do it. I don't need to go over that I'm sure you're well versed in their rules like all of the other pepper growers around here. I mean you're supposed to be certified by them prior to ever growing peppers from seed. A lot of us thought it should include plants that you buy at greenhouses and other stores but that just opens up an entirely new can of worms. Sorry for getting so long winded, happens to me all the time. So just to refresh red and brown 7 pots are 4'9" tall by 4'4" wide and yellow ones are just short of 5' tall. Why the SFAMPP won't change it to 4'11 and 7/8's" I'll never know, that organization is all politics anyway since what's his name took over. The yellow ones are exactly 4'1.75" wide. That's at the farthest stem, but you already know that.

Hope that was helpful. :P

Back