• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plastic cups

Hey all,
Just curious, I bought these plastic cups the other day to pot up to, but as an after thought I wondered if it matters that they are clear?? I'm not ready to pot up yet but am trying to get things organised early. So, will these clear cups do the job or should I save them for a few drinks and bbq?

i wouldn't know from experience mate, but i keep reading on here that its not good to get direct light on your smaller roots. not sure why... and also black heats up better keeping your pot warmer. There's my input, but i'm sure you will get more from others :)

Cheers Grimus,
Again, an after thought. Makes sense to me that ya shouldn't get direct light on the roots as they grow in complete darkness.
I might just paint them black then. Any thoughts?

I have painted black some boeing oxygen generator packages from work, basically hard plastic cups. they work great. so just a quick spray and you'll be sweet as

Grimus said:
I have painted black some boeing oxygen generator packages from work, basically hard plastic cups. they work great. so just a quick spray and you'll be sweet as
Nice, what do you do for a crust?
MrArboc said:
Just wrap 'em with som aluminium foil!
Good idea, cheers MrA

In theory you want to keep roots dark but in reality it shouldn't really hurt them. Just buy non-clear cups next time or even better yet buy small square pots which are more stable and hold more soil and are inexpensive

Ive been using clear plastic cups, just because they were readily available for theft from a water cooler.
Thought it pretty cool that I can see the root ball forming which lets me know when to pot on.
No problems as yet.

22042010086.jpg

Wunder said:
Ive been using clear plastic cups, just because they were readily available for theft from a water cooler.
Thought it pretty cool that I can see the root ball forming which lets me know when to pot on.
No problems as yet.

22042010086.jpg

Thats also what i was thinking, at least I'd know when to pot up.

jolokia_jas said:
Sorry to hear that!!! About the airforce I mean.... bwaaaaaahahahaha. Jk, I used to be in the Oz Army.

My apologies... i will try to use small simple words from now on... grunt grunt grunt.. :P

Hydroblasting, no, not at all I work for transpacific. You may have seen them around over you're way??? But yeah straight off the street, although I think the military background may have had something to do with it, coz my old boss was ex AJ too. But you could teach a monkey to hydroblast, I mean look at me they let a grunt do it.... AND.... I just got promoted to team leader yesterday too. So yeah pretty easy. How long you been in for?

Congratulations on the promo mate. I was thinking about going over and trying my luck getting into the mines, just like millions of other kiwi's lol. But with an explosives background and the military factor i thought i might get my foot in the door. then you guys had a big drop in jobs, so decided not to. that's the best thing about the military, your jobs pretty safe :) I've been in the mob for 9 1/2 years.

Back