• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Please help identify this "reaper"

These look very much like 7 pot brain strains. I know the pic is very un-detailed, I'll grab a better one of a ripe fruit tomorrow. Any thoughts? These were sold as a "reaper" from the world's most favorite ripoff artist who is based out of a peninsula state. Kept the plants alive over winter, this is year 2. Sidenote: The other plant that stayed alive, has managed to grow an entirely different shape of pepper than last year. (I have no other plants near these 2, no chance of cross-breeding, unless a very unlikely, vagabond bee, lol) I'll grab pics of that one too. Some look like morugas, some look like 7 pots. All, obviously not reapers...

dyknf5.jpg

Welcome to THP.  

Favorite part of you post is about the second year plant that is putting off pods that are very different from the first year. I don't really have the space to overwinter, but I am fascinated by what I read about second, third, and so on year plants.  Have read many folk say the older a plant is, the more its true nature comes out. I know that in a one season grow, the early pods tend be wonky.  What do those pods look like compared to the first year?  Would love to have a heated greenhouse so I could see first hand what they do as they get older.

Assuming you are speaking about Pepper Joe.  I've not had bad experiences with him, but it has been a while and I have certainly read a few complaints.  All I can think is that all the media attention to the Carolina Reaper that maybe he was overwhelmed for a time.  I try to think the best of folk and everyone can screw up here and there.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. And no, not pepper joe. His name is D. and his company is B.P. He's robbed me after this purchase. Anyways, heres more pics of plant #1.

2cy09d5.jpg

dcxh4.jpg

Here's the weird plant. (Yes, both types of pods are on this plant):

4gpusn.jpg

2417ddk.jpg

Ah, I think I know who you are talking about.  Thing is, if you aren't right there with it some folk won't know who you are talking about.  Worse yet, they might thing you are talking about someone else.  In this case, maybe Buckeye Peppers.  Had some sort of goofy conversational clash which the guy from Buckeye a year or so ago.  Was stoned on morphine at the time.  Later, ordered some seeds from him.  Fast service, good germination, and most pods were right on target.  Think he offers a fair product at a fair price.

Now thinking you are talking Baker's Peppers.  Have bought seed from him too.  Did not run into problems.  I seem to be very lucky.  Mistakes do happen.  To be completely honest, I sometimes wonder if I live in some sort of weird happy hippie bubble. 

BTW: Knowing the seed dealer and figuring you were mistakenly sent the wrong seeds, you should go threw the catalog and see what looks like your pods.

Yeh, I don't really want to start a flame war. But short story, I ordered a sfrb last july from baker's and I never got them. E-mailed multiple times, facebook messaged as well, I think he even banned me from his page. With that and these "reaper" plants he sent me, I've decided to cut my losses. 

Funny thing is, I just realized that the next guy I bought from, was YOU! Hahaha, great product, I ordered a box of 7 pot primo's and I think a few others from you last year, and couldn't have been happier with the product and the price. Keep up the good work sir, I'll make sure I place an order this year for some peppers in the near future. 

I made clones from a Butch-T Scorpion plant, and all of the pods on them look exactly like the ones on your plant. (I have about 20 clones growing like crazy in my backyard.)

jfettlol said:
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. And no, not pepper joe. His name is D. and his company is B.P. He's robbed me after this purchase. Anyways, heres more pics of plant #1.

2cy09d5.jpg

dcxh4.jpg

Here's the weird plant. (Yes, both types of pods are on this plant):

4gpusn.jpg

2417ddk.jpg

1st pic of the second plant looks reasonably like the "Bhut Shaped Reaper" but, given the other pods, I'm almost certain it isn't that. Instead, I'd second what others have said since the same shape is seen as a common Scorpion pheno, while the other images do look quite Butch-T like.

Those look like they are Moruga to me, but may have a little something else to them like Grover said above.   I grew some Morugas last year.  Here's some pics (Seed source was Chile Pepper Institute)

Back