• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Poblano

Shurbryn said:
Oh G, this is a Poblano thread. 
Oh gee….. I guess there's only one type of poblano now? It's just my imagination (and the imagination of many other growers out there) that there are different kinds and that they produce different size pods? Go figure.  :confused: 

mx5inpa said:
I'm not sure why you wouldnt expect tiny pods from a plant thats been in the same tiny container since last summer and just got planted a few days ago.
I'm not sure why you haven't ever seen a plant outgrow its pot nor a plant that has put out pods larger than the plant itself, since there are many examples on this site.
Whatever.  :rolleyes:

geeme said:
Oh gee….. I guess there's only one type of poblano now? It's just my imagination (and the imagination of many other growers out there) that there are different kinds and that they produce different size pods? Go figure.  :confused: 

I'm not sure why you haven't ever seen a plant outgrow its pot nor a plant that has put out pods larger than the plant itself, since there are many examples on this site.
Whatever.  :rolleyes:

I dont know what type. I think Judy only had one type 2 years ago when I bought the seeds.

There are examples of a poblano putting out huge pods in a one gallon pot that was overwintered and never had the soil changed and has an inch of dead roots circling the bottom? 

Thats a 6"x6" grid on the tomato cages. They'll be huge later.

qa65c4F.jpg

geeme said:

I thought there was. *shrug*

As you say, whatever :rolleyes:

Grill roasted, skinned on a nice toasted bun with burger, mayo, tomato, cheese, greens. Cold slaw or mustard potato salad.. Sounds so good, I thinks I'll do it tonight!

Scoville DeVille said:

Use them as you would Green Bells. That is how I use them mostly, raw, diced, in salads, sandwiches, veg platter with Ranch dip, or just sprinkled on stuff like eggs.
Yeah, I quit buying green "heartburn" bells a long time ago.

Simple recipe:
Cut the top off to remove stem. Slice in half top to bottom.
Fill with favorite cheese, and top with slice of bacon.
Place in pan in 425 oven until the cheese melts.
Switch to broiler and heat until the bacon browns.

Scoville DeVille said:

Cotija is not necessary. Use Cheddar, Moz, Jack, Ricotta, Velveeta, heck even Brie in a pinch. LOL

Here is my favorite Batter for rellenos. Tip: use cold eggs.
For a simple batter, whip 3-6 cold egg whites in a chilled bowl until they are stiff. Stir up the remaining yolks and slowly fold them in with a pinch of salt. Use approximately 2 large eggs for each pound of chiles, or 1 egg per extra-large chile.

If you want to go nuts, here is one of my recipes for Rojo sauce:

• 3 Tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 20 Blanched almonds
  • 1/2 cup green pumpkin seeds
  • 5-6 guajillo Chiles (dried)
  • 2-3 New Mexico Chiles (dried)
  • 2 Habaneros (dried)
  • 2 Tablespoons lard or vegetable oil (lard will make it more flavorful)
  • 2/3 cup finely diced white onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 1 Tbs Mexican whole Oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 pinches ground cinnamon
  • 5 cups chicken broth

Feels like discovering gold bullion ...

Back