• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Plastic bag germination ?'s

I started some vatieties of seeds about a week ago using the plastic bag method and was wondering what the time frame has been for anyone using this method.After a week three out of fifteen varieties have germed.But how long is too long to wait?

+1 What RTForester said.

The Chinenses take longer from what I've read. I've been messing around with six different Annums and usually get something in 5 days. Fastest: Chimayo in 2 days, 100% in 4 days. Slowest: Cal Wonder sweet pepper: 1 seed germ in 10 days, the other 8 just sitting there.

Out of 15 baggies so far, 13 have produced in the 80%+ range. I also baggied onions, broccoli, and cilantro. Broccoli was 100% in 2 days lol. Onions 5 days and very high ratio. Just trying stuff out... :cool: The two baggies of no-shows were really old seeds.

I open the baggies daily for fresh air, keep them slightly inflated, and spritz with a weak hydrogen peroxide solution. This might help for those really long waits.

And yes, I think also the cups would be better, especially for long term...

The problem is Willard, I'm not the most patient guy in the world. Maybe that's why I check my seeds a couple times a day. Does digging into the soil to see if the seeds are producing a tap root considered impatient? :whistle:

I started some habs and banana peppers in plastic bags and paper towels about a week ago and they have their tails right now. Gonna plant them in dirt when I see some green. So about 7 to 10 days is when you should start seeing root tails. I've seen some seeds germinate within 4 days at best, 15 days at the worst.

Get a zip-lock bag and a paper towel and wash your hands

IMG_8543.jpg

Distribute seeds on paper towel and fold over

IMG_8544.jpg

Insert paper towel in plastic bag and wet the paper towel.....not sopping, just wet.
Seal the bag and put it where it is 85-90F (measure it) and wait.

IMG_8545.jpg

I kept meaning to switch to cups, but had great sucess / luck with pepper germs in the baggies. I use coffee filter instead of paper towel--tighter weave. I also use a very weak tea solution (real tea, not compost tea: black, green, chamomile) to soak. The tannins supposed to help the germ. Dunno for sure.

I also puff up the baggie a little. Mini greenhouse effect:
garden%2041011%20017.jpg

Method works for all kinds of seeds. My peppers are mostly done, but method is same for the squashes, etc. I usually plant as soon as I see the root, or plant the whole batch after the first couple germ. Trying to minimize root stress.
garden%2041011%20018.jpg

Plant germed seed strait into pot of choice. I usually use 2.5 x 3.5-inch. They'll come up in about 5 days or so.
garden%2041011%20019.jpg

Put on plastic wrap and find a warm place. As they emerge, put individual pots under the lights.
garden%2041011%20028.jpg

Just how I do peppers and now most everything.... :cool:

Well it sounds like you already got your answer..but here is my experience.

I use to use the paper towel in the bag. The time to germinate depends on the type your growing and I have found that sometimes depends even on the seed itself. I have had a batch of say..bhuts in there..one or two came up in a week and other from the same batch in the same bag took over a month.

In terms of this method, I have tried putting seeds in between a folded paper towel, tried rolling them up inside the paper towel, and have tried just laying them on a paper towel inside the bag. Quite honestly the latter seemed to have worked the best.

After I joined THP, I started using cups. I would have to say hands down it kicks the snot out of any paper towel method.

I used the paper towel in a bag method as well. My first experiment went well almost all of them germinated. A few weeks later I tried the exact same thing this time at a larger scale and almost none of them geminated. I have no idea why. The first batch I hardly tried. I just wanted to see if it would work. Once I found it did I got fancy and tried really hard and go minimal results. Ha. Figures.

Anyway my interest is peaked on this cup method. Would anyone be willing to explain or provide a link to a thread that does?

I used the paper towel in a bag method as well. My first experiment went well almost all of them germinated. A few weeks later I tried the exact same thing this time at a larger scale and almost none of them geminated. I have no idea why. The first batch I hardly tried. I just wanted to see if it would work. Once I found it did I got fancy and tried really hard and go minimal results. Ha. Figures.

Anyway my interest is peaked on this cup method. Would anyone be willing to explain or provide a link to a thread that does?

Ya know those clear little plastic cups you sometimes get salad dressing in at restaurants? Those are the cups..i will find a pic and edit this post so you can see..there is also another thread in here I will try and find for you.
Anyway...you can get them at gordon foods or someplace like that.
Take a small piece of paper towel..cut it and put in the bottom of the cup to cover the bottom. Moisten the paper towel. Put your seeds on top, put the lid on, and your done. Put in a warm place.
Make sure you check every few days as the paper towel will dry out.

Let me find picture and/or thread and I will edit this..

Edit...the thread is HERE

Have used baggie with coffee filter for many years, get very near 100% germination. have tried them all this works best for me. do what works best for you. have germinated in as little as 4 days some seeds as long 1 month. Happy growing

For heat, I use the area around the hot water tank with my baggies. Next year I think I will try the 'light in the oven' method and the cups. Advantages there.

But it is good to hear old salts like Hawaii Al have had success with baggies and coffee filters as I stumbled into that method this year... :cool: As he said, go with what works for you.

For heat, I use the area around the hot water tank with my baggies. Next year I think I will try the 'light in the oven' method and the cups. Advantages there.

But it is good to hear old salts like Hawaii Al have had success with baggies and coffee filters as I stumbled into that method this year... :cool: As he said, go with what works for you.

Couldn't agree more. Whatever works for a person is what they should use..if it aint broke..dont fix it!

Back