• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Planting deeper question

I started some White Habs in Jiffy pellets they seem to be getting a little leggy ( due to to not being set up with proper lighting). My question is when I pot them up can I plant them deeper, like almost to the first leaves or will that choke them out.

So you want to bury them whole? Lulz. How far are your seedlings? Pics would be better to see and be able to tell you. I always bury the the stem up to the cotyledons without having the cotyledons touch the soil or medium. Hope that helps.

,Vegas

Some folks bury the cotyledons. They will sprout roots to aid in support (useful protection from wind).

Deeper = better.

However if you don't have any true leaves, don't bury the Cotyledons :).

Up till a certain point in a plants development (and those who've overwintered and had to re-plant would know better than I) they can be re-potted deeper, and more roots will come out of the stalk. I suspect this works until the part you are burying has lignified, at which point I think you would be more likely to damage your plant.

lol this is great. I have MANY that are too leggy because of my previous lighting situation. Good info here. Just bury them down... got it ;)

I suspect this works until the part you are burying has lignified, at which point I think you would be more likely to damage your plant.

Most plants actually have the ability to undifferentiate their cells, forming a callous of white cells that will then become roots. The harder the tissue, the longer it takes, but most stems will grow roots if buried long enough.

The biggest danger is burying open wounds, increasing the chance of bacterial/viral/fungal infection. So if you're burying any stem, make sure any cut branches have dried beforehand.

I understand planting starts that are leggy deeper but I do have a question? How much distance are you guys leaving between the soil and the first set of leaves with say a 8 inch plant? I have always left at least an inch from the start and increase gradually as the plant gets bigger to increase air flow and reduce the chance of disease.

That would make sense to me, this will be my first year growing peppers but in general for indoor horticulture it's important to have enough air circulation to stop powdery mildew or other fungi from growing. Unless you're really constricted by space an inch or two of stem won't hurt.

Back