• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Planting seedlings out in Spanish heat!

Hi Guys, what is best way to get seedlings out in Southern Spanish heat, I have about 35 small plants which I have been growing under light and now want to transplant them into pots outside. I left plants out for about 5 mins in the sun and all of them wilted. Any advice appreciated.

first you need to acclimate them , you need to put them outside 1st day for maybe half hour second day 1 hour  third day 2 hours and then increase the time for a week or so, and they will be ready. They wilt cause they are not used to sun. :)

AloxVanFren said:
first you need to acclimate them , you need to put them outside 1st day for maybe half hour second day 1 hour  third day 2 hours and then increase the time for a week or so, and they will be ready. They wilt cause they are not used to sun. :)

yep , what he said !  must hardened them off first ,     :onfire:

In order to give plants a chance to grow from seed to mature, fruit-bearing plant, gardeners need to start plants indoors during the cold late winter, and transplant them outside once the temperatures are warm enough to support proper plant growth.  “Hardening off” is the process of moving plants outdoors for a portion of the day to gradually introduce them to the direct sunlight, dry air, and cold nights.  Below are step-by-step instructions given by Norma Rossel, Quality Assurance Manager for Johnny's Selected Seeds.
  1. Harden off gradually, so that seedlings become accustomed to strong sunlight, cool nights and less-frequent watering over a 7-10 day period.
  2. On a mild day, start with 2-3 hours of sun in a sheltered location.
  3. Protect seedlings from strong sun, wind, hard rain and cool temperatures.
  4. Increase exposure to sunlight a few additional hours at a time and gradually reduce frequency of watering, but do not allow seedlings to wilt. Avoid fertilizing.
  5. Keep an eye on the weather and listen to the low temperature prediction. If temperatures below the crop's minimum are forecast, bring the plants indoors or close the cold frame and cover it with a blanket or other insulation.
  6. Know the relative hardiness of various crops. Onions and brassicas are hardy and can take temperatures in the 40's. After they are well hardened off, light frosts won't hurt them. Warm-season crops such as eggplants, melons and cucumbers prefer warm nights, at least 60° F. They can't stand below-freezing temperatures, even after hardening off.
  7. Gradually increase exposure to cold.
  8. After transplanting to the garden, use a weak fertilizer solution to get transplants growing again and to help avoid transplant shock.  Be sure to water plants after hardening them off.
Hardy plants, can be hardened off when the outside temperature is consistently above 40° F.  Half-Hardy plants may be hardened off at 45° F.

Recommended Minimum Temperatures 

Hardy

40° F.

Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, cabbage, onions, leeks, parsley

Half-Hardy

45° F.

Celery, Chinese cabbage, lettuce, endive

Tender

50° F.

Squash, pumpkin, sweet corn

60° F.

Cucumber, muskmelon

65° F.

Basil, tomatoes, peppers

the terms "hardy" and "tender" relate to whether a crop can withstand frost. Hardy plants can, tender crops can't and half-hardy ones may be able to take brief, light frosts.

All pepper plants wilt big or small with the sun unless they have some type of shade. I let mine get 5-6 inches tall n i top them once new growth begins and leaves are fully developed is when i transfer them out. These new f2 leaves will be tougher than the first leaves. Get them in the shade so they can get used to the heat and then start introducing them to the sun. If they wilt let them and if they re over without any sundamage then they are ready

I put mine here in the scorching sun, but I put them out earlier in spring so they had time to acclimate.
I am in Southern Spain, and from June on I am using a sunshade thing to protect them from the most intense heat around noon.
Some other peppers I am putting where it's a little more shaded.

Softlad said:
Hi Guys, what is best way to get seedlings out in Southern Spanish heat, I have about 35 small plants which I have been growing under light and now want to transplant them into pots outside. I left plants out for about 5 mins in the sun and all of them wilted. Any advice appreciated.

All sun is not as intense. In the beginning,  acclimate your small young plants in earlier morning and/or later afternoon sun.

You need to do this slowly, giving the plants time to develop less porous leaves and grow more root mass.

First, put them outside in the shade for a few days.  Just being outside in the drier air is a stress.

Then try a half hour of morning sun.

Slowly work up from there over the next week or so.

I second Jigsaw and Geonerd. Based on last year and this year for me, putting them in the shade first is a must. It is just a shame that the learning process has a long wait period before you get to try again ><

Back