• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

in-ground Planting directly into the ground...

I roast them in my hot air popcorn popper. It works great. Sorry to hear the soil is so bad where you are.

Oh, don't be sorry; it's actually a really positive thing. IME, nothing worth doing is really "easy" in the real life. It makes success all the more rewarding and humbling in the end. Cheers.

Anyone in a hot climate had success with planting directly into the soil?

I'm wondering how chillis can survive in nature where they have no gradual introduction to the sun...??

I'm in a hot climate and I grow in soil(raised bed) and in potting mix(containers). The pepper plants in soil are much larger and healthier than the ones in potting mix. Both the soil and potting mix have the same ferts. I think the plants in the soil(raised beds) are doing alot better because the roots stay cooler than the plants in containers.

Right!

Taken 150 seeds and sown into grow mix which I have left outside and directly in the elements.

If they germinate, I'll take the trouble to transfer them into the ground but until then I'll protect my back and knees!

:beer:

Feedback -

Planted the seeds on 5 Sept and none have germinated thus far.

Seeds that were planted on an oil heater germinated after three days and seeds planted on heating mats germinated after five days. These are under lights and off the heat source.

Whilst I expected the seeds planted outside to be less work, they are in fact a lot more work, requiring constant supervision to prevent dehydration.

:cool:

Well, I have around 70 seedlings that have germinated outside and they are really looking good!

Slower to react than the seeds on hot trays indoors, these are more solid looking somehow...

these are more solid looking somehow...

i think it's because the plants are in the ground. the fact that the soil they're in is not constricted and "more alive" somewhat than being in containers. =D

might try this out on a couple pepper varieties i can play around with.

Oh,

They're still in seeding trays, just planted directly outside without going through the usual hardening process...

Oh,

They're still in seeding trays, just planted directly outside without going through the usual hardening process...

ahh, i see. did that with a couple newly germinated seeds. they did fine. =D

one of my healthiest plants, actually.

oh, btw huntsman, got some seeds that originally came from you (he got seeds from you and then he shared me seeds that came from his plants). the sender was a member of another forum. just wanted to let you know.

ahh, i see. did that with a couple newly germinated seeds. they did fine. =D

one of my healthiest plants, actually.

oh, btw huntsman, got some seeds that originally came from you (he got seeds from you and then he shared me seeds that came from his plants). the sender was a member of another forum. just wanted to let you know.

That's great!

Glad to know he liked them enough to share...:-)

Hey huntsman,

Being from Melbourne, I have a pretty similar weather pattern to you, although I think you get an earlier spring than I do (it only just hit 20C for the first time since winter on the weekend).

I started my plants very early this year, I think June 1 was the first time I planted a seed. This was great, but boy did I run out of room pretty quickly.

Putting plants outside to gradually get used to the sun is great, but if you haven't got any sun, you get into a situation where your plant growth actually retards, and the plant gets sick real quick. I think I need to invest in a decent greenhouse because the crappy $25 stuff I got from a major discount store here really sucked balls.

On the weekend, I managed to put some plants outside for the first time, and you can see really quickly that they suffer with the massive UV difference than what they get under artificial lights. But if you can put it in such a way that they get a few hours of sun followed by some shade, you'll find they will adjust within a few days or so. Don't leave it too late into Spring, because the leaves can burn pretty quickly but they should be alright in the low 20's.

Hey MM!

We're much higher than you at 1500m ASL, so we have crisp clear temps with little or no humidity, which means that when it's hot, it's clearly hot and winters are chilly but never damp.

We've had temps in the 20's for a couple of weeks now and all trees are in full blanket. I've already started hardening up the indoor seedlings for an hour or even two per day, but it's already hot enough for me to see that if I forget them in the sun for too long, they'll be crispened very quickly. (Not sure if that's a word, but it damn well should be!) :beer:

Back