• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant Tags/Markers What you prefer?

I make a map. After a few weeks of fruiting I have things generally memorized. 
     Also, if you're concerned about marker fading off a tag, try an industrial Sharpie. I've had good luck with them holding up in some pretty horrible conditions.

I'm using these, although I see the price has doubled since I bought mine. I wouldn't pay the current price. I'm using the pen that came with, and so far they are doing fine. The description says the pen is waterproof, but doesn't say anything about UV resistance. Hopefully they won't fade.

The tape I have for my label maker is supposed to be UV resistant. I plan on just printing the labels and adhering to the stakes. Will probably put on both sides incase one side fades in the sun. Still trying to find the right stake. I almost ordered some on amazon then seen the projected arrival date was in june. 

No more on the ground marking for me.Once i add mulch and the plant grows i cant get the tags anywhere i can see them.I had a bunch of old tent poles.Taped my plastic tags on top marked with sharpy.I am loving it already.plus i can tie off to it as it grows.
  i just put this pic in my glog so i should not be double posting this
2015-05-08 06.03.27.jpg

I use old discarded plastic window blinds. If you don't mind doing a little dumpster diving. You can get a thousand labels from one set and you can cut them any length you want. Sharpies hold up way better on them, then they do on those store bought plastic stakes. And after having several plants separated from their pots and labels last year by my so very well trained dogs, I now use a hole punch and a bread tie to secure labels directly to plants. 

D3monic said:

Is it the first year using them? Seems like something most nurseries use. 

I take it what you used last year didn't work as well as you would have liked? What did you use previously?
didn't label anything last year 0_0.
if you have a general idea of what stuff looks like and keep the ones that look alike away from eachother its not hard.

ajdrew said:
I also keep a map.

I have only 3 beds so I just draw a couple squares and a rectangle on a piece of paper with a north arrow. Does the trick if I happen to forget. :clap: My first couple years I used the white plastic nursery tags and after a couple weeks in the summer sun they would just break like eggshells so I stopped.

randyp said:
No more on the ground marking for me.Once i add mulch and the plant grows i cant get the tags anywhere i can see them.I had a bunch of old tent poles.Taped my plastic tags on top marked with sharpy.I am loving it already.plus i can tie off to it as it grows.
  i just put this pic in my glog so i should not be double posting this
attachicon.gif
2015-05-08 06.03.27.jpg
The hot pepper bed at Epcot (near the Mexico section) did something very similar which I really liked. Even if the plants get gigantic and bushy and crowded you still have the easy visibility year after year.

I cut pizza wedge shaped triangles out of the older flexible plastic kitchen cutting boards.   Cut em in triangles about 5 inches long and 2.5 inches wide at top.   The Bold Green sharpy stays on the best.  Black seems to fade out quicker.  Been out couple months and they are good.

Personally, I haven't labeled anything in ground or in my wally bags.  They are documented in my glog, and if I ever need to reference what is where I will just check there.

I prefer to use these, they work VERY well for me. Even bought the pink ones to use for my males (cannabis - so I can see from far away which NOT to flower until I am perfectly ready).

http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-Plastic-Hanging-Nursery-Gardening/dp/B00CTGV8PO/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1431105648&sr=8-16&keywords=plant+labels

51wgUbNPgML._SL1000_.jpg

I like how they stay on the stem instead of the soil. They move with the plant very easily when transplanted.

Also very good for pollinating and labeling individual branches.

obeychase said:
I just tape the pot and write the name in sharpie

If I was just doing pots I'd do that as well , White duct tape with sharpie That's what I did with most my seedlings. Last year I just printed labels for the pots and they was still legible by the end of the summer... barely. 

So far I've just put a sticker with the number on the pot. I've got a word document where I track the progress. When I pot up I just put a new sticker on. I've had a massive roll of white stickers for nearly 10 years and have not used it until now, so yolo. I'll be keeping nearly all my plants in pots anyway, and only having 14 varieties it won't be a disaster if the stickers fall off, they are quite different varieties. 

This sticker is getting a bit worn out. 
fJ9jMEt.jpg

moruga welder said:
damn sharpies fade my friend , already have that problem and they been out only a month         :onfire:
Yeah I bought tags on Greenhouse Megastore and the Sharpees are wearing off quick. I need to use a different marker. Fortunately, I made a chart as backup.

IMG_20150330_071007_335_zpssddqtdsk.jpg

mrgrowguy said:
I prefer to use these, they work VERY well for me. Even bought the pink ones to use for my males (cannabis - so I can see from far away which NOT to flower until I am perfectly ready).

http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-Plastic-Hanging-Nursery-Gardening/dp/B00CTGV8PO/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1431105648&sr=8-16&keywords=plant+labels

I like how they stay on the stem instead of the soil. They move with the plant very easily when transplanted.

Also very good for pollinating and labeling individual branches.

Back