• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plants wilting during the day during extreme heat

yeah this happens quite a lot, i grow my peppers in my balcony where it can easily get 35 degrees celsius (95 Fahrenheit). 
The start wilting @ 11:00 AM until @ 1:00 PM. Thats when the sun goes over my block and they return to normal.
I also have a shade cloth if the prognosis indicates consecutive hot days.
Also if i water them heavily in the morning they dont wilt that much.

Kikaida said:
My self watering buckets are by far the best performers of all my pots for wilt and growth. I got black pots, I got fabric pots, I got tall pots and short ones....The home depot self water buckets are blowing them all away. Everyone has talked about the shade cloth and I couldn't agree more and couldn't grow anything without it. Couple weeks back was 110.5, freakin hot. I use a black 50-60% shade cloth now. Looking up, the sun is BLINDING but walking on the concrete is comfortable bare foot. It cuts the laser beam hotness dramatically while still providing tons-o-sun. But the pots, they make a big difference and I think the reason is two fold, one, they're not black and two, they are insulated because they are doubled up. Now you don't have to fill the reservoir and use them as a self watering, you can water from the top. But when thing get crazy hot, I fill up the reservoir...When things get mellow, I don't and top water. The plants in them are almost double the size of their counter parts. Next year? All self watering pots. Here's how to make um https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWkg5ttOm5I
If only my fiancé would let me lol. I will just have to do this because it makes me mad haha. I think I may switch all my peppers to pots next year and leave other stuff in my raised bed in ground garden.

Shade cloth and some silica... Silica and some Magnesium will help make the cell walls stronger, and more resistant to wilt. Worked for me. Just don't overdue the  silica 5ML PER GALLON.

SvtCobra said:
  Shade cloth and some silica... Silica and some Magnesium will help make the cell walls stronger, and more resistant to wilt. Worked for me. Just don't overdue the  silica 5ML PER GALLON.
thanks for the tip! I have the cal mag that has the magnesium part handled. I believe there is silica in one of my ferts i use. Thanks again for your help!

Got my first pod about an inch long over night on my red ghost pepper. It's just a thing of beauty at the moment. It's a light green color and the plant has more than from what I counted 25-32 flowers and about 6 pods of different sizes. Glad to see it thrive in this extremely hot weather. The inch long pod seemed to grow in two days!

Kikaida said:
My self watering buckets are by far the best performers of all my pots for wilt and growth. I got black pots, I got fabric pots, I got tall pots and short ones....The home depot self water buckets are blowing them all away. Everyone has talked about the shade cloth and I couldn't agree more and couldn't grow anything without it. Couple weeks back was 110.5, freakin hot. I use a black 50-60% shade cloth now. Looking up, the sun is BLINDING but walking on the concrete is comfortable bare foot. It cuts the laser beam hotness dramatically while still providing tons-o-sun. But the pots, they make a big difference and I think the reason is two fold, one, they're not black and two, they are insulated because they are doubled up. Now you don't have to fill the reservoir and use them as a self watering, you can water from the top. But when thing get crazy hot, I fill up the reservoir...When things get mellow, I don't and top water. The plants in them are almost double the size of their counter parts. Next year? All self watering pots. Here's how to make um https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWkg5ttOm5I

I like those! Seem pretty similar as the Hempy Bucket setup I have, principle seems to be the same, "internal" reservoir at the bottom. You can also make this into a passive Hydro system (like Hempy Buckets), except that you use Perlite/Vermiculite and instead of water some hydro nutrients.

However, since it's a passive Hydro system it's important that the water/nutrient solution cannot become stale (otherwise it would kill/choke the roots since its not airated), so the reservoir must be JUST the right size that the water/solution is taken in in, say, a couple of days.

(The most simple Hempy Bucket setup would be just one bucket with a hole about 2" from the bottom off the bucket. So if you water, it will always leave 2" at the bottom and otherwise flow out. Then fill the bottom 2" of the bucket up to the hole with perlite only [hydroton might work too, maybe even gravel], and then on top you can actually put normal soil, or perlite/vermiculite mix. When you water, you water just enough until some water comes out the hole on the side. This setup would save you buckets and sawing and the other work, I am sure it works as well)

And yes, for outside in the scorching sun, WHITE pots!!

flexy123 said:

I like those! Seem pretty similar as the Hempy Bucket setup I have, principle seems to be the same, "internal" reservoir at the bottom. You can also make this into a passive Hydro system (like Hempy Buckets), except that you use Perlite/Vermiculite and instead of water some hydro nutrients.

However, since it's a passive Hydro system it's important that the water/nutrient solution cannot become stale (otherwise it would kill/choke the roots since its not airated), so the reservoir must be JUST the right size that the water/solution is taken in in, say, a couple of days.

(The most simple Hempy Bucket setup would be just one bucket with a hole about 2" from the bottom off the bucket. So if you water, it will always leave 2" at the bottom and otherwise flow out. Then fill the bottom 2" of the bucket up to the hole with perlite only [hydroton might work too, maybe even gravel], and then on top you can actually put normal soil, or perlite/vermiculite mix. When you water, you water just enough until some water comes out the hole on the side. This setup would save you buckets and sawing and the other work, I am sure it works as well)

And yes, for outside in the scorching sun, WHITE pots!!
Thanks for the knowledge!

It's much hotter this year, and my pepper yield is suffering as a result. Very few pods developing, lots of flower drop, and the pods that do develop end up being very small. I'm assuming that this is related to the heat because it's happening to all 64 plants on my property, even the plants that are in their 2nd year. Could it be the heat doing this?

Back