• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

planted to early

thanks alot guys for the responses! im going to go to lows now and check out some light fixtures ill keep u guys posted!

We may have to swap seeds some time then ;)
I use a 4 foot, 4 bulb T8 shop light from Home Depot and it seems to do the trick, but if you are going to get T5 go with the 6500K bulbs.
I would also keep the seedlings under the light at all times and if you do have a warm window ledge you could use that too.

anytime im looking for Jamaican hot choc if anyone has any!! what do u have?

so if i put my plants under lights and they start to flower thats ok right? and when i put them outside they should flower some more??

I don't have any of those but I have a bunch of others on the go.
Chances are they will not flower under the lights before you put them outside.
Mine didn't flower until Aug of last year (since I started too late)

k i just got ack from lowes and bought a 4' 32w t8 with 2 6500k bulbs going to hang it up tom and put my plants nder them for about 16 hrs of light a day.

k heres my setup right now:

V5I6hiK.jpg

mmE43lb.jpg

y are my plants falling down??

It looks to be that they are growing towards the light source or it could be damping off
Make sure not to over water them. I would get that shop light up and running asap.

those are basic 4' shop lights (2 bulb) from lowe's/HD......T8's.....all 6500k

nothing fancy ;)

germinated in jiffy pellets under a dome with a mat......i hit them with chamomille tea once a week.....transplant into solos when i've got good, strong true leaves

solo cups have for farms ocean forest soil, which i really, really like

i've got them down to 16 hours of light at this point......i wanted to go a few weeks earlier than last year.....i ended up going 3-4.......but i don't want them to all outgrow the solos before i can get them out, either (i was able to get them out mid-may last year).....so i'll play with the light/heat a little based on how they seem to be going, but so far the growth in the ocean forest has been really, really good.......i don't want to have to transplant 100 plants before they go outside! i am sure i'll have to do that with some of the faster growing annuum/baccatum's, but.....

i doubt i'll feed them anything unless they tell me different

right now there's a little over 100 solo cups.......i've got a few more that i am limping along to transplant, all told i'll end up with probably 115-120 cups with right around 35 varities

some of those will get culled down as we go along, too......

I don't believe there is such a thing as too early for chinense types. I planted my chinenses Feb. 10th and kind of wish I had started sooner. I use a sort of sunny window, a 4 tube flourescent fixture, and 2 250w hps fixtures for them. I'd much rather have a 2 foot transplant (wishful thinking) than a 2" transplant when it's time to move them outside which won't be until mid May for me here.

I also have nothing bad to say about Ocean Forest, other than the price. It's good stuff and I've had nothing but good results when I've used it. I've also heard a lot of people complain about the peat pellets but I've never really had any trouble with them.

dork - no doubt

last year i put 85 total peppers in the ground......this year i aim for for like 100

i don't want ALL of them to outgrow their solos, though ;)

You should place a fan on them. Just a couple of hours a day, it will strengthen the stems. Looking very good.

thanks again guys for all the help. im just waiting on a few more to germinate but heres my current setup with 4' t8 32w 6500k 2 tubes setup with fan

64JI1tZ.jpg

uF2QOsL.jpg

i plan on have the light on for 12-16hr a day and the fan going on a few hrs a day. does it matter if the fans on with the light or the lights can be off?

thanks
nick

In have my seedlings under 24 hour light. The second set of eaves have not come in yet. How long should I keep them under 24 hour light?

let me rephrase.....my wife doesn't want me to have to repot all 100 ;)

hoping to get a bunch of 6" pots free/cheap......then it's just soil

I agree with Patrick. Get those guys growing and strong so they'll be ready when it's time to move them outside. You'll start budding sooner that way. Of course, I say that having zero knowledge of the weather conditions in Toronto. I'm in southeast Louisiana, so I started mine outdoors last week. It's been 70° F or so here. No hardening off necessary when they grew up in the sun and southern heat.

i do......it's there, just not in the picture.....

Sorry tims77, I was referring to dinick.

dinick, how close are the lights? Hopefully within four inches or so. You may want to add more soil to the cups, give the roots more room to roam. With the ones that are kind of leggy you can bury half of the stem with dirt. Roots will eventually develop there giving you a stronger, healthier base. The two on the far right and the third one from the right in the front row are begging for it. Looks like you're on the right track.

Back