• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant Support

I know I've seen a topic on here about using bamboo, or wooden stakes to help support your plants. At first I didnt think I would need either, however my plants are going from this 

00000111111.jpg

to this 

Plants.jpg

I've tried mounding the soil around the base, but it doesn't seem to help. Obviously it gets worse when they are sitting in the sun (getting pretty hot in Fla, but I've been moving them to the shade) So what should my next option be? They are flowering now so I know when the pods comes it'll only get worse. Should I just do the bamboo and have it support the main stalk?

On another note, I don't want to start another thread for another question, but, are Morugas extremely slow growing? Seems my Bhuts are blowing passed them. Mine look healthy just slow growing =) Thanks everyone and Happy 4th of July!

its cheap and easy to use bamboo id give it a shot before doing anything else really.
as for growing most say hotter they are slower they grow lol, that being sad it doesnt always mean anything my carolina reaper and moruga beat down my bhut in size, they are about 2-3x bigger.
so many factors, different soil, roots, watering, ect ect, could be seeds, some seeds are bigger and germinate better and the plant takes off, others dont.. dont worry tho

I'd go with the bamboo.... waiting on mine to get big enough to put them in....

Last year my butch t was slow but it grew more in its groeth spurts than everything else. .

It's best to put them in when you plant that way you aren't damaging roots when you put them in. That being said it won't kill a plant or anything. Just plan ahead next time for maximum sufficiency ;)

I hsve bamboo skewers in right now.... upgradi mg yhe stkaes as they get bigger.
And I tuess I need toblay off the rolling rock for a b it.

Bamboo skewers definitely do the trick. I just recently put my plants outside earlier this week, and they did exactly the same thing as in your pictures. I put mine between a pair of skewers to shape their growth straight, and made sure to water them (but not overdo it), and within a day, they were fine. A 2nd set I just put out today did the same, so this evening I did the same, and watering was unnecessary, seeing as it was raining and all ;)

You can avoid damaging established roots by building a tripod frame over the plant, maybe about 5 feet tall lashing the top together and then drop a few lines of jute twine down the center towards the plant.  Gently weave the plant to the twine and use short pieces as additional tie-ons.

Another thing you might try with peppers that I'm using for tomatoes this year is The Florida Weave.

Back