• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds planting up / leggy seedlings

Nice set-up Fire Angel! And the price is certainly right. Your plants look healthy and very happy! You are obviously doing everything right. Cute picture of your daughter! That's fantastic that she's unafraid of snakes like that. One of nature's misunderstood creatures. Thanks for sharing this with us.

When mine have to get watered every day or two it's time to repot them. That usually happens after the leaves grow big enough to hang over the edge of the cups by a good bit.

good looking seedlings Angel...I personally transplant my seedlings up to the cotyledon leaves...from what I have read, the buried stem will send out side roots...IMO that gives you a better "root base" to support the plant....

as far as when to transplant...like has been already said, I transplant them when the roots are coming out of the bottom of the cells...

something else I have learned is that if you let the cells dry out a lot before transplanting, you can push up from the bottom of the cell and a nice plug will come out when you gently pull the stem from the top...the entire plug comes out easily and makes transplanting a lot easier IMO...and of course you water them in really good after transplant..

When transplanting, you don't want the cells too dry or too wet, but if its just right, the plants should pop out very easily, as long as there is a bit of a root ball. To me your bigger seedlings look like they're ready for a new home soon.

When I plant up, I usually plant a little deeper each time, until the plants look strong enough to provide good solid support. I never judge by the cotyledons alone, but by how much support each plant looks like the'll need.

Back