• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plants dying, pods dropping

I am re-posting this from my glog since my glog is very new and not really looked at. I am having a serious problem in the garden and I am not sure what it is. Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I have some peppers that have dropped. They seem to be rotting. Any thoughts on what I can do to save my other peppers?

IEoMZW3.jpg

I also lost or am losing a couple of plants. They live amongst the other plants so I don't know why these are not doing well. I have 2 pictures. First, is a Pepper Fish plant that is yellowing and drooping. Second is an unlabeled Habanero plant that is starting to yellow. I also have a Caribbean Red that just lost its leaves and died. One other plant, a fatally of some kind, lost its flowers and will probably not fruit this season. The plant seems strong, however. I have hit the plants up with Epsom salts recently as well as Hydrogen Peroxide. I do not know what is happening to these plants. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

pdagvDN.jpg

0bpGPSL.jpg

Agree - the pod issue is blossom-end rot; add calcium. Many of us use CalMag, but you can use any fertilizer that has a good amount of calcium in it. Often fertilizer marketed for tomatoes has enough.

Look at the leaf graphic on this linked site for what may be going on with the plants. That said, yellowing is most commonly caused by overwatering. Tell us about your watering habits and also what fertilizers (other than epsom salts) you are using.

That plant looks starved.  What fertilizer do you have on hand?

If nothing else, buy a few dollars of Miracle Grow generic plant food (the Blue Crystals) and apply at a low dosage for several watering cycles.

The rot is classic Blossom End and is a cry for calcium. 

Actually can we get More pics closer to plant from here I can see some bacterial leaf spot. That and most likely some kind of fungal or bacterial wilt which can be seen in my glog. The soil seems very wet which isn't good. That second picture for sure seems like leaf spot. The wilted one couls be overwatering or bacterial or fungal wilt

It's not blossom end rot. Blossom end rot happens at the 'blossom' end and most of that rot is mid & top end.

I'd be looking in the direction of Blight or similar, especially as you have lost plants.

Is the soil always that wet? It looks plenty damp. It could be that it's staying too wet and causing some root rot. I've lost some plants to wet soil/root rot in pots that don't drain well.

Sorry that I am posting back so late. I want to address some of the comments. I am still looking to find out what is going on.

My watering habits are light. I typically do not water and let rain do the watering for me. If it goes a week without water, I will water on the weekend for about 15mins. I have not been giving the plants major nutes. I have a 5-3-3 Plant tone that I have given them. I also sprayed the leaves with Epsom salts and Hydrogen Peroxide according to the strengths that have been recommended in the forums. I did see a lot of Bacterial Leaf Spot and that seems to go away some once I started spraying the leaves. I also used some Azomite powder. Not a lot and it was not done early in the season like it probably should have been. The soil in the earlier pictures above is wet due to a recent watering. I did not split open the rotting pods. I wish that I did. I have opened up some other rotting pods and found no form of life.

Here are some new pictures. First, a positive picture of some peppers that I picked today. So most plants are healthy...

43iYSFI.jpg

Next are a unlabeled Hab and a Seranno that look yellow and are going down that path to death.

Ny0ihxb.jpg

CNoN5mo.jpg

Now, here is a blurry picture of a Bubblegum 7Pod pod that I have. It is one of two pods on the plant. I have two other Bubblegums that I started from seed. They have dropped their flowers and are starting to yellow. Here is a pic of one plant that is amidst a few other plants. Perhaps I planted them too close together? Note the black stem on the Bubblegum...

1NGTg3C.jpg

WMjuFJ6.jpg

I have to say that my photography needs some serious work. Good thing I don't take pictures or garden for a living.  :rolleyes:

Any help or suggestions are sincerely appreciated. I promise to post back in a much more reasonable time this time.

I think there are a combination of things that I am screwing up with in the garden this year.   I think I haven't been watering enough.  Most of the plants look good but a small number have died.  I had pods drop and aside from the calcium recommendations which I would assume to be one of my issues, I have found little worms in many of the peppers I have picked, specifically the Pumpkin Habs and the Tasmanian Habs.  All three of my Bubblegum 7-pot plants are not doing well.  I wonder if they have more of a requirement for water or nutes. 

How do I avoid the bugs in the future?  I did not do any pesticides this year. 

We do have a person that does the yard, cuts the grass and I would assume apply some sort of weed killer early in the season.  I will reach out to them to see if the weed killer application dates align with any plants dying.  Looks like it would be best to also do a soil sample. 

How about the bugs/worms?  How do I get rid of them?  How do they get in the actual pepper?  I do not see any holes in the actual pod.

Back