• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plants with some issues

Hi all! I wish my first post was of my first harvest, but alas I need help, so bear with me.

I've created an album here, with one photo and one line describing the problem per plant.

I know they're quite small for this time of the year, but I started in mid/late-April. Furthermore, because the weather here in the UK is not amazing, I kind of MacGyvered a grow box out of 4x10W cool white led bulbs, which I know is not a lot, but the best I could do until the weather gets better. The temperature in there oscillates between 26 and 30 ºC.

They have been growing in John Innes No 2 compost and no nutrients as of yet. I've been watering them once each 3 or 4 days with tap water (pH ~7.4), making sure that the soil is dry by poking my pinky on the soil. Finally, I put them outside two days ago during a sunny day.

I would really appreciate any help!

Cheers!

moruga welder said:
whats your questions ?  and  WELCOME !

Thanks! Each photo has a description of the problem, but I'll expand on it here:

- Yellowing: can be caused by a myriad of things, the most common being nitrogen deficiency... but the plant is so small that I doubt it has consumed all the initial soil nitrogen
- New leaves curled and crinkled: what can be causing this? Is it temperature, watering, ...?
- Droopy old leaves and curled new ones: again, what can be causing this?
- Spots on leaf: is it nutrient deficiency or some kind of disease?

Are all the plants given the same treatment? Watering at the same time, etc?

If you haven't supplied any nutrients yet, I think a very small dose of fertilizer might help. I suspect some of the initial issues were from your lighting not being sufficient. Curling might be from lack of calcium, and I know a pH above ~7.5 starts to lock up some of those ions (like iron and maybe others).

Maybe wait for some others to chime in, but I think a little bit of dilute fertilizer in some slightly acidic water will go a long way.

Good luck!

`
Let's see if this works? NECM

UnosPicanOutrosNon said:
Thanks! Each photo has a description of the problem, but I'll expand on it here with pix.

`
GOFmBuT.jpg

- Yellowing: can be caused by a myriad of things, the most common being nitrogen deficiency... but the plant is so small that I doubt it has consumed all the initial soil nitrogen
`

`
QA56ph3.jpg

- New leaves curled and crinkled: what can be causing this? Is it temperature, watering, 
`

`
squNL9Z.jpg

- Droopy old leaves and curled new ones: again, what can be causing this?

`

`
Y5C1RF1.jpg

`
- Spots on leaf: is it nutrient deficiency or some kind of disease?
`

`

If it isn't something that's been nailed down yet, to me that simply looks like you are watering too often. I had similar leaf damage and reducing the amount of water by half made a huge difference. 

If this is bacterial leaf spotting from too much water, you're in trouble, because once it's on a leaf, that leaf is toast. It will die, and you must prune the entire stem to keep it from spreading across the whole plant. You can slow the damage down by spraying something like a full-spectrum insecticide with fungicide. I think that Ortho makes an absolutely fantastic product they call "3-in-1", and you can pick up a spray bottle for about $8. 

If nothing else, cut back the amount of watering you are doing by half, and try to get the water only in the dirt, and not on the leaves. That can help with bacterial spotting too. As your plants get larger, use string or tie wraps to support the stalk and keep the leaves from resting on the ground wherever possible. Best of luck. 

Back